The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Innovative motor mounts

34K views 184 replies 54 participants last post by  waydui 
#1 ·
hey guys, has anyone used the 75a or 85a innovative mounts yet ?

we started carrying them and i dont know which stiffness i'd like to get for myself yet, i'd like the 85a but i dont know if thats going to be comfortable on the street driving the car to work as often as i do. I wont have any problem with the 75a because im sure as stiff as it is i'll put up w/any vibrations because i need it that stiff so i dont break anything else and i'd like to remove the flex section from my exhaust and not have to worry about cracking any welds on anything like my turbo manifold.....again.

any input would be appreciated...thanks.

#7 ·
im waiting for them to both arrive back in stock, dont have them in yet, i keep selling them to people before i get to put them on my own car....but yes normaly i would like to have first hand information, otherwise i like to ask if i just dont have information on a specific product and i know some guys on here have them already that would be able to relay a little first hand experience.

#8 ·
Drove a cup car (not mine) with the 85's (I believe)...they work great at reducing engine movement and really improved this particular car's shifting issues under heavy braking. You will, however, notice a lot of additional vibration, especially at idle. For track cars this a total non-issue, but for daily drivers, in stop and go traffic, each person will have their own personal tolerance level. Personally, I wouldn't want the added vibration for street driving.....just my 2 cents, fwiw.

#10 ·
For a non track and just a street supercharged car, I was thinking just (one) a rear shock might reduce just enough movement without adding vibration for stop and go driving.

Anyone done something similar, like just one or two mounts?

#12 ·
it's amusing, many of the group are installing a loud muffler to tell the world how great the car is, the other half is disturbed by the slight difference in IDLE vibration that better motor mounts make....
i don't like noise but find the slight difference in vibration entirely acceptable, and even moreso when i see the engine banging around before i installed them.
they're easy to install, not expensive and work.
as the saying goes, "try it, you'll like it":clap:
sam

#16 ·
The ff damper only ameliorates the front to back engine rocking, not side to side. The damper doesn't solve the rocking problem though; it just makes it less noticeable. As your driving improves and you eventually venture onto tracks, the damper becomes less effective under hard braking.
I am looking at stiffer motor mounts because the damper can only handle so much movement.
The damper does a great job for aggressive street driving, but the track puts too much stress on it.
-Robert

#17 ·
Just for the record, the mounts Sector sells are Innovative 60A.

#18 ·
any pics of these mounts? i don't know how the mounts on these cars look like yet..

i have solid mounts all around for motor and tranny.. the vibration is very noticable.. i don't have a lotus but on any type of race car i have. i could tolorate the vibration..

#22 ·
I have the 75A Innovative motor mounts on my S240. With the front and rear mounts installed (but stock l/r mounts), the vibration is noticeable at idle, but it's actually a little less than with the Lotus Sport motor mounts (also f/r only). I'm in the process of installing the left and right 75A mounts, the right is in, but the left is being a PITA. It has the tightest access of the four, and I'm having difficulty getting the through-bolt in place (I need to lift the engine to get the mount to line up with the engine bracket). Any tips would be appreciated.

#39 ·
I figured out why the left-hand mount was being such a PITA, I'm a little surprised no one else has mentioned it. It turns out, the bracket for the left-hand mount (at least on my '08 Exige) has two tabs that extend into the mount area, that interfere with the rubber Innovative mount (there's clearance there on the stock mount). It looks like the tabs are there to help locate the stock mount, probably during assembly, it doesn't look like they have a function otherwise. I ended up removing the bracket from the engine and using a cut-off wheel on my dremel to remove the "tabs". Sorry, I didn't take any pics.

To get access (to remove the engine bracket), you need to remove the big funky bracket that supports the coolant overflow tank. I actually disconnected the wire and hoses to the coolant recirculation pump and pulled the bracket and pump together (the bracket is strapped to the electric pump). Of course you have to pull the coolant overflow tank first. Once you have access to the 3 bolts holding down the engine mount bracket it's pretty straightforward.

The left-hand mount is definitely the worst of the 4 to install.

#25 ·
Shinoo,
Are you coming out with a "street" version soon because my ff engine damper
is crying out for mercy?
For the record, are your "track" mounts the 60a urethane?\
-Robert

p.s. You out to have a "track only" parts sale so guys and gals can have something to do before the spring season begins.

#27 ·
Yes, our version is the softest durometer. You won't want anything harder for street use - frankly we believe it is all you will need for track use as well.
Our kit is not for the faint of heart. You will get vastly improved shifting action.

#28 · (Edited)
Well I finally drove my car with the new motor mounts in the hills yesterday and to work from Berkeley to Concord Ca. today.
The car feels much faster, more responsive and a bit more stable transitionally. The engine is no longer flopping about as you try to maneuver the chassis through a tight set of twisties.
Shifting is a bit less rubbery(I have the inline sequential shifter that Shinoo used to market) but less improved than I had expected.
If you have ever driven a GT3RS or even RSR it would be comparable as far as vibration. The vibration is a good thing as it improves your feel for what is actually happening behind you. I don't think that going stiffer would help any more unless it would be for a pure race application in which case solid mounts would probably be best.
Since my car is stripped to the bone I can't really make a recommendation as to how they would be in a street driven stock Elise/Exige. They would likley seem a bit less harsh in a car with all of its insulation and sound deadening pads, etc. still intact..
Shinoo, can you specify what stiffness I specifically have for comparison purposes?
OVERALL ....GREAT JOB SHINOO! :up:

#30 ·
Are the black stiffer or a bit softer than the red? Shinoo??
I received the red and they do telegraph a LOT of vibration through the frame at idle. I like it better though as you have seen how far I have taken my car away from a stock configuration.
Good job Shinoo!:clap:

#33 ·
right, i doubt you have 95A unless you ordered them that way, i have only sold people 85A's like the ones i'll be using pictured above. They also make a solid billet mount for the hard core race/track cars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.