The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Hooked on Driving or SCCA Starting Line

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  EddieA 
#1 ·
I'm looking to learn more about the handling of my Exige and both these organisations have something coming up in the next couple of months that I can get to.

I know that the focus between the two is slightly different, but looking for other folks thoughts on which could be the better one to attend.

Cheers.

#2 ·
I've done autocross, then took EVO autocross school, then moved on to track days with Hooked on Driving.

Looking back, it wasn't a bad decision.
I got to learn to push the car and explore its true limits at autocross while not wrecking the car.
Then I got to learn to drive smoothly up to the limits at the AutoX school.

In hindsight, being smooth with your inputs and learning how to react when you do go over the limit helped me to prep for track days, but YMMV.

Good luck, be safe, and have fun out there!

#3 ·
I followed a similar path. Do a few autox events first- they are a cheaper and lower risk place to learn. If you're still interested after that, take the next step and do some track days.

#4 ·
I have 12 track days under my belt, but never started with autocross... Now I feel like I cant do autocross.

but... my friend/prior boss has been doing track days for 12 years and was the one who helped me trailer my elise when I bought it so I got into the track day experience pretty quick

#6 ·
I have not done the SCCA thing, but have been to a HOD event and felt that it was a well run and quality event.

If you plan to do some wheel-to-wheel racing some day, then it might be better to do the SCCA one as I'm sure it counts towards your race licensing. Otherwise HOD is a good bet IMO.

#7 ·
Ended up doing the SCCA Starting Line school in San Diego last weekend. Had an absolute blast.

Here's a link to my final run of the day around the "baby" course they set up. Of the 2 laps the instructor did in my car, I managed to just beat the slower of them and got to about 0.7 seconds off his quicker one.

Cheers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.