The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Down the rabbit hole..

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  LionZoo 
#1 ·
I have a set of time goals that I told myself if I hit each time goal, I would semi-retire the Elise from that track as I don't want to throw the car away chasing times. The goal for Buttonwillow was 2:05, a fairly conservative goal that shouldn't be challenging even though I plan to always run 140+ treadwear street tires (195 and 225 Z2 Star Specs currently).

Well this weekend:

I ran a 2:05.040 among other 2:05 laps. Am I going to semi-retire the Elise from Buttonwillow?

In a word, no. I still left a lot on the table. I have more speed through Riverside. I have a lot more track to use on the entry into Phil Hill / Lost Hill and I can brake a lot later there. I had trouble getting Sweeper right all day as it was really windy and I kept being blown off line at exit (and through Riverside as well).

The new goal is to run a 2:02. I think I can do it since my tires this time was really old and at the end of its life. And then? Maybe I'll semi-retire the Elise from Buttonwillow. Or maybe I'll shoot for sub 2s...

It never ends. Someone put me out of my misery.

See less See more
1 1
#4 ·
I'm not sure I understand the logic either. Perhaps the issue is that by chasing lap times you're worried you'll wreck the car? If yes, I totally get that! At some point, you'll be at the complete limit of 140 treadwear tires and hunting for more tenths you'll end up in a tire wall.

#5 ·
Yes that's totally correct. The harder I push, the closer to the limit I'll get, and the more likely the possibility of a wreck. I could, of course, switch to stickier tires, but my mind would compensate for the tires and just set a faster time goal. It just never ends. I want to be able to run times that would qualify midpack for LotusCup while on street tires.

I'm at least lucky in that my driving style is very smooth and not ragged. (Knock on wood.) That might help, but I don't know if I push even harder...

#6 ·
When you are chasing a time you are pushing, pushing always takes you close to one limit or another.

Not that this applies to you; it kills me when a novice claims they are driving at some percentage (e.g., I'm driving at 90%). If you a good enough to know that you are driving at XX% you already know where 100% is your not a novice. If you are a novice and driving at 90% you are living on luck.

Anyway track days are to have fun and learn at a pace that is comfortable for you. Enjoy.

#7 ·
I have a good idea of what the car is capable of (and also a good idea of where on the track I'm leaving time on the table).

As it is, I'm very close to the back end of the grid of Lotus Cup: http://static1.squarespace.com/stat...61204560946/LCUSA_RD2_Results_2016+Sheet1.pdf

Those guys have Yokohama slicks while I'm on 140 TW street tires, but of course I also have mods that would be illegal in Lotus Cup. My ultimate goal is to hit times that would put me at the front of the Production Class of Lotus Cup, which I think is a second or two away from the limit of what the car is capable of. I promised myself I wouldn't get caught up in chasing times, but I'm failing miserably. It's like knowing you have a problem, but being unable to do anything about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.