The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

RE-71R life on the track

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  acslater 
#1 ·
I live very near to a ~1.8 mile track that let me join for a few months. I have now gone quite a few times and I have ~280 laps under my belt.

Based on my approximate lap time I can say that you will get about 10 hours on the track out a set of rears and 20 hours out of a set of fronts. I can't imagine many other tracks are harder on tires then this one (harris hill) is so this is probably the worst case. I have also heat cycled these at least 30 times, and I am still getting faster. The next set of rears will probably be a better test of how they react to heat cycling as my driving reaches more of a plateau (I just started on the track and I have improved by 9 seconds so far over that stretch).

FYI I am on 205/45/16 and 245/40/17 and I got new DA penskes about 50 laps ago. I think wear increased when i got them, but I also got a new alignment which i think has too much rear toe.

#6 · (Edited)
Yes......

R888
195/50/16 F
255/40/17 R

Hoosier A7R7
205/45/16 F
245/40/17 R

Hoosier H2O
205/45/16 F
245/45/17 R

PS.......I like the purple crack but tire opinions are like *******s. Everyone has one. Experiment and find what works for your driving style.

#8 ·
yeah you're telling me! Makes it easy to find the source of vibrations in the car though, parts will just vibrate right off!

FYI the rears made it to 11 hours and you could JUST see the tread outline still.

The fronts I still had some tread in the middle, but the outsides were getting low so I just went ahead and replaced them. I flipped the tires 2/3 of the way through as well. I also drove 3500 non track miles on them. Honestly I could have run a few more days on the rears and a bunch more on the fronts, but they were getting pretty slippery as they had seemingly heat cycled out long ago!

#10 ·
27/28 ish. Didn't always keep it perfect and much lower for ax. I think fronts needed to be higher for maximum life and better heat life within a session. Definitely should have been upping the front pressure on the highway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.