The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

SMOG CHECK QUESTION...

8K views 58 replies 21 participants last post by  Lotusmotion 
#1 ·
Yup my first smog check is coming up.

I have DECAT+Arqray since day one=won't pass smog.

Will have to put stock cat + OEM exhaust on.

HOWEVER, diffuser doesn't have hole for OEM exhaust

QUESTION: You think techs will give me a hard time with no diffuser and naked rear?

DUE TO LACK OF TIME: entertaining taking the car to shop to switch exahust and do smog. Quotes are $200 + smog fees. Sounds high for a few minute exhaust bolt and unbolt.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

#6 ·
I would just throw the CAT back on and be done with it.... then remove it. The diffusor and panel are a non issue as stated.

#8 ·
You can test it with no clam for all that matter. Body panels have absolutely no effect on smog test results.

Just make sure your Cat is on and your 02 sensors are there too. What exhaust you have does not matter at all, as long as its after the cat.

Make sure you are stock in terms of other emission components. (evap must be there, intake must be the stock one bc we don't have a carb legal one except the hks i think)

Make sure you have no check engine light

If you turn off the check engine light you should drive it 50-100 miles for the computer to relearn itself.

I'm a smog tech also

#16 ·
Klint my car has had NO CAT + Arqray since I bought it new (literally changed the exhaust the first week)

The 02 has a L shaped bung on there, that never worked (CEL was on)

So after all these years, if I swap the OEM cat back on, will I need a new 02 sensor? Did the 02 sensor go bad for any reason (smelling no cat air?)

Thanks.

#11 ·
mine's coming up by end of the year, but I have a header.. Wonder if will pass with sport cat, stock ECU and throw on the stock exhaust.

#12 ·
Ara

One or my neighbors about a mike down passed with sport cat. Rest of car stock. I have passed other cars with headers, but they were "friendly" techs ;)

I miss the days of calling in and havung the smog done for $150, without ever having to go to the station.

#17 ·
Your second oxygen sensor should be fine if it was in the exhaust stream. Long time exposure to the elements (if it was just left hanging in the rain), and using leaded fuel (and some of the aftermarket octane boosters in your fuel) is what is known to kill the sensor which was connected up post-cat.

#19 · (Edited)
Lotuscupcar, are you still non-op or did you get smogged? My smog is due this Thursday. I'm having a hard time even getting a place to pretest my car. The shops say they can't do it, don't know how to do it (never tested a lotus before), and/or that I need to go to the dealer to get smogged!

#20 ·
Lotuscupcar, are you still non-op or did you get slogged? My smog is due this Thursday. I'm having a hard time even getting a place to pretest my car. The shops say they can't do it, don't know how to do it (never tested a lotus before), and/or that I need to go to the dealer to get smogged!
I just non op'd the car, since I don't have the time to switch the cat out.

#28 ·
That's complete bs on whoever said that. EVERY smog station can test ANY car.

I have a smog tech license , I don't know why you guys are having such trouble getting these cars smogged. There is nothing to it.

They don't have to do anything , no timing , no egr check no gas cap check.

One of the easiest cars to test.

#23 ·
I'm definitely not in the same boat as you other guys (I only have a Stage 2 on it with an O2 sensor giving me a sporatic problem) but I just got my car smogged at a place a couple miles from my house. It's a one man smog shop that I take all of my cars to. The older guy running the place said it was the second Lotus that he's smogged in 23 years. He said the first was a red Elan ... a long time ago. Of course mine passed ...and he thanked me for letting him smog it and said he enjoyed it. :)

Good luck guys!!!

#27 ·
Smogged mine in July, just a factory stage2 exhaust on it. Smog tech had no idea what he was looking at but he did visually verify that i had a cat and gas cap and ran the test as normal. No issues stock and any smog guy you trust can run it as all obd cars run the same method. I also have received the recall notice for the vin reflash and either mine is good or the smog guy didn't catch it.

Sent from my MB860 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#32 ·
Anybody have any thoughts on what is a reasonable amount to pay to have a shop swap out the cat/exhaust for OEM, so I can smog it?

I will want to swap it back after smog. So ideally if a smog shop was next to the repair shop would be ideal.

#34 ·
So $400 bucks Nick? Been over at the hospital a bunch, don't see you the benz or the elise.. (though I thnik of your car as Johns Elise, since I have such a history with that car and have known it so many years, and my parts are on your car :p )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.