The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

How would one clean ventilation system?

3K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Buz 
#1 ·
As I had a mouse issue over the winter, I'm left with some residual "hamster smell" in my cabin when I run the fan. My service department was able to clear out most of the mess, but I essentially want to clean out the entire system as best I can. How would I even begin to access the ductwork behind the vent covers?

Thanks,

Karl

#5 ·
Thanks all. I think I have about three options: 1) use a spray; 2) take everything apart and wash the ducts; 3) [somewhere in between] run a damp spongy thing down the ducts, like one of those things used to wash pint glasses. The most thorough way would be 2, but I don't know how to disassemble the ductwork.

#6 ·
I had a similar problem several years ago. One of my daughters' hamsters got loose in the car and crawled into the air duct. Of course, we didn't know this and when we turned the fan on..... -eek- Ended up taking it to the dealer to take everything apart and clean it out. Even then, the smell was still there.... summer was the worst.

As we get older, we get so much wiser. If a small furry rodent caused this problem, why not let a small furry rodent fix it and avoid having to take apart the ductwork? Get small hamster or gerbil, soak it down with febreez or one of those other sprays mentioned above, put said rodent in a harness with a leash and let it run through the air ducts. Then just pull it out.. spray it again and repeat process until clean! :clap:

Oh, and don't turn the fan on.

Disclaimer: The above resolution is for entertainment purposes only and this poster does not endorse nor support using hamsters as bottle brushes.

#7 ·
CJC said:
Karl,

Don't want to hijack your thread, but I've got a "musty smell" from the heater which might be bacteria from moisture in the AC condenser. If you learn how to get into that section of the vent system, I'd like to know.
Thanks, Chris
About 5-10 minutes before you get to your destination, turn off the A/C but run the fan on high to dry the evaporator (?). This habit will dry it and prevent that smell.

Without having looked at the Elise shop manual, i.e. in general:

To fix, spray disinfectant into air intake areas while running the a/c.

If that doesn't work, some drill holes into the venting system for spray access. Plug with RTV or similar.

An aside: Run your a/c a minute or so per week even in cold weather, to circulate the lubricant in the system and keep the seals fresh.

#9 ·
We had a skunk get trapped in the wall of our house. It sprayed everywhere and then died. Smells be gone and Ozium seemed to work the best but it still lingered for a couple of months. I would think spraying Lysol disenfectant into the Elise front air intake with the fan on high would kill bacteria and sanitize the system. I have sprayed Lysol into my home air return to get rid of musty smells.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.