The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Sunroof question -- just curious

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  BlackSheep 
#1 · (Edited)
Does anyone know why the sun roof opening was made much smaller on the later Esprits?

On my SE, the opening was right where the sun visors ended. On my V8, the trim extends several inches back, which makes it feel much less open.

I did notice they wisely switched to real glass. The plexi top on the SE bubbled from the heat.

#7 ·
Is Saratoga still in business? I did a Google search and couldn't find anything pertaining to Lotus Esprit only Porsche.

I did see one for sale once on eBay but it was for a Stevens Esprit if I recall. My car has the composite roof and I would love a glass one even if it's plexy-glass.

#9 ·
I have a factory OEM glass sunroof (supposedly from a V8) that is on my 88.

My understanding is any plastic (Plexiglas(TM)) sunroof is aftermarket and would be different.

When you say 'opening', you seem to be referring to the actual CLEAR portion of the glass roof? My glass roof has about 3 inchs of black border on the front edge - is THAT what you are talking about?

The actual roof opening on the car is supposedly the same on all Stevens Esprits, but that's my theory as the sunroof part number is the same. I do know the later Stevens front bonnet is different than my 88 so maybe they did the roof too.

Here's a photo of my sunroof:

#11 ·
Only difference I see in my 88 and my 97 is that my 88's composite roof is slightly tapered in at the rear of it, and my v8 does not.. And my V8 has a headliner and my 88 does not. You are correct, the front bonnet on my 88 does not have the black "rounded" trim towards the windshield that the 97 does.. I believe they changed that to give the car a more rounded look when they went to the V8 design.

#10 ·
My SE came with factory plexi top. Same with other friends with SE's.

I am taking about the interior trim panel that holds the visors. It extends into the opening to make it smaller by several inches.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.