The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

First Spin Out @ Grandsport

4K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Ridgeway 
#1 ·
I took turn 1 a little too fast causing the tires to squeal. I lifted and the back end came lose :facepalm. I over corrected and spun the other direction. Sound about right?

#3 ·
Yep, sounds about right. Just because the tire is squeeling doesn't mean you have entered too fast. If you are getting understeer that is causing speed to scrub off or you to push wide of your line, then a slight lift can help tuck the nose. Seemed like you were fine and had no reason to lift.

You should also try to remember to push the clutch in to protect the engine once the spin becomes unrecoverable ("both feet in").

#5 ·
No I had no reason to lift. I am still learning to slow down and drive smooth. Too tempting to push harder and harder. I need some instruction. They do not allow instructors at this track. To this day I have never had someone ride with me and give advice. My next track day will be with an instructor.

Thanks for the advice. Never thought to hit the clutch in the spin, hopefully I won't need to in the future.

#6 ·
Yes you have nailed the classic way to come round. As said, clutch in, and pat the gas to keep her running. That deff scores points.

Wet skidpad time is so helpful. Learning how it feels when about to step out, and how little correction it takes.

Street driving teaches us to lift when we are too fast. At lower speed it works just fine. But in a mid engine approaching a limit.....

#7 ·
#8 ·
I like GS, but the groove union days are more informal lapping days than instructional DE events. The upside is cheep and you can just show up last min, the downside is minimal frills or instructors.

Maybe I'll see you out there, it has been a while for me.

#9 ·
On a kink like that you were not even using all of the track. Would have been better to keep your foot in the throttle or apply more throttle.

On a side note, what video setup are you using? I assume you have a separate microphone mounted on the rear?

#10 ·
Gonna skip GS next month because I will be out of the country but in Sept. I want to hit msrh and GS. The more track time the better. I'd love to see more Lotus guys out there.

Thanks for the advice guys I appreciate any input.

I have a gopro mounted to the tow hook and a mic in my trunk. Not sure the exact model but I can look it up if your interested.

#14 ·
Also a side note, once you do go off, try and keep the car moving. In the Texas heat and dry grass, it's easy for a grass fire to start. Not so much with the Lotus since we have a full undertray, but still possible from the exhaust.

And if you get in Driver's Edge in Sept, I'm signed up to be there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.