The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Help with my 240Cup

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  acslater 
#1 · (Edited)
Folks,

Am new to the forum but not to tracking/racing. A bit about my background, been tracking/Club Racing BMW's since 1999. Over the years was privileged enough to be one of the professional instructor at Yas Marina Circuit in Abu Dhabi where was able to drive/instruct/lap rides in some pretty fun car (took a hiatus and did it full time for a year).

At any rate, fast forward a few years, I got myself an E90 M3 DCT which I enjoy driving/tracking but its a street car. Am active on M3Post.

My other car is a 997S which I adore as well. However, I am NOT going to cage either of the cars and want a track only car for NASA TT (active in the NE) and HPDE's.

I purchased an 06 240 Cup locally where the previous owner had some bearing issues with the stock supercharger. Car has low miles and the failed bearing is beyond me. But at any rate, I DONT want to upgrade anything which is not stock and am looking to purchase:

1) MP62 supercharger. Called up Magnuson and they will not sell me the supercharger. Dealer wants a fortune. I have read here (did a search) that they can be purchased through Magnuson (the person in question no longer works there). What are my options?

2) I am 210lbs and want to get the car aligned/corner balanced with me in there. What's the standard alignment for these cup cars? Height/rake? FYI will be running Hoosiers.

3) Did a search and found some brackets/solution for tall drivers. I was able to fit and drive an Exige in Dubai (had special brackets or perchance seats mounted to the floor at that point I didnt inquire but knowing I can fit, want to make this happen; barely made it with a helmet but it worked!). What are you taller(ish) driver's doing to fit. I know someone will ask how tall I am (6'4" there I said it).

4) Maint/Fluids. Whats the general consensus here for fluids? I intend to run Castrol SRF for brake fluid, but what are folks running for Transmission/Diff? In the past I have had great no issues with any of my previous cars running Redline.

I have access to a race shop (OffCamber Motorsports) in Dover NJ who will be doing the work. They have worked with Exige S but do not have alignment specs for a Cup car.

Thank you in advance.

Look forward to being part of the community.

Regards,

Lutfy

See less See more
#3 ·
1) Gotta check the S/C oil every now and then. They're supposed to be changed every 80,000 miles or so on 'normal' cars, but because our cars rev so high and tends to be used at racetracks where it spends all its life at high RPMs, the maintenance schedule is significantly shorter. They are cheap insurance (which your previous owner failed to take account of...), so do it as a part of routine maintenance(oil change, etc)
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/changed-supercharger-oil-wow-244169/

Also, you might have some luck looking for a used one since people here sometimes like to upgrade to more hardcore supercharger setup. Or maybe some S/C setup vendors might have some lying around after their client upgraded.

2) I think the unifying theme is max camber all around by taking all the shims out, maybe even the ABS bracket that works as a shim, and replace the knuckle which gives you even more camber(and correct for bump steer). Rest of the settings are a matter of preference, I think.

3) I think tall drivers tend to use this TALLrails are Seat Rails for the Lotus Elise and Exige - Sector111

#5 ·
Thanks folks! it appears that the Seat rail is for stock seats. I have the race seats in there with brackets. Speed shop is going to see if they can drill another hole to get the seat all the way back and lift the front (where your thighs are) a bit to compensate. Last option would be to mount it to the floor. I am going to call Sector 111 to speak to them as well.

Regarding supercharger, I spoke with Magnuson and they said will they wont sell me a new supercharger, they can repair mine. In event its not repairable, they will only then issue a new one but I need to send the core back. This is a relief. I spoke with David Gonzales there if that helps anyone else. I have the supercharger off the car so it will be shipped today.

Pertaining to the suspension, mine has the Ohlins D/A with remote reservoir. Based on that what would be the max camber front and rear that you'd recommend? How much toe in at the back (or toe out in the front), any idea on rake (height front and back) before we get it corner balanced? Lastly any baseline on what to set the shocks at? Sorry I am asking too much here...

If you purchased an 06 (Federal) it isn't a 240 Cup. The 06 Federal was N/A, not supercharged. I don't think the 240 Cup was available until the 2008 model year.

San
Hi San, I am not a Lotus guy but my car is an 06 comes with a cage and supercharger, the 255 Cups had the longer hood scoop (07+) and mine is the smaller one. So I have been told. Maybe someone else can chime in? This is what is stated on the paperwork (06, 240 Cup not street legal).

Thank you again all for your help.

Regards,

Lutfy

#8 · (Edited)
So I had a chance to visit OffCamber Motorsport this past weekend.

Some recent pics (car was under a cover for ages... will be going to body shop for super detailing).

Ordered new supercharger OEM from MonkeyWrench Racing. $1800ish vs $5K quoted by the dealer. New 3.2 pulley, plugs, all filters, belt, fluids, Moroso oil pan (to hold 6 liters of oil), BOE toe links, TRD 170 degree thermostat, Water wetter to go with it (no coolant), Castrol SRF fluid, Accusump, motorsport tow hooks (front one currently there is horrid) everything should arrive this week and to be installed. Goal is to get the car aligned/corner weighted in 2 weeks followed by a visit to the bodyshop to get the tid bits sorted. Cant wait!! VERY tight fit but doable. If on the track with g forces my leg cramps the steering wheel, then its a diff story.

Good news: Previous owner is getting me the title which is very good. Problem is how will it pass inspection ;)

#10 ·
One item that may gain an extra couple inches headroom is swapping the standard roof for a carbon fiber one. Obviously get less weight as added bonus. I happen to have one for sale; fitting the Exige. Red on top and the carbon fiber look on inside. As I am new on this forum I do not know if sharing emails is cool or not. My Lotus Forum ID is: KimiRaikkonen.

#11 ·
Great to see another Cup 240 on here, mine was starting to get lonely!
Yes they made them. There are precious few around. They came at a premium though, with the cage as an option on top of the Track Pack. I have all the factory documents and instructions including SC fitting etc if you like?
I'll PM you the Track Suspension setup manual from the factory. A good help is to fit camber correction front steering arms that reduce (improve) bump steer.
I'm 6'2 and about 240 and I fit, but getting in and out is less than graceful...
I'm curious how your LHD cage looks as my RHD cage has the overhead bar from front right (A Pillar) to rear left, (B Pillar) allowing me space above my head for my helmet. Passengers in my car don't enjoy it! If its the same in yours, I'd suggest pulling the cage and reversing that bar!

Attachments

#12 ·
Also thought I'd add that I run Motul 5W40 and 75W90 with Castrol SRF. I also have the BOE 2 piece floating rotors, braided lines and Carbotech pads.
Also, a great addition is the Sector 111 or BOE motor mounts and the SSC shifter cables.
Make sure you get the factory recall upgraded oil lines and connectors. Your car will be a part of that recall and 2 of my connections were weeping at the join by the time I replaced them. I used the RLS full line replacement kit but now the recall is out, you can get them from the factory or dealer. Does your car have the Accusump fitted?
Keen to see some more interior pics of your car as your cage looks a bit different again, but that may be to suit US regs (Aus can't register with side bars as our doors must have them in it!)

#13 ·
Carbuff yes thats my car :) We have everything, got the new brake pads, SRF fluid, diff fluid, oil pan etc in place with the exception of the supercharger which is this week.

KryptonCup, yes I have the Accusump fitted in the car. I noticed the side bar missing in yours. On mine, its on the side per the pic and it makes it almost a royal pain (for me). Even my seats are different (anything above and beyond a 3 point is not street legal in the US) with harnesses. And no headlights either. Your car is stunning!! Thank you for the emails, really appreciate it!

Cannot wait to get it back! Likely first week Aug as I will be out of town.
Will def share more pics once I get to the shop. She is going to get a complete detailing soon.

Cheers,

Lutfy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.