The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

CO Elise with blue wheels ?

5K views 27 replies 22 participants last post by  slolotus 
#1 ·
Not everyone's cup of tea, I know. But I'm gonna try it. I already bought one can of plastidip. If it turns out bad, it's easy to remove.

The car:

The goal; blue wheels like this GT3-RS:

Anyone ever attempted this before ?

See less See more
#4 ·
What shade of blue? It could look really good or really bad depending on the exact shade. A pale blue, like on that GT3, would look not so good (imho) with orange. A bright blue would look ok I think!

#5 ·
John from Northstar Motorsports here in Chicagoland has an awesome Riveria Blue GT3RS with Orange bits and it looks awesome, but orange with blue? Hmmm.

Depends on the shade of blue, but it could come across lookng like a Denver Broncos/Boise State Cowboys clown car....

Ryan Clady (who played for both) wouldn't fit in it, but it would work for him! :)

#13 ·
ummm i thought i might like it...untili saw the picture...i threw up in my mouth a little bit and had to swallow it cuzz im in a restaurant.

#17 ·
I really like your black wheels, but it's not like you can't undo or repaint them another color should you tire of blue. But notice that the Porsche has color cues that the car's wheels are picking up. In your instance, your trim pieces are primarily black, which match your wheels nicely.

vincesf

#19 ·
Blue wheels on orange? Not working so well. Stick with black.

#21 ·
Now if the stripes matched the wheels... Or is it a reflection issue

#24 ·
Gators fan? I did the colored wheels thing for a bit. It was fun while it lasted, but I was glad to clean up the look. Dont forget about brake dust either! Gotta love black wheels in that respect.

#26 ·
You can always take the paint off later ...

#28 ·
wheel color choices

several commentors made reference to a color combo looking goo on ewaht (blue car, orange trim) and not the reverse (orange car, blue trim). they are exactly correct.

I am a graphic designer and color theory applies regardless of media (two dimensional art or 3-d auto). while orange and blue are complimentary, they are not EQUAL. in this case blue is the dominant color and that is why blue with orange highlights works, but not the opposite. i have also seen this in my ducati club. red motorcycles with yellow frame and wheels looks great. but yellow bikes with red wheels and frame look terrible. in this case, red is the dominant color.

whatever you decide to color your wheels. i recommend you DON'T use paint. it is too fragile and will scratch and flake easily. I have colored the wheels on several vehicles with success using DupliColor's special wheel coating. It is as easy to apply as paint but has glass beads in it that makes it WAY stronger than paint and gives it a nice matt finish. I used the anthracite grey but also available in black and white.

I will try to attch a pick of my wrangler wheels. i have never attached a pic in a thread window so sorry if it doesn't go through.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.