The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Most dangerous track day driving ever?

3K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  mannix 
#1 ·
Jalopnik just posted about this scary video of a rookie Corvette driver who seems to think he knows how to drive...

Worst Trackday Video Ever? Z06 Driver Risks Life To Beat A Porsche

He is getting severely criticized on the Corvette forums and on YouTube (where he posted the video to brag about his prowess behind the wheel).

Does anyone know which group he was running with? Be good to avoid them.

#3 · (Edited)
I've driven the ROVAL at Cal Speedway many times; both of those drivers were frequently way off the racing line and out of control.

I would have stayed far out of their way...

EDIT: ...and FWIW, the course was "coned" badly too, especially the last series of lefthanders leading back on to the front straight.

#4 ·
Mad skillz! Plus, he and the instructor looked cool in their moped helmets. What could go wrong? I mean, he had his instructor hold his wallet, or cell phone, whatever... just in case, you know if something bad happened it would not be on him. That, right there is some pretty awesome track awareness. He should probably be a pro driver anyway. Just put him in the fastest run group because he drives flat out.
-not being serious above, but I do love those C7 Z06's, seriously.

#5 · (Edited)
A couple of thoughts:

The driver is a complete dink.

The instructor should have put a higher value on his own life.

The instructor should have had him pit in, very early in that session and review safety and track etiquette.

The guy clearly had tunnel vision and thought he was racing for a $50 million dollar purse.

^This was a HPDE, not a race, correct?

Way out of control. What would have happened without ESC, TC, 5 foot wide tires, etc.......?

I believe I saw 1 point by. What organization was this?

He keeps looking in his rear view mirror at the Porsche while he's in the braking zone?

He literally runs the GTR off the track and laughs like an ass hat.

I agree with Andy, stay far away or pit in and bring it to the organizers attention.

Worst part is, he thinks he's the next Boris Said. ?

BTW,
Kudos to the SLS owner for taking that car out on the track!

#8 ·
I want to believe it was all staged.

Guy 1: "I have a great idea!"
Guy2: "Oh yeah?"
Guy 1: "Yeah! I will drive around the track like an idiot while you stay silent and wave your hand around."
Guy 2: "Brilliant! We should wear moped helmets to make it even funnier!"
Guy 1: "And then post a video to the internet!"

*high fives*

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.