The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Post your Lap Times!

17K views 41 replies 25 participants last post by  Jack 
#1 · (Edited)
If there is a thread like this, I couldn't find it.

Just thought it would be nice for everyone to post up their lap times at whatever tracks you normally run. Not trying to start any competition, but it would be nice to have some comparison points for similar cars.

Please post some details about your car setup with times if you have lots of mods.

Mine:
Gingerman (MI): Best 1:45.8, typical ~1:46.3

Grattan (MI): Best 1:30.0, typical ~1:30.7

PittRace/Beaverun (PA): Best 1:07.5, typical ~1:08.0

My mods include:
Nitrons, s111 2 piece rotors, EBC yellows, SSR wheels w/Hoosier R6s 205F/225R, baffled oil pan, rear control arm brace. Times taken with RaceChrono software on my Android phone w/10Hz GPS.

Reactions: SS Lotus Elise
#2 ·
I must note that all best times were done in first or second session of day and at lower temps...75 degrees and under. For my format, they are also typically on 3rd or 4th hot lap as it takes the hoosier A6's at least two full hot laps to get to temp but also right before heat soak sets in.

Grattan - Best: 1:25.7, Typical: 1:27

Mid Ohio
Pro Course - Best: 1:35.6, Typical: 1:37
Club Course - Best: 1:37.4, Typical: 1:38

Putnam Park - Best: 1:19.2, Typical: 1:20

Road America - Best: 2:32.5, Typical: 2:36

I have other tracks but these have been most frequented.

*V2motorsports setup with BOE tune to meet class requirements.

#4 ·
Elise at Road Atlanta:

1:42.3 best, 1:45 typical

#8 ·
You're all faster 'n me at Grattan and Gingerman. I run on A048's, normal aspirated, and do 1:34 at Grattan, best high 1:33, 1:49 Gingerman. About 1:23 at Waterford Hills.

#9 ·
Grattan

4 Spots at Grattan to make up some time.

Going up the hill to the front straight I short shift to 4th (my car about 7k rpm) before going over the dip (very unsettling spot so get your angle correct). You must keep it floored through that section and let the car run out to the right to get max straight speed.

I think its corner 3, but the track falls off into a left hander. Im mid to 3/4 track and brake very late (work up to it) and get the rear of the car rotating. When you feel that rotation turn into the hill and squeeze the throttle and full throttle by exit.

Next spot is the hump or "jump", I run out of third gear and shift to 4th. I keep it floored and right before the jump, tap the brakes firmly to bring the front down, after get back on gas. I carry more speed into the first turn after the jump then shift to 3rd before the left hander, then right into the toilet bowel. I have tried this many different ways and I gained a full second here.

After toilet bowel, I have it floored and run it up to 4th gear and let the car go to the left side of the track then straight line it to the corner and brake late/shift to 3rd then up the hill. I scrub speed on turn in but keep enough mph to have a good run out to the left to be able to floor it, then up the hill.

#10 ·
Thank you Spectre, I will give that the last 3 a try next time. Already doing #1, at least I think I am.

Where I think I lose the most speed and time is getting around 1 and 3, especially 3. If you don't set that up well the entire back straight is slower.

#12 ·
Spectre, do you have any in car video at Grattan? I've seen some of your clips from Mid-Ohio. There don't seem to be many quality Elise/Exige videos at Grattan. Buckets of Corvette and Rustang videos though!!

#13 ·
Lime Rock Park- 0:59:18
Watkins Glen - 02:07:23
VIR - 02:12:02

00' Exige S1
1.8L Rover with ported head and Piper cams, stand alone ECU
Nitron singles 450/550lb springs
Speedline mag wheels with Yoko A005 Medium slicks
Full cage, car weight 1591lbs with 20L fuel

#16 ·
Grattan: 1:32 Waterford Hills: 1:24

#23 ·
Any Sebring times to share? Would like to benchmark myself.

I typically do in the 2:40's. Very wide range of times depending on traffic.

(I always seem to be either waiting for a point by, or lifting a bit as I give one.)

#24 ·
I hear ya. Funny thing is, my personal best was with some traffic and 2 passes. No point by, but had to wait about a second or two for each point by. So I'm encouraged that next year, I'll be able to reach my goal of 1:19 at the NHMS road course?
What's amazing is that the top NA Miatas can do it in 1:16!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#29 ·
Bumping this up, and also have some new ones to add from this year. I moved across the country last winter, so a whole new set of tracks!

All of these are from my first time running each track/direction, so I figure there is still a little bit of room left for me to learn:

ORP CCW: best 1:56.8
OR CW: best 1:55.6
PIR: best 1:30.0
Ridge: best 1:55.8

On a side note, I am really impressed with the tracks here in the Northwest! ORP and the Ridge are both awesome tracks with really challenging layouts!

#30 ·
If there is a thread like this, I couldn't find it.

Just thought it would be nice for everyone to post up their lap times at whatever tracks you normally run. Not trying to start any competition, but it would be nice to have some comparison points for similar cars.

Grattan (MI): Best 1:30.0, typical ~1:30.7
I hit 1:32.20 at Grattan a few weekends ago. I have similar mods to you but I'm on R888 tires. Saving up for a trailer so I can get my Hoosiers to the track. Will probably be able to completely waste that time on A6 compound :)

R888 tires on LSS wheels
Nitron singles
-2.5 deg camber all 'round thanks to Sector 111 and V2 Motorsports
Carbotech XP8 rear and XP10 front on stock rotors

#31 ·
Went to VIR last week. Second day to run the full course and first day of the Grand configuration. Stock '05 Elise on R888s.

Full was 2:20
Grand was 3:17

I think I run a 1:48 at summit's Shenandoah course but need to confirm with lap timer on my next trip. May run Summit Main next season.

#32 ·
High Plains Raceway, CO

I'm slow - 2:13 range. Trying to break into the 2:0x area next season.

Better drivers can push a TTB-eligible N/A Elise to 2:03.xx and supercharged Elise/Exiges end up in the sub-2:00s at HPR. So I have a LOT of learning to do!

Performance relevant specs: Toyo R1R, Nitron Singles, Ferodo DS3000, stock brakes, stock steering arms (just all shims removed up front), stock aero, stock power.

#33 ·
^ That's not too bad for N/A Elise at HPR. My best at HPR in a stock '07 Exige w/grooved slicks was 2:07. If I raced more, I could improve ~2 seconds, but a sub-2min lap time (full course configuration) in a stock Exige S isn't possible. You'd need much more hp for the straight after turn 3 to get it there. Consider rosscarlson's 350+ whp Exige which sneaks in just below 2min - and he's about as good as amateur racers get!!!

#35 ·
Time to add my results.

2006 Elise (NA), track pack, 2bular exhaust, stock intake, stock rotors, CL RC5+ pads, Dunlop Direzza DZ 101 or 102 tires (460 TW) unless otherwise noted. Best times, unless otherwise noted.

Colorado tracks first. I've run all these at least twice, except La Junta where I've only been once. I've run HPR as many times as all other tracks combined.
High Plains Raceway - 2:09.4 (Yoko A048 tires)
Colorado State Patrol facility - 1:13.4 (Yoko A048)
Pikes Peak International Raceway - ~1:09 (Yoko A048; timed from video, typical rather than best)
Pueblo Motorsports Park - 2:00.6
La Junta - 1:02.4

In 2014 I did a Portland trip, hit three tracks. These times are from my one and only visit to the tracks.
The Ridge Motorsports Park - 2:08.8
Portland International Raceway - 1:40.1 (with passenger)
Oregon Raceway Park - 2:10.0 (Morning ran CW, afternoon CCW. This was CCW)

In 2016 I hit three tracks in California. Again, my only one and only visit to the tracks. This trip was with the stock exhaust.
Thunderhill (3 mile) - 2:18.8
Sonoma - 2:10.9
Laguna Seca - 1:55.9 (with passenger; never had a lap without traffic)

In 2017 I went to Austin for my one and only visit to COTA.
Circuit of the Americas - 2:51.3

Speculation
At HPR, I know the difference between the Yoko A048 and the Dunlops is 4 seconds per lap. I'd say a passenger costs me 3 or 4 seconds. I have no idea what advantage the track pack gives me over standard equipment, but I suspect it's a slight advantage. Adjust the listed times appropriately for track length for what I might have accomplished with suitable tires. I think I've hit my limit at HPR, but for any track that I've only been to once, I think it's safe to say I could find some more time with practice.

#36 · (Edited)
Motorsport Ranch, Cresson, Texas (MSR-C)

Posted this YouTube video primarily as motivation and something to review/watch when I revisit this track. Due to work and lack of life balance my trips to the track decreased from every ~6 weeks to every couple months at best in 2017. In 2018 I only made it to a track a couple of sessions. Because of that I am getting very rusty. Whenever I get back again I plan on beginning and practicing left foot braking which has a learning curve and will slow me down until I learn the technique. Anyway, the point is it seems like I will not be breaking my personal best times in the near future! So, I wanted to post this video which is a collection of my best lap times at the track I frequent the most. They will be my baseline for lap times going forward. Read the video description and comments for updates.

Motorsport Ranch - Cresson, Texas (MSR-C)
9012 Performance Court, Cresson, TX 76035

Car: 2008 Lotus Exige-S 240
~2255lbs with driver

Car Modifications:
Wheels - F:16x7 R:17x8
Tires - Hoosier R7 F: 205/45-16 R:225/40-17
Additional ~ -1deg camber in front Ohlin coil overs with Lotus Cup car valving and springs
BWR Sway bar Homemade front splitter (simply got tired of replacing factory one)
Traction control off. No stability control. ABS = Yes.
Timer:
AiM SOLO DL with Smartycam v2.1

MSR-C 1.7 CCW - on vid @00:07
Counter Clockwise direction (normal)
Two heat cycles on tires ~73deg F
Lap time: 01:21.806

MSR-C 1.7 CW - on vid @01:42
Clockwise direction (backwards)
13 heat cycles on tires
~60deg F
Lap time: 01:21.855

MSR-C 3.1 - on vid @03:21
Counter Clockwise is only direction
22 heat cycles on tires
~50deg F
Lap time: 02:25:906

Hard to believe, but I have never run MSR-C's 1.3 configuration (CCW is only direction).
I also post my laptimes here: https://www.tracklaps.net/driverlaps.php?GID=260

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.