The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Could Save Yr AS$? Moss Emergency Line

21K views 52 replies 34 participants last post by  glb 
#1 ·
Having had no luck googling this potentially life-saving maneuver, I am going to try to explain it myself. I’ve done this before, with varying success. And, as you’ll see, I am terrible at diagrams on the computer. (Anyone who can find/present a better demo is welcome to.)

As we all know, in many cars and especially those with mid-engines, we don’t want to lift or brake in a fast turn.

But, if we go in too fast, we miss the apex, someone blocks us, or some other emergency arises, what can we do?

Well, we can use the (Stirling) MOSS EMERGENCY LINE. SM says to drive straight as far as you can, while braking as heavily as possible. You will lose enough speed to get the car under control before you have to turn (usually at the far side of the road). Remember, cars brake very quickly, more efficiently than they accelerate.

I’ve used this many times on track and street and I can tell you that it works.

Red (if it shows up) is the braking zone.

Many on ET really know how to drive (better than I) and comments & suggestions are welcome.

But, I hope this helps you as much as it’s helped me.

Attachments

See less See more
#41 ·
what??

#43 ·
uh, unless you've trail braked before, trying it when you overcook a corner is a good way to be looking in the opposite direction you're going.

#45 ·
This thread gets better every time I read it... particularly like the moss qoutes about going in fast and coming out dead :).

As far as both feet in in our cars, I think we do ok. From what I can tell lotus installed the crappiest cheapest ABS they could find. This has pluses and minuses. I've spun many times in autox, and both feet in at a spin over 50mph (or 40mph in the rain) generally winds up with the car settling into a rear-first backwards slide in whatever direction your momentum happens to point. The motion seems relatively straight after the first 50 to 70 feet or so. At least that's my experience at autocross speeds (under 70mph). For track use that's probably predictable enough...?

The bad news is that when the ABS does kick in due to bumpy surfaces (especially a bumpy stop on a downhill... such as concord street & rt 16 in Wellesly center!), it's so inefficient that it will probably add 25-30% to your stopping distance... hence the nick name "ice mode"

I've had occasional issues with ice mode in competition and I've toyed with the idea of disabling my abs when racing, but haven't yet tried it.

As for the SM emergency line. Do some autocross. You'll learn to break in a straight line in autocross... just after you try to trail break (or even just lift) to slow down in a turn and then and learn about putting both feet in :).

#47 ·
This thread gets better every time I read it... particularly like the moss qoutes about going in fast and coming out dead :).

As far as both feet in in our cars, I think we do ok. From what I can tell lotus installed the crappiest cheapest ABS they could find. This has pluses and minuses. I've spun many times in autox, and both feet in at a spin over 50mph (or 40mph in the rain) generally winds up with the car settling into a rear-first backwards slide in whatever direction your momentum happens to point. The motion seems relatively straight after the first 50 to 70 feet or so. At least that's my experience at autocross speeds (under 70mph). For track use that's probably predictable enough...?

The bad news is that when the ABS does kick in due to bumpy surfaces (especially a bumpy stop on a downhill... such as concord street & rt 16 in Wellesly center!), it's so inefficient that it will probably add 25-30% to your stopping distance... hence the nick name "ice mode"

I've had occasional issues with ice mode in competition and I've toyed with the idea of disabling my abs when racing, but haven't yet tried it.

As for the SM emergency line. Do some autocross. You'll learn to break in a straight line in autocross... just after you try to trail break (or even just lift) to slow down in a turn and then and learn about putting both feet in :).
Interesting comment... when the Elise was fitted with ABS there was much discussion about it diluting the purity of the previous, unassisted, brakes. The technical reports and the journalist reviews were extremely complimentary of the system when it was finally tested.

#48 ·
I think you must be right.

#49 ·
Without ABS, the car would have been less attractive for me.

#50 ·
I thought it was time to explain this to newer members.

Also:

We've seen crashes because of ppl using the wrong tire for a situation.

Too cold, too much standing water, etc.

Please know your tires and where they do not, were not designed to, perform.

Be safe, all.

#51 ·
That's what turn 1 at LRP is about (with the trail braking added) every time you do it right!! Release brake and get ready for 2

#52 ·
Big Bend?

How do you drive that? I had many miles @ LRP, but don't remember and am unsure if I ever got that right.

#53 ·
Bumpity

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.