The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Autocross/track day numbers

5K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  RideMooch 
#1 ·
Looking for recommendations for where to buy track day numbers (I hate having to use tape; my efforts always look like the work of a five year old, though that might be an insult to five year olds!).

I have magnetic numbers from when I used to track my 911, but I am assuming that won't work with a fiberglass Elise.

#6 ·
How long lasting are the Chuforia reusable numbers? I'll take them off to drive home after each track day. Also are they hard to apply?

I assume not being able to use them in the rain won't be a problem in So Cal!

#7 ·
As long as you keep the surfaces on the car AND the number clean and don't get any wrinkles, you can probably use it 4-ish times.
I've done it 3 times, and by that time it's gotten so many wrinkles that I just gave up. It's partially my fault for just leaving out wherever after peeling it off, though. Putting the back on the backings they came from, and putting them in a large brown envelope type thingies is probably the best storage method. I got lazy once and put the numbers on when the car wasn't clean, and the numbers started to disappear after a few sessions. That was a bit embarrassing. :eek:

They're VERY easy to apply once you get a hang of it. The car has a bit of a curvature, but as long as you take your time and be gentle with it, you'll be fine. Try not to use too much force and stretch the material when removing the bubbles. It's better to reposition and reapply than to squeeze the bubbles out. I usually just use microfiber towels to spread out the force and keep the bubbles out. Lint from the towels can get caught on small details so you should watch out for that. And don't put too much pressure and scrape the edges as it'll cause ripples on the edges, which will make it easy to get caught in the wind and start separating. Cleaning the numbers for times where you need to use it just one last time also helps quite a bit.

Lastly, I'd highly recommend the Track Day Rocker Guards as those area gets beat up quite a bit. It might not be as strong as the typical paint protection films, but they at least keep small chips and tire scums off the area at very affordable price point.

#8 ·
Honestly. Choose 1 number and get a dozen of the adhesive ones made. The static is a pain and they are not worth a **** after being used once.

+1 one the rocker guards.

#10 ·
Digging up the thread for a specific question: The track day I have at the end of hte month specifically says 8" numbers required. I wanted to get a panel (circle or oval) with my three digit number, but looking at soloperformance's measurements those panels are too big for the door of the Elise! What have others used for 3-digits in 8" height? Thanks

#11 ·
I print my own on a color laser printer. The sheets are 8 1/2 by 11 white. I create a new set each year and use them all season (8-10 events). They are easy to apply, clean the car surface and put fluid on the back of the number (I use Windex), put on the car and squeeze out the air bubbles. This works for autocross speeds. When I go on track, I also tape the perimeter to be sure they stay on. As previously mentioned you need to take care or them. I put them on the backing sheet they came on and store them in a stiff presentation folder.

In my picture, the numbers are about 8 inches high and the class is the bottom section.

I get these sheets here: White Static Cling Media for Color Laser

Attachments

#12 ·
Just ordered a neat custom set of reusable vinyl panels from SpinnyWhoosh.com. I'll let everyone know how they workout once they come in!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.