The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

LETSLA Short Shifter Linkage

139K views 610 replies 128 participants last post by  dipan 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello. I am introducing the LETSLA. Lotus Elise/Exige Transmission Shifter Linkage Assembly. After months of design and redesign I have the final version in my own car and it works great. It makes the car feel and shift the way it always should have. It will be available to ship in about two-four weeks, but if you want to purchase now to get on the list of one of the first ones to get it you can. I am just waiting on the final batch of a single production part to be run and shipped to me. The pictures do not do it justice as I do not have a high end camera that can take close up pictures. When you see it you will see how it looks like a work for art made for the Lotus.
Trueleo LETSLA

Here is the basic information from the site.
When I first drove the Elise I could not believe how amazing the car was and felt, yet there was one portion that just did not fit in a car of this caliber, the shifting. The stock shifter has so much play and such long throws it feels like we are driving a truck and I found this to be totally unacceptable. I have driven many mid engine cars in the past and the stock Elise has the worst shifter feel and throw by far. We have redesigned the entire linkage assembly in Solidworks at the transmission side. This will replace the linkage assembly at the transmission with an adjustable assembly with 4 sealed cartridge bearings and 4 rod end bearings instead of bushings. It will also have adjustments so the end user can pick how much throw they would desire. This will allow for a much shorter and faster shifting throw with less play for more accurate and direct shifting. The linkage assembly also weights about 1lb and the stock unit is about 3-4lbs. Installation instructions here.

Note- I have the final production model in my own car and the shifting and feel is so much better than I could have even hoped for when designing the assembly. It transforms the driving experience from fumbling with the long throws and bad shifting to a precise and crisp action that just feels perfect in a car of this caliber. We will have detailed installation instructions up soon, but the initial installation was very simple and no special tools are required. Installation should only take about an hour if you are taking your time. Contact us if you have any further questions Troy@Trueleo.com

See less See more
#109 · (Edited)
Below are the measurements for my shifter versus a stock shifter. I have my shifter set one hole from the shortest throw for the bellcrank shift lever (front to back) and the middle adjustment hole for the crossgate lever (side to side). These measurements were taken from the top of the shift ball. I used the horizontal line between the numbers as the reference point for measuring front to back movements and the 1 for measuring the side to side movements. The side to side was from the 1/2 position across to the 5/6 position (I did not include the lateral movement from going into reverse).

<table border=1 cellpadding=2 cellspacing=0> <th align=center colspan=4><b>Shifter Throw Distances</b></th> <tr> <td align=center> </td> <td width=80 align=center><b>Stock</b></td> <td width=80 align=center><b>LETSLA</b></td> <td width=80 align=center><b>delta</b></td> </tr> <tr> <td align=left><b>1st to 2nd</b></td> <td align=right>4.65 in.</td> <td align=right>3.27 in.</td> <td align=right>1.38 in.</td> </tr> <tr> <td align=left><b>3rd to 4th</b></td> <td align=right>4.61 in.</td> <td align=right>3.23 in.</td> <td align=right>1.38 in.</td> </tr> <tr> <td align=left><b>5th to 6th</b></td> <td align=right>4.65 in.</td> <td align=right>3.27 in.</td> <td align=right>1.38 in.</td> </tr> <tr> <td align=left><b>crossgate</b></td> <td align=right>3.39 in.</td> <td align=right>2.52 in.</td> <td align=right>0.87 in.</td> </tr></table>

#110 ·
I realize those are your "throw distances" but you can also keep both front-to-back and side-to-side the stock distances, yes?

#111 ·
The furthest adjustment holes out from the pivot points should be very close to stock (if not exactly).

#112 · (Edited)
how does it compared to a Honda S2000 shifter? I consider that the benchmark for shifter throw and feel.

I have a short throw shifter on my Cobra, and even though it's accurate and short throw its is still miles away from the S2k stock shifter. The S2k shifts like toggle switches while my Cobra shift like I'm moving a hammer thru water. (right now, even with both shifter reinforcement mods, my Exige S still feels like shifting wet noodles.)

#114 ·
how does it compared to a Honda S2000 shifter? I consider that the benchmark for shifter throw and feel.

.)
I have always considered the early Lotus Elan to be THE benchmark for shifter throw and feel.

Second is the Caterham with the crossflow engine...but in the Caterham it is not as silky smooth as the Elan. Nothing shifts like an Elan.

#156 ·
Not too many people have direct experience with the Elan, but I can't imagine it can be better then the s2k shifter :shrug:
After owning an Elan for years I'm always amazed how sloppy the gear change is in any newer car. Just my 2 cents.

#115 · (Edited by Moderator)
My car prior to this, by two weeks, was an 05 S2000 (they had a great lease in Aug 05 at $297 a month). I think that is a big reason why I felt like I needed to make the LETSLA and what I tried to make it feel like. After 3 years of driving the S2000 it just felt natural and the Elise did not. The shifter feel on the S2000 was nice for sure, quick and smooth. The shifter on the Elise with the LETSLA now feels much closer to the S2000 and I am totally happy with it as it feels natural. I feel like I can feel the transmission again and what it going on. I can once again drive without the clutch all day long with no issues.

I have a short throw shifter on my Cobra, and even though it's accurate and short throw its is still miles away from the S2k stock shifter. The S2k shifts like toggle switches while my Cobra shift like I'm moving a hammer thru water. (right now, even with both shifter reinforcement mods, my Exige S still feels like shifting wet noodles.)

#118 ·
Slick shifters

I have a 289 Cobra(a real one),a 1962 Elite (ZF box)and a 1970 Elan with an ultra close ratio box--------I have had an S2000.
IMHO, NOTHING shifts better than the early Elan. NOTHING!
But this is off topic,as our new Lotus are mid-engine,and the shifter cannot be as good as a front engine,RWD car. Cayman/Boxster is very good,however.:shift::shift::shift::shift::shift::shift:
and I have very good expectations for this LESLA.

#119 ·
Just and update. I did receive word over the weekend that the part needed is in transit and shipped. I should have them today or tomorrow and will ship out on Wednesday or Thursday.

On a side note I did read over Lotustalk threads and others last week that the end of the cables can break and the sheathing can break also. I took mine apart to see if there is a solution or if it is a really a problem. What I noticed is that the solid portion of the cable is to short by design, especially on the crossgate cable. What can happen when using the stock linkage is the solid portion almost comes all the way out and then only a tiny portion is in and that puts a lot of stress on the end of the solid portion to braided cable inner. So when I see pics of the failure I know why it happens now. Now with the LETSLA more of the solid portion stays in the sheathing so it should have less chance of braking. Also the angle the solid portion comes out is straighter with the new cable bracket so there should be even less chance of breaking. I have also looked at both the 05 and new cable design that Lotus has on the 07-08 Exige cars and maybe Elise cars of that year and the only difference I can see is that the sheathing is 12.5mm thick instead of 11mm thick.

Now I did come up with a simple solution so that the cable ends and sheath are more protected just to be anal (these are the odd things that keep me up at night pondering). I also just want to put out there that I have not had any failures or problems with the cables or sheath like this at all or in any way in all the installs I have done or my own car. I am just super anal about making sure everything works right and for a long time. I debated on even making the sheath protector as I did not want to make it out that there were any failures and it might be construed that way, but I am thinking it is better to do it and make our cars better for the long run. Plus, I like making items and coming up with solutions to known problems. Now working on a cable solution also in the future I see how much cables cost so any extra protection is a good idea. What the solution is an aluminum tube that slides over the sheathing and clamps on it and also extends the sheathing size. It is a very simple solution, not super elegant and pretty, but simple. What this will do is basically make the sheathing longer so the solid portion of the cable does not have the chance to be at an angle and break the end of the sheathing or break away from the inner cable braided portion. I am going to include this with the kit now. You do not have to put it on when installing, but better to be safe and have no worries. The way I think about it is this, I put it on my own car because I would rather be safe then worry about it later so I would do it others as I do to my self. When I did the installs over the weekend I also put it on their cars when I showed them what it was and that made me decided to include it in the kit. So when ordering the kit just let me know what car you are putting it in as I will need to include the sheathing protector for the earlier model car or later model car.

Troy

#121 ·
Troy

Mine is an 2008 S240.

Thanks

Just and update. I did receive word over the weekend that the part needed is in transit and shipped. I should have them today or tomorrow and will ship out on Wednesday or Thursday.

So when ordering the kit just let me know what car you are putting it in as I will need to include the sheathing protector for the earlier model car or later model car.

Troy

#120 · (Edited)
I just had Troy do the shifter update for my S-240. I can't believe the difference!!! It reminds me of the Hurst Speed Shifter I had in my Sunbeam Tiger with 2 more gears :). I'll have to measure the throw from 1st to 2nd but it's not much. Now why couldn't Lotus do this from the get go. As far as the previous poster stating the Boxster/Cayman shifter is not bad; I had a Cayman and it's VERY sloppy compared to Troy's solution.

If you only do 1 update to you Lotus, this is the one to get :D

I'm extremely happy :shift:

#123 ·
#124 ·
I have a shipping question for you. My address is a APO AP military address. Cost of shipping is to Cali 96367, but I'd need it shipped via USPS Priority Mail and you'll still have to put a customs form on the box. Would this be an issue for you?

This post has been deleted
#127 ·
I'll have that many more miles on the car by the time it arrives. I'll be at the track this weekend and will be in Houston for a race (Lemons, won't be racing the Exige) the week thereafter.

#129 ·
I forgot to add. Troy did my installation so it went fairly smooth with a couple of differences between the Exige S and the S-240. I would not rate this as an easy install but it's not the toughest either. I really liked Troy's Lotus tool for finding things that fall onto the under tray :bow:

I would rate it 6 head bangs: :wallbang::wallbang::wallbang::wallbang::wallbang::wallbang: out of 10...

As I stated, if you only do one update for your Lotus, believe me, this is the one to get. It's well worth it!

#131 ·
What were the differences betwwen the Exige S and the S240?

#132 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have shipped to an APO many times so it is not big deal. Just use the standard US rate and I will take care of the rest for you.
I have a shipping question for you. My address is a APO AP military address. Cost of shipping is to Cali 96367, but I'd need it shipped via USPS Priority Mail and you'll still have to put a customs form on the box. Would this be an issue for you?
MaineLotus - Thanks for the link as I have not seen the solution before. I see the pic and his solution changes the sheath all together, which would work also. Mine covers the sheath and extends it. Both will do the same thing in the end, basically some solution for the same problem. Awsome and I am glad there are solutions to the problem.

There were not any differences from the S to S240. The difference was when taking off the center console as his was covered in leather and harder to line up the two screws that hold it in place as Lotus did not give extra clearance for that and you really have to wiggle the console to get the holes to line up (thanks Lotus). I think Bull may have meant from the Elise other than that as I did the S240 and then S install back to back over the weekend. The only thing different on the S or S240 to Elise was to remove the intercooler pipe, and that is just two hose clamps and you pull off the alum u pipe. Easy! Just remember to tighten those hose clamps up really tight when putting it back on and yank on them to make double sure, don't ask me how I know.
What were the differences between the Exige S and the S240?
Here are some new pics of the newest shipment.

#133 ·
Hello Troy-

I've been subscribed to this thread for awhile. Thanks for your post about the sheath protector add-on/kit upgrade. Just took care of the PayPal transaction now and hope to join the LETSLA club soon.

It's been said before, and here it goes again: I am consistently blown away by the passion, enthusiasm and energy that people put into this community. While I don't post a ton, I have a panel of expert friends that I can lean on when I get jammed and am looking to make my Elise just a little bit better.

Thanks again for your hard work on this mod. The reviews have been superlative and I am sure that this kit will be one of those things that make me smile every time I'm bombin' around a track somewhere.

Best,

John

#135 ·
Expectant

Hi Troy I am looking forward to this mod, I am paid up, when should I expect this to arrive in Australia (Elise 2006).Will the cable sheath be with it ?

#138 ·
I just looked at the thread again. He posted a picture on 2-13-09. I had my design done before that and had it in my car before that. I even put in installs over the weekend of ones that have been made and sitting in my shop. I have sent emails to someone on the forum asking them if they would want to test it out when I was testing out my own long before that picture was posted because I trusted his opinion as a mechanical engineer and he has the LETSLA already installed in his car. I do not steel ideas and he came up with a similar solution because it is a good viable solution. Nothing wrong with that and actually it shows it is a good solution if more than one person came up with the same idea. I have read monkeytuner when someone sent me a link to the site saying that they were bashing me. I did not create an account or try to defend myself as the product will stand up to time and will do its own talking. Just come over and drive my car or someone elses who has it and you will see what it is about. I do not like bashing and will not go back and forth like that. It is not worth the effort and bad energy.
Aslo- Boosted 2.0- Did you used to be on the MR2 board? Did you have an MR2? I seem to remember a boosted 2.0 over there.
HTML:
Huh, you must read www.monkeytuner.com. Frank came up with this exact solution a while ago

Should only take a 5-10 days for shipping there. I hope to have the sheaths by Thursday Friday so I can ship on Friday or Saturday.
HTML:
Hi Troy I am looking forward to this mod, I am paid up, when should I expect this to arrive in Australia (Elise 2006).Will the cable sheath be with it ?

#143 ·
I just looked at the thread again. He posted a picture on 2-13-09. I had my design done before that and had it in my car before that. I even put in installs over the weekend of ones that have been made and sitting in my shop. I have sent emails to someone on the forum asking them if they would want to test it out when I was testing out my own long before that picture was posted because I trusted his opinion as a mechanical engineer and he has the LETSLA already installed in his car. I do not steel ideas and he came up with a similar solution because it is a good viable solution. Nothing wrong with that and actually it shows it is a good solution if more than one person came up with the same idea. I have read monkeytuner when someone sent me a link to the site saying that they were bashing me. I did not create an account or try to defend myself as the product will stand up to time and will do its own talking. Just come over and drive my car or someone elses who has it and you will see what it is about. I do not like bashing and will not go back and forth like that. It is not worth the effort and bad energy.
Aslo- Boosted 2.0- Did you used to be on the MR2 board? Did you have an MR2? I seem to remember a boosted 2.0 over there.
I do post on spyderchat if thats what you're talking about.

I did register on MR2OC after I got my alltrac to buy and sell stuff from time to time and to chat about EMS, engine, tubo etc. but my name on there is Griffin not Boosted2.0 and I rarely use that forum. I think there is a guy on there called Boosted2 (as in Boosted MR2) which may be who you are thinking of.

I've had a MK1 MR2 and I also drove a MR2 spyder for a couple months but never bought one. I will probably get one for my wife as a birthday present one of these years though, as she loves the little things and they are a hell of a value for the money.

#140 ·
troy...

The MM guys are bashing you? that's a hoot. I didn't think anybody even went to that site anymore...

Don't sink to that level. Your product is great. You've got boxes of parts ready to assemble to ship to Hong Kong, Japan, australia, across the U.S., and who knows where else?

You have actually contributed something to the Lotus community from which a wide variety of people can enjoy and take advantage of.

#144 ·
Regardless if it's bashing or not, I think the lesson to be learned is to ask questions if you don't understand something. To come to this site (or any other for that matter) and take everything that someone say as gospel isn't too smart. Most of us come here to learn something. We all should be using this board and others like it as a resource to better understand what mods we're putting on our cars and what the possible potential impact is down the road.

#145 ·
Forget the crap... All I know is that Troy developed the kit, followed through and manufactured the parts and marketed his product... What's best is that it lives up to it's billing at a VERY reasonable price...

I took the car out today for a spin since the weather was so nice and this IS the best mod I have done to my car... I can't tell everyone enough as to how much more enjoyable my car is to drive and I couldn't drive it enough before... :D

Troy, thanks for taking the time on Sunday to install your shifter kit in my car.

#146 ·
Boosted2.0. You are probably right and I think I did over react as now I have reread it. Maybe I read in between the lines of the Mainlotus comment about coming up with a solution a while ago when it was just a couple of days based on the posting date. I guess I felt my integrity was in question and I went into defense mode as I pride myself on outstanding integrity. I have materials receipts and email proof I came up with a similar idea before he posted his pictures, but do I need to post those to defend myself? I think I am hypersensitive to it because I put so much effort and time into this project to make sure it is just right and then went and read on some other site all the bashing and they never saw or used the product or know me at all. I did read a few weeks ago when it was brought up about he cable sheath braking and that is what sparked my idea to make the sheath protector as I did not know what was a problem. I have not read every post made for the last 4 years. They can assume I stole the idea, which I did not, and if I did base mine on someone else I would certainly give credit where it is due, but it is not due here. I purchased the material and made some prototypes a week or so ago, before he posted his picture. I just came up with a similar solution on my own to solve the same problem. Mine is different in it covers the sheath and extends it, but the end solution of not having a broken sheath is the same. Both are good ideas and I give Frank credit for a great idea and he has done a lot with his motor and car and I am very impressed with it. We came up with similar ideas and solved the same problem in a similar manner so both have merit.
HTML:
Geez - over-react much?

#148 ·
Its the logical solution to the problem to be sure. Beats the hell out of re-designing the entire shift cable (although a nice heavy duty Teleflex ball bearing cable might not be such a bad thing either)

FWIW all I was talking about was that aluminum sheath which is a minimal part of your kit which, while I havent used it, certanly looks really cool.

If you guys REALLY want to start playign with the shifying start looking at the shift shafts and the select shaft - those items are where the actual shift pattern lives, and some slight massaging to the chamfered corners can widen up the gate mouths considerably.

If you want to reduce the strain on the cables you can also look at changing out the springs in the select shaft - if you can still buy the 00 or 01 Celica springs they are way softer.

The downside of all this is it makes it easier to stuff her into the wrong gear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.