The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Hoosier Circuit Racing Tires - Slicks vs DOT

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  fivendime 
#1 ·
My question is for a turbo Elise track car (~365hp at the wheels, 1500 pounds).

As I understand it, Hoosier offers DOT tires (A7 and R7 compounds) as well as non-DOT full slicks (in S75, S80, and S100 compounds).

I've read up on the differences between A7 and R7 in the DOT offerings, but does anyone have experience or insight into how they would compare to the non-DOT full slicks (S75/80/100) from an expected # of heat cycles, overall grip, how well the grip holds up through the life of the tire before they heatcycle or wear out?

Trying to be smart about $ spent on tires. The Elise will be driven only on track, typically 4 or 5 30-min sessions per track day. I'm not racing, so I'm less concerned about utmost maximum grip, but rather good overall grip for the most number of heat cycles/longest tire life.

Any insight welcomed!

#2 ·
At a minimum I suggest you shy away from full slicks. And maybe, consider selecting a street-ish performance tire.

Generally, focused race rubber is not very forgiving at the limit of grip and they have shorter life spans (age and heat cycles).

That being said, as much as I plan on running aggressive street tires at the track I am not up on what the hot/popular options are now for Eliges.

#3 · (Edited)
The A7's are not a great choice for track days. Specifically designed for autoX, they are designed to reach operating temp quickly and for short periods of time. From personal experience, at a track day they are good for a lap or maybe two, then go off quickly. I found on the A7's, we are getting about 25-35 heat cycles, before ultimate grip starts to be compromised (in autox). Not that they stopped working or were worn out, they just didn't stick as well as when they were new. R7's are a better choice for the track days, although not sure about how they handle multiple cycles, as I have only run them a few time myself and haven't completed a full season yet (although, given the "R" designation, I suspect they are ok). They feel much better at a track day, and unless it's brutally hot (like Africa hot), they maintain their grip through the 30-45 minute sessions.
Haven't run Hoosier slicks, but I know with my Goodyear's and Michelins, 4-5 heat cycles and they were done. And noticeably done.....similar to hockey pucks or plywood or studded winter tires skittling across the pavement.

On a personal note, if you aren't looking for ultimate grip, I'd definitely look at the R888, the RE-71R or the Starspec. Excellent grip and the added bonus of having decent grip in the rain.

*Edited for atrocious grammar)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.