The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Which racing seat for someone with wide shoulders

8K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  chotto 
#1 ·
So I am fairly strong in my upper body from my main hobby (waterskiing) and as such I have wider shoulders. This KILLS me when I sit in the exige as I don't fit into the "dish" of the seat and all the load is at two points where the seat cuts in. This is currently the limiting factor on how long I can stay out on the track so I would like to address this.

I have a 34-36" waist and 44R slim jacket size if that helps for a comparison. The current seat is too narrow at the waist as well, but I could live with that if the upper was better.

I have sat in the BBCS from S111 which was pretty comfortable, but I worry that it might not have enough support on the track.

Thanks for any advice.

#2 · (Edited)
There are some discussions on the Motorsports -> Safety sections of the forum...

If you want more support than S111 BBS/Tillett B5, look into Tillett B6F-XL.

The new wider version of the B6F race seat is FIA homologated to 8855-1999 and suits drivers over 100 kg. The overall dimensions are not that much greater than the standard B6 F meaning that this seat can accommodate a large driver in a very small car.

With this model you have the choice to order a 44 or 47 cm front. The two specifications remain the same size internally.
Depending on how far you need pull the seat forward, you might have to remove the center console and/or trim the edges of the seat a little bit (many seats requires this, btw).

#3 ·
I put a Recaro Profi in mine. I think, don't quote me, they sell different sizes. It required me to take the back half (tunnel) of my center console off and I had to grind a lot of the right corner of the seat off with a belt sander. If you upgrade your seats you may need to go to a fixed set of rails. If you do that, mount your harness properly and put a Sector Sys.6.pak in also.

#4 ·
Hmm, so I can't go to anything with fixed seat rails as my wife drives the car quite a bit. I guess I will have to just go to the local race shop and sit in a few and then work backwards from there?

#5 ·
I've looked at this problem, too, without much success. There are only a couple of seats that will fit into a Lotus. All have a pretty small seat area if you want any side support. If you want shoulder support, you might as well forget it unless you are going to intrude in on the passenger side area. This means that you have to modify the passenger seat. I live in the Charlotte, NC area and we have a few seat manufacturers here because of NASCAR. I was going to discuss getting a custom seat made because if I am going to spend in 2-3K range for a seat, it better fit. I've a custom seat for my circle track car and would love one for the Lotus. If others are interested, it might be possible to get a better price. I just don't want any tire kickers.

Later,
Eldon

#6 ·
I have a 36" waist but a 50" jacket size. I have a custom Kirkey seat wrapped in carbon fiber.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.