The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

"Paris 5" New Lotus Models Officially Canned

2K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  Shawn C 
#1 ·
#8 ·
Hmm. I got to that article through SELOC. They're usually pretty reliable, and they reference the DRB Hicom event which only occurred a few days ago. I think the point is not that the plan isn't going to happen, because everybody already suspected that, but this is the first official confirmation. It's interesting because basically they're saying that either Proton made the decision, before the DRB Hicom acquisition, or that Dany himself had already done it. I'm guessing however that it was Proton, in the days between Dany and the official acquisition by DRB Hicom.

Of some concern is that they reference updating the Exige and Evora, but do not mention the Esprit. The Elise doesn't need updating right now, as they've given it a facelift and it has new engines, and sells at a different price point. Perhaps the Exige will take the place of the Evora, and the Evora will move further upscale.

DRB-Hicom – ‘Paris Five’ canned, Lotus not to be sold | SELOC

#4 ·
Wait! I thought the Espirt was the only one that would be produced since the development costs had already been spent.

#5 ·
the article says the PARIS esprit is dead. it does not say (actually does say it might be alive) that THE esprit is dead. rumors surround about a re-trench to the pre-danny esprit specification - 3rd party engine, no kers, no metal panels, etc..

who knows... but the article seems consistent with recent news. everyone knew the paris cars were never happening. this article is just saying DRB confirmed they were internally canned before they bought proton.

it is a shame that a snake oil salesman lined his pockets, set lotus back 3 years, did massive damage that potentially could end Lotus... there are any number of 100,000 people that could have done a far better job running lotus.

#18 ·
With regards to the £270 million loan (RM1.3 billion) from six financial institutions, Mohd Khamil said that the loan has been used up, with £88 million (RM425 million) pumped into Lotus to date, adding that the loan was to be paid back when it matures.
So out of a £270 million loan, if £88 million was pumped into Lotus, and the loan is used up, does that man Danny and swizzy pocketed the other £182million?

wouldn't put it past them, but I'd be expecting it to be paid back.... That or there's a SERIOUS clerical error somewhere

#19 ·
That is absolutely disgusting that they (he) gave them two cars, one being a freaking GTE. I thought maybe they paid for at least one and the GTE on loan...since it wasn't Fed'd.

I know there was an argument back when DB was hired as CEO as he was openly "not a car guy" and how that should have been good for business. I still think Lotus needs to be run by someone with the passion/sickness that embodies Lotus fandom. "if you build it, they will come"...not commercialize it as a tool for A-->B and looking cool in videos. Perhaps produce a modern Cortina for the masses but keep the brand to its core passion and engineering genius.

#21 ·
At least the car made it into a video . Im sorry, Worst rapper ever??

Spotted: Swizz Beatz Drives a Chrome Lotus Evora GTE Road Car in New "Street Knock" Video | Complex

Ridin' around in my Lotus, sitting back and I'm focused
On that west side - hocus pocus
***** see them pipes, coming out at night
****** acting crazy, we don't really fight
Hit back with them hammers, watch out for them cameras
****** coming through, popo put you in them slammers
I ain't got no time, I ain't doin' no crime
Why you're talking to me, I ain't' dropping no dime
Sitting back in my shirt, Givenchy on my back
?, bringing the dog back
LOX is here, we back up in here
Yeah Double R here we come to share
We back and I'm chillin, came back and I'm healing
****** talking crazy then make a killing
Took over them companies, took over dem trees
Kept them in my flight, passport over seas

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.