The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

My Elise needs new rears, suggestions?

3K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  brgelise 
#1 ·
I have stock 8 spoke wheels on my Touring Elise, and rear tires need replacement soon. I currently have Yoko AD07's for all four wheels. On Tirerack.com, it looks like only available front size is Neova Advan AD07's, but rears have many other choices. I read some threads on here to not mix-n-match fronts and rears types, my fronts have plenty of tread left, so I don't need to replace them yet. I don't track the car, just drive local and fwy, and occasionally on twisty mountain roads, seldom drive in the rain. I think summertime tire would be the best, there are a few choices so I would like some input. Also, other brands for front tires would be welcome. Basiclaly, what tire have you used before, and how the car handles with them...Thanks!

#3 ·
I used Toyo R1Rs on my Elise and they performed pretty well. Most common alternative to stock tires is the Toyo R888s. It's best to keep tires all the same...-definitely- don't use two different rear/two different front tires, and if you're going to be driving hard, it's better to cough up the extra money and make them all uniform.

Dunlop Star Specs are also popular, though I think I recall them not being rated as highly? I've personally never used them.

I can't recall what sizes the different tires come in, but I ran R1Rs and R888s on my touring 05 Elise.

#4 ·
You guys are all suggesting performance tires for a guy that indicated he casually drives.

I'd suggest the Dunlop Star Specs or the Yoko Sdrives. I'm using the S Drives right now. Initially, when I started using them I hated them. Their turn in feels like trash when you are changing from AD07s. After a hundred miles or so, they get better. The wet handling is better and the ride is much much nicer ... added bonus, they are 120ish a pop and last longer. I wouldn't worry about different tires too much. Mine came with two different types (Front rear, not left right of course) and the difference is irrelevant in the city.

Personally, I got a second set of wheels so I can have my serious tires and my DD tires. If you start being serious, I'd suggest the same. Until then save yourself a few bucks and get quieter tires. (Your significant other will thank you when you can talk in the car at highway speeds)

#5 ·
The Elise I just bought has the S Drives as well, and they seemed nice enough on the 1100+ mile drive home. Certainly quieter than the stage 2 exhaust on the highway. Haven't really had a chance to try any quick curves since I'm still getting used to her. The back tires did go a little side ways when I launched from a stop though, despite having 245s in the rear and 205s in the front. Not totally sure about the previous owner's tire choice from what I've read so far, but I'm still loving the car. Plus I AM really happy with the previous owner's decision to put a Rev 300 on it. :)

#9 ·
I've tried a few different tires over the years and BY FAR the best I've found for all around driving on the rear is the the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3.

They are directional, they handle amazingly and they are even good in wet conditions. Not to mention they look awesome with a nice wide stance. And for your wallet's sake they last a long time. Unlike my original Yokos where you merely blink your eyes and look down to find no tread left. I still run with Yokos up front because they don't wear out anywhere near as fast as the rears do.

They are summer tires and have very nice performance. Most of my driving is street with some occasional spirited driving through curvy hill country roads. Though I don't get there often, when at the track I've never reached their limit and they seem to have such a high confidence inspiring limit that you would be hard pressed to exceed that limit.

There are lots of different varieties of Goodyear Eagle tires but the F1 GS-D3 is the one that seems custom made for the Lotus Elise.

Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3

Attachments

#10 ·
Goodyears

+1 on the Goodyears. I went through 2 rear sets while I had the Elise - 36K miles total in 6 years. Replaced the fronts at 36K miles with OEM tires - since they lasted so well, why try something different.

#11 ·
Is that a 255 rear Goodyear you have pictured?

#13 ·
I'm with Sith33. I've got AD08's on the rear. I don't know what the differences are between the 07's and 08's but I don't notice an issue. And your driving situation is similar to mine. Not cheap though. I replaced the 2 rears with 08's from Tire Rack for $750.

#17 ·
I am running stock tires on the fronts, and Falken Azenis on Rears. The Falkens have been REALLY great tires. I would argue that they feel exactly like the stock tires. Also the Falkens I have found to be just a tad less expensive. I think I am also getting an extra 2-5k miles more on them as well. Highly recommend.

#21 ·
I'm running A048's now, ADO7's were good but after driving an Exige with AO48's decided worth a try. Looking forward to warm weather to really work'em hard. Rears go quick though, @17K used 2 RR sets of 07's, don't expect 48's to last but who cares its all about having fun and scaring passengers.........

#24 ·
How old are the fronts. They turn into rocks after 5 years! Replace all 4.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.