The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Camber mismatch ?

5K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  breeze91 
#1 ·
Im going to the track .

Front right is -1.7 and front left is -2.1

Should I get the alignment redone Or is this close enough ?

#3 ·
Since the majority of turns on tracks are right turns in general the left front having more camber will only help you. Though you should have matching camber from left to right I doubt you would be able to tell the difference or will be pushing the car to the point that it would matter. Have a great time at the track!

#9 ·
that's a few different opinions but thank you every one.
the track is relatively short at 1.2 miles and goes counterclockwise , 9 turns.
Ive added shaved steering arms, and Penske DA's. I had given the specs to the alignment shop and this is what's on the written report.
I've been on course a couple of times and done a Race Driver's course so Im still relatively new to this.
The car is turbo charged
It will likely be a wet track on Friday when Im on the track.

Im thinking I should get it back to the shop and get the correction done today to get it balanced right even if it means adding back a shim. I was originally aiming for front camber of - 2.2 on both sides, ( and rear -2.7 which is acutally now ( -2.5 and -2.6 ). I think the guy said this was the best he could get ( for some reason )

#14 ·
Most road race tracks run clockwise, NASCAR runs counter clockwise. Depending on the design of the track you can have close to an equal number of lefts and rights or mostly rights (i.e. Lime Rock Park).

#15 · (Edited)
Interesting, I wonder if there is a comprehensive list somewhere - it would be cool to look at. As far as the "number" of lefts and rights, I guess what would actually matter is total turning as measured by degrees (and of course type of turn, location of turn, and all the other race craft involved...not trying to be too detailed here)

#16 ·
By definition a CCW track needs 360 degrees more lefts than rights and CW tracks need 360 degrees of right turns over lefts.

So to adding X degrees of right handers to a CCW track would require adding the same degrees of left and the entire track would have X degrees of rights and X+360 degrees of lefts.

/nerd

Kiyoshi

#17 ·
You should get it adjusted eventually but for one event you will be fine.
There is no safety issue there, at worst you will be a little slower. It's possible that you could notice the car handles right turns better than left, but I'm not sure you will even be able to tell.

#20 · (Edited)
Not going to matter much. You could probably correct or at least get closer to even by removing a camber shim on the side with -1.7. Not hard to do

I don't know how desirable or intentional more camber in the rear than front is.

You could probably take all the shims out everywhere except as needed to keep it even side to side and get close or to where you would ultimately want to be if you are going for maximum racecar.

Depends on a lot of factors. Ymmv

#21 ·
This is an interesting thread!

All replies have some validity. It comes down to one thing. Its your car, how anal you want to get is your call. Your level of driving experience will dictate a lot of it. Year 3-4 on the track or heavy AX. You will start to pick up on small changes. My first year at the track I could add 9 clicks to one shock and not notice it I was so overwhelmed. Suspension tuning is a gradual process. The biggest advice I can offer is take notes on what you did, how it helped you and only do one thing at a time. Play with it.

Reactions: acslater
#22 ·
Thank you. I'm scribbling down a few notes ... only a few because I basically ended up calling it quits early.
Ive had the car for ten years with no significant problem. The evening before my track day, engine light turned on and it went into limp mode repeatedly ... I thought is fixed itself when I started it up in the morning and went ot the track. No such luck. I'll start another thread elsewhere to help define/resolve this issue

#25 ·
Thank you. I'm scribbling down a few notes ... only a few because I basically ended up calling it quits early.

Ive had the car for ten years with no significant problem. The evening before my track day, engine light turned on and it went into limp mode repeatedly ... I thought is fixed itself when I started it up in the morning and went ot the track. No such luck. I'll start another thread elsewhere to help define/resolve this issue

Did you wash it that day? Water ponding in the spark plug wells can do that. Never wash it on a slope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.