The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

2nd Track Day Grandsport Speedway

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  jefrac 
#1 ·
Hi, looking for any input on my driving. I have done two track days at Grandsport and they do not offer instructors. I followed a pace car my first 12-15 laps on the track and ever since have been on my own. I am planing on signing up for real instruction in Sept. with The Drivers Edge @ MSR Houston but I am going back to Grandsport on July 19th. I would love for someone experienced to give me some advice. I am still learning to heel toe and I know I missed some apexes (the last turn was awful). I think I am going too fast in sharp turns and too slow in others.

Also, will changing just my front tires cause more snap over-steer? The fronts came with the car (fronts are 5 years old) and like an idiot I thought if it has tread it's good.:facepalm I know now that A048's heat cycle out. My rears have about 10 heat cycles and the fronts unknown. Should I just wait and change both just before my Sept. track day?

Thanks,

John

#2 ·
Hey John,

This is Jeff I was out there in the broken red lotus. Anyway the main thing I would work on is your hand movement. There are a lot of times where you are in a transition phase with only one hand on the wheel, while you may be in control you are loosing a lot of feedback. There are a few turns out there where you do need to shuffle as grandsport is almost like a faster auto x course than other tracks around.
Winding Road | Three Common Methods of Steering Wheel Control ? But Which Makes You Faster?
You have definitely been getting faster and in more control over the last few times I have seen you out there. I do think grandsport does itself a disservice by not allowing any instructors in cars during groove union days.

#3 ·
Hey Jeff,

Thanks for the input I will work on hand movement on the 19th. I would have never thought of hand movement which is why I feel like I would benefit from one on one instruction. Do you have any videos? It's impressive watching you drive from the sideline but it would be great to see from your point of view. Did you get your car fixed? Planning on going on the 19th?

#4 ·
Sadly no I can't get the damn transmission back in for some reason. I have been struggling with it for 2 days now about to light the damn thing on fire.

#6 ·
If you are free Sunday I could definitely use a extra pair of hands. I will pm you my contact info.

#7 ·
Like Jeff the first thing I noticed is how much your hands are moving around the steering wheel. As Ross said in his Winding Road article, keep them in the 9-3 position as much as possible. "Quiet Hands" are best.

Good luck, its nice to see that you are using the car for what it was intended. Have fun.

#9 ·
Nice videos. Looks like your are progressing well for your first couple of track days.

You cannot go wrong with The Drivers Edge. I know most of the instructors there and they have a very good group. You will find MSRH a lot more fun than GS. Also, I highly recommend that you try to get into the event at TWS in Sept. It could be your last chance (before it closes) and that track is more fun than MSRH. If possible, plan a trip up to Cresson for MSRC. The 3.1 configuration is the best in Texas. Honestly, it is tough to choose between COTA and MSRC 3.1 but Cresson is less than 1/3rd the cost.

#10 ·
Thanks. I'm learning. Although I had my first spin out that same day. Thanks for the advice. My only concern with traveling so far for a track day is I don't have a trailer yet. That's a long tow for me. I'm on the waiting list for the Drivers Edge. They filled up in like 2 hours. They must be doing something right. MSR Houston offers instruction but it's $500 for a half day and $750 for two half days.

#11 ·
I know what you mean. I drove my Elise down to TWS from the north side of Dallas a couple of times before I got a trailer. It was an adventure. If you are on the north side of Houston, then Cresson is not too bad. Anyway, you will like MSRH. When you do an event with TDE, it is good to ask for rides in the red group or with instructors, it's a great way to learn. I enjoy giving rides, especially to other Lotus guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.