The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Racer's Tape / Painter's Tape / Blue Tape

45K views 56 replies 32 participants last post by  apexdc 
#1 ·
Do most of you guys tape specifically labeled as racer's tape? Or is the normal blue painting tape from Home Depot just fine?

Any particular brands to stay away from that might have too strong an adhesive?

Has anyone tried the following?

See less See more
#30 ·
I use (and sell) this:

low tack easily removable vinyl. 2 pairs for $25. They install in 2 pieces per side (instead of hundreds of strips of tape), then use the extra material on the sheet to put additional layers in the high impact area right in front of the rear tires. And unlike blue tape it doesn't make your nice car look all ghetto. I've never understood how people spend so much money on their car to not be racing an old beater miata, E30 or whatever (which will still be plenty of fun to flog around the track) and then make it look so crappy with blue tape and blue tape numbers. They should ban it just like clubs don't let people in wearing sneakers and jerseys, or certain golf courses require a certain appearance.

#31 ·
I've never understood how people spend so much money on their car to not be racing an old beater miata, E30 or whatever (which will still be plenty of fun to flog around the track) and then make it look so crappy with blue tape and blue tape numbers. They should ban it just like clubs don't let people in wearing sneakers and jerseys, or certain golf courses require a certain appearance.
Agreed! However, I use the frog tape mentioned earlier to hold in my turn signals, not for protection.

#32 ·
SweetDaddyD- how come you don't sell anything for the lights? Everyone tapes those up on the track. But back to the tape....I didn't realize the OP was asking for street driving. That's crazy! Just my opinion though.

#37 ·
^ Just buy new numbers from me then everytime :)
I can cut you a deal on a few sets of just simple numbers so that you don't have to worry about tape.

Surprisingly I have never been pulled over since I've had the stripes and numbers on my car, and I should of been a few times. (knocking on wood all over now....) And I have 46K miles in my car and even do road trips in it- so it's out there on the road.

#38 ·
Been using the 3M #471 Vinyl Tape, for a few year now. Did a good 1200 mile road trip (WCLM) and 2-3 track days and a few autocross on them. Just pulled most of it off after a good 7 months. Comes clean off. After having the clear film replaced a few times, don’t mind the look of the black stuff.

SDD- glad to see your offering this.

Attachments

#44 ·
#45 ·
Don't misunderstand me. I think SweetDaddy's got a good product. I just find that my Starshield get shredded on a dirty track, mainly in front of the rear wheels. I find that TrakkTape gives great protection so I won't have to replace the clear bra again.

My Starshield down low on the sides got thrashed before I started protecting it. I'll probably replace it soon with SweetDaddy's product, but will still cover it on track.
:up:

#46 ·
There is a relatively new product out for temporary paint protection. I have used it on the Rossion, the ADR3 and the tow vehicle. It works well relative to the others I have tried which were tape and RoadWrap. It works over top of existing 3M film and vinyl graphics without damaging them.

You can put it on dry or wet (like vinyl). It last for months and leaves no residue when you remove it.

Tracwrap America's #1 Temporary Paint Protection Film

I got some samples from them that I can mail out until they run out, if you PM me.

I also got them to provide a discount to forum members if you put in code "MSSW" when you order.

#48 ·
Okay, so I've used the 3m vinyltape and sweetdaddy's black vinyl on separate occasions, and I can say two things:

1. One layer is not enough. I had rocks put holes in both. Apply at least two layers in front of the rear tires, no matter what you're using.

2. Do no leave bubbles in the vinyl. Bubbles or creases become weak spots that pop and shred the material when grass slaps them at 70mph.

#49 ·
Roger, You are exactly right. Before I started using TrakkTape, I was getting rocks right through the StarShield in front of my rear wheels. Damage to the 8 mil StarShield was what got me looking for more protection.

Here is a link to installation instructions for TrakkTape. It mentions adding additional layers in high exposure areas. Installation

There are a number of products that seem to be used for track day protection, including the infamous blue tape. Frankly, I think that TracWrap looks like one of the better ones. However, in researching what would be the best product for track day use, I found that the 5 mil that we use (TrackWrap is 7 mil) was a good compromise on strength and ease of application. Then, I add an additional layer or even two in high exposure areas. Sloping panels rarely get big hits and I find that 5 mil is fine for them.

Also TrakkTape is only about 14% of the cost of TracWrap's most economical roll on a per square foot basis and only about 20% of the cost of their best price on a comparison that factors in their slightly greater thickness. And we throw in a felt edged applicator that is perfect for installs.

The bottom line is I feel they are certainly marketing a great product. In fact, the characteristics sound identical to ours.

But, in our case, you can buy five times as much tape for the same $$$.

They do, however, have a nicer web site, and I mean that sincerely. But, hey, I just got started on a group buy for EliseTalk recently and have room to improve (except on the tape, it's great).

#51 ·
Another thing you will find is that your overall coverage is more efficient as most people will do the same width overlap regardless of tape width. One layer is sufficient for most surfaces and with the narrow tape you are almost apply two layers everywhere if your overlaps are very wide.

I could get even wider tape made if there was demand, but I still like the 6" after LOTS of taping.

If you get fussy, you can almost make the tape invisible, but obviously it takes a bit of time, still.

This last Saturday, I just went quick and dirty. I taped the entire front using strips running longitudinally instead of crosswise. I went right over the headlight, grill opening,etc. I then just cut out the grill opening and side vents with an Xacto knife and tucked in the ends. Worked pretty well.

#52 ·
I got tired of ugly blue tape and bought a coupld of 3" rolls of clear Patco 5560 tape:
If you spend the time to get rid of air bubbles this can be made as invisible as starshield but even putting it on quickly it looks tons better and is not noticable from a distance. It stayed put, didn't peel at the edges (like blue tape) and came off easily after being on for two days. I will definitely get more of this stuff.

#53 ·
Hi, just a bump to say I'm still selling TrakkTape.

Thanks for the support!

Home Page

Use LT120 as Racers Net Code for discount on the 600' rolls.

info@trakktape.com is the best way to reach me. I'm bad on checking PM's.

#54 · (Edited)
Tuk tape works pretty well. It's used to seal up seems of Tyvek house wrap and also vapor barrier. It's about $12 a roll, red in color.

I have used some green frog tape on my rockers (matches better with the blaze orange my car is haha). Track was full of rocks. The rocks still ate through 3-4 layers thick. The tuk tape faired better.
Never have taped up the front. No starshield on it either. Even with driving on dirt roads and driving it to work once or twice a week (100 mile trip) it still is more or less chip free.

All in all, I bought it to car to use. Chips and scratches are gonna happen. Kinda reminds me of seeing 5-6 year old pickups for sale with a pristine bed. Why did they even own a truck?
I might be more anal over an expensive supercar but the Elise was only about 15k, one of the cheaper cars I have owned actually.

#56 ·
New TrakkTape web site

Hi guys,

I'm still selling TrakkTape.

But we are going through a few changes. We have a new site at TrakkTape | Track Day Protection

BUT, FOR LOTUS OWNERS!

We still have the old site that is being reworked for a new line of products. The new site is called TrakkRats and is here: Home Page

ONLY the old site still has the window for Racer's Net pricing. That pricing cuts the price of our 6" x 600 foot roll, the most popular, from $145 to $120.

Thanks to you guys, TrakkTape has been around for almost three years now and I have lots of satisfied customers. I just got my Elise repainted (removing the turn signals and some other stuff) and will be slapping TrakkTape on it pretty soon now.

Thanks for all the support! (and avoid those blue tape blues!)

#57 ·
TrakkTape Father's Day SPECIAL DISCOUNT!!

Well, it all started here with support from LotusTalk and TrakkTape has now been around for something like six years!

I just redid the website again at Home, BUT, FOR LOTUS OWNERS!

You can go to the site called TrakkRats.com and is here: Ordering

ONLY the TrakkRats web site has the window for Racer's Net pricing. That pricing cuts the price of our 6" x 600 foot roll, the most popular, from $145 to $120.

If you send me a message with your order that you saw this post, I will do free shipping ($14) and refund another ten bucks.

This extra discount will be good until June 30,2015.

Thanks for all the support!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.