The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

elise at lime rock

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  boxerman 
#1 · (Edited)
i took my stock 06 elise to lime rock and wonder how others do it. i was driving mod pace and used 4th gear all around except for 5th for a part of main straight. i was too slow at 1.08 times compared to 1.04 in 997 gt3 and 1.00in gtr (all stock).

figure i could have shifted to 3rd in middle of big bend then up to 4th on no name and 3rd for the up hill. that would get rpm's up to get the variocam (or whatever its called) but dont think that would be worth more than 1-2 sec/lap.

i only braked hard for big bend with light brake touch at left turn, up hill, right hander and a lift on the down hill.

any advice for next time? thanks

#3 ·
I'm at Lime Rock quite a bit. I usually run 1.04-1.05's with a pretty much stock Exige and R888's. 1.08's aren't too bad in my opinion. I go down to third for big bend, keep it there till no name where I go to fourth, and then fifth on Posey straight. Your braking sounds about right. Was it your first time there?

#5 ·
Yes it's a 2007 so it is supercharged. I haven't improved much on my times in the last year or so. I really want to upgrade the track pack shocks to something better. I'm sure that will help lower lap times! After watching a lot of my video footage, my best lap times seem to occur when I really do the left hander properly. Seems to set up the rest of the lap just right!

#6 ·
Left hander is key to get momentum for no name straight. I have to line it up much better too. Need to stay all the way left after apex to have full width track avail to enter no name. Wonder if its possible to make that turn under power without lifting? Could add 10 mph more at up hill braking zone

#7 ·
Yeah, without a doubt. One of the instructors I had at Skip Barber school was trying to show us a different line than the conventional one for the left hander. If you look really close there is a paving seam that you try to follow. According to him you try to carry more speed in, follow the seam and then lift to rotate the car and it is supposed to line you up better for no name. I still haven't mastered it but when it's done just right you can tell of course. Definitely good for at least 5 mph to carry to the uphill. Of course keeping the speed through the uphill is a whole other story. That wall is awfully close��

#10 · (Edited)
Ian Prout ran 62's at LRP in 2005 with a bone stock Lotus Elise with sport pack. FYI. I've done many 63's with my NA car but very well sorted suspension and Hoosiers. If you do it right in 3rd you'll be cresting the uphill on cam at ~??7800 rpms (been 4 years since Elise days). Downhill requires total commitment and car will be crabbing!I know 1 guy that has made it to sub 1 minute zone in a heavily modded Exige Sc and Yoko A005 slicks. Not an easy feat and I certainly won't go to that level of commit!!
They don't call it the bullring for nothing. Any car getting into the 62 or less zone is hauling and no, HP alone can't give you lap times at LRP. ALL the corners require total commitment. I love that track because it forces you to NEVER lose focus!!

Street rubber and 68's is solid. 65's on R888's or A048's is solid. 63's on Hoosiers is solid. 62's or less on race rubber is intense. Doing it repeatedly---> priceless.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.