The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Just got a terrible phonecall...

13K views 52 replies 28 participants last post by  darcivic00si 
#1 ·
So I PCS'd from Hawaii to the UK (USAF) and I was having my friend look after my car (2005 Titanium Elise) and he called me today saying that it was totaled...

"I was going down the hill and the dip at the bottom made the back end slip away, I tried to correct it but I started spinning around and was going backwards. It went to the right and jumped over a curve and smashed a railing on the side walk."
This is pretty much all the information I have at the moment and am pretty devastated...Will update with pictures as soon as I get them...I feel like a big part of me has died. :wallbang::wallbang::wallbang::wallbang::wallbang:

#2 ·
Make that former friend!

#5 ·
Really? What kind of friendship is that?

I heard of a guy who placed a note in the glove box of his prize possession car - attached to the insurance papers. The note was to anyone in his family, reminding them that as much as he loved his car, THEY were more important to him than a collection of metal parts.

On the other hand, if the friend is bailing on his responsibilities, the relationship could change... Hope this works out. Hope your friend is OK.

#12 ·
I try my best to avoid these types of situations. That goes for all situations that could damage relations with friends or family. I just wouldn't let anyone drive anything of mine that isn't a "normal" car. Well damn, I always refuse to co-sign for any family member who has even asked. This keep potential bad scenarios from happening.

#13 ·
MY first response to you was going to be , "kill your friend... you will feel better....:mad::mad:" But you are handling it amazingly well! It reminds me of a Richard Bach story from one of his early books regarding flyingacross the country with a friend who flew, as I recall, a Luscombe. The friend finally wore Bach down and talked him into letting him fly Bach's tricky-Fleet-biplane. Bach was actually recording the flight from the ground with an old camera, and of course the friend wrapped the plane up on landing. Bach wrote that his initial response was lowering the camera to scream, but then military training kicks in and he filmed the aftermath of the wreck while "thinking of a fitting understatement to give his friend as he climbed from the wreckage."

friendship is the best thing on earth.

#16 ·
I am all for forgiveness and not over emphasizing material items over human well being.

That being said I would still be pissed as hell at my friend.

To me it works like this "you know how much I cared about the car. I trusted you with it, yet you still thought you would push your luck by driving it past your limit. It really shows a lack of respect for me and a lack of integrity"

Anyways sorry about your car (and my tangent)

#18 ·
friends driving your Lotus

The best man for my wedding took my '84 Turbo Esprit out for a drive with his girlfriend the DAY before my wedding and overheated it BIG time. I denied my bride the white limo ride on the big day because I thought it would be much more impressive (to me, at least!) to pull away from the church in a Lotus. The car ran and sounded like CRAP the next day, I think he had blown the head gasket, but I was able to limp away from the church. At the reception some of my new "American car only" in-laws ribbed me to no end. We were both newly minted USAF lieutenants at the time. Nearly 20 years later, I'm still married to the same woman, still in the Air Force, still consider the best man my best friend (though he bought me beer for a LONG time as it proved to be an expensive rebuild), and still drive a Lotus (an Exige now).

#20 ·
It IS only a car. That is what insurance is for. If your friend is OK that is what is important.

I take care of my friends Caterham and Elise while he is living in the far east.

I do drive his cars, not often as I have the same cars myself, but if something would happen, I know he would understand.

Think how unimportant the car would be if his friend has been seriously hurt or worse.

#22 ·
Sorry for the late responses I just got the pictures back from the insurance company and they basically gave me thumbnails so I cant really assess the damage but im trying to get bigger ones...

#24 ·
I appreciate your attitude and most everyone else's optimistic platitudes. But after seeing the pics, I would have to know that the geographic area that the friend was driving contained a hidden geometric anomaly.

Uhhhh ... that does not appear to be an innocent oops! But rather more of a "let's see what she will do" ... "oh cr*p!" result. You were letting your friend take care of your car and perhaps enjoy it, not "treat it like you stole it." He appears to have ripped a corner clean off. But like I said, it could have been a perfect storm ...

#25 ·
Knowing some of the roads in Hawaii I think it was a mix of the two. I believe it was a bad situations caused by some minor poor judgement that wasnt helped by the road or road conditions.

I have seen the wall he hit and its not a flat wall its one of those stone walls where the exterior has been left with the unfinished rock look so its totally possible that added a whole lot to the damage.

#26 ·
I've see your car at Windward Mall a few times, recognize ur first pic too! Sorry we never got to meet up before you left. I have the Saffron Yellow Elise with Silver Stripes and autocross numbers on the side.

Where did this happen? I'd like to make sure I don't do the same thing...

Aloha Oe!

#30 ·
In Kailua. I will try and get the exact spot but my memmory is spotty haha. I have seen your car (and its a beauty) on multiple occasions. I think the only time I remember being in the same car meet as you was the Toys for Tots and I had to leave that one early.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.