The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

SCCA Track Night in America Driven by Tire Rack

5K views 29 replies 11 participants last post by  mannix 
#1 ·
Text Font Logo Banner Brand

I’m helping out to promote this wonderful new program called SCCA Track Night in America Driven by Tire Rack that was started earlier this year by the SCCA.

Track Night in America

This is a great way of getting on the track and SCCA has made the process as simple and low-cost as possible. The price of only $150 gets you three 20 minute sessions. The events are held at race tracks all around the country and takes place during the afternoon and evening hours on the weekdays so you can save the weekends for other plans and you can even work half a day if you want before heading out to the track. All you basically need is a helmet to participate.

The Rules and Regulations are very simple:
Rules and Regulations - Track Night in America

Another thing that is interesting is that at 6pm there is a paced “parade laps” session that allows anyone, registered driver or not, to drive anything, teched car or not, for some slow laps on the track, including passengers, without helmets. So bring your friends out that always wanted to see what track driving is like.

Although the program has a strong focus on getting novices to the track, it’s also for the experienced drivers. There are three run groups – Novice, Intermediate and Advanced. The Advanced Group is allowed to pass anywhere on the track with a point-by. They also allow to have passengers under certain conditions (Novice and Intermediate drivers may receive in-car coaching from Advanced drivers and Novices and Intermediate drivers may ride-ride along with Advanced drivers).

There are a few good articles written abut this program if you are interested:
Track Night Is The Best Night - Track Night in America
Winding Road | The Guide to Getting Started in Road Racing, Part 11: Track Night in America

Search for an Track Night event near you:
Events - Track Night in America

I also have a $25 off coupon code if you are interested in giving this a try. Thats $125 for an hour of track time. You can’t beat that! PM me for the coupon code if interested.

See less See more
#2 ·
You can now get an additional $50 off for the following locations:

- Southern California (Willow Springs Raceway)
- Denver (High Plains Raceway)
- Southwestern Michigan (Gingerman Raceway)

I believe you get the $50 off in addition to the $25 code that I have. Now this is a bargain! PM me for both codes.

#3 ·
Last night's Track Night in America at High Plains Raceway was a great success. Only a pair of Lotus' showed up; mine, and Ross Carlson's.

I was running the event last night, so take it for what it is worth, but talking to all the participants, everyone had a great time. No incidents, no mechanicals, fifteen drivers, including a father/son combo (dad was in a 4wd F150, of all things), a husband/wife team.

Ross was by far and away the most accomplished of the group, he's not the "target market," but he knows a good deal on track time when he sees it.

The SCCA is hosting Track Night in America events across the country - they're selling out on the coasts, but HPR is not really drawing big numbers. That's due to the fact, at least in part, that inexpensive track time is easy to come by. At $150 (or $100ish, if you "know a guy" ^^^^ ;), this is NOT expensive, 3 20 minute sessions plus some parade laps, and the beauty of it is, the TNiA program puts strong controls over passing - it is as low-risk as you can get, save renting the track by yourself.

We have professional corner workers and an EMT staff on hand, just like a roadrace or TT, but we make very sure that we're "on top" of everything.

It'd be great to see more Lotuseseseses (my plural of Lotus) out next month - if you want to get out on a track, but are concerned about damage/reckless drivers/Corvette people/etc, this is the perfect opportunity.

I'll likely be working the next TNiA at HPR - if you have questions, please PM me, happy to help!

Iain Mannix

#5 ·
Last night's Track Night in America at High Plains Raceway was a great success. Only a pair of Lotus' showed up; mine, and Ross Carlson's.

I was running the event last night, so take it for what it is worth, but talking to all the participants, everyone had a great time. No incidents, no mechanicals, fifteen drivers, including a father/son combo (dad was in a 4wd F150, of all things), a husband/wife team.

Ross was by far and away the most accomplished of the group, he's not the "target market," but he knows a good deal on track time when he sees it.

The SCCA is hosting Track Night in America events across the country - they're selling out on the coasts, but HPR is not really drawing big numbers. That's due to the fact, at least in part, that inexpensive track time is easy to come by. At $150 (or $100ish, if you "know a guy" ^^^^ ;), this is NOT expensive, 3 20 minute sessions plus some parade laps, and the beauty of it is, the TNiA program puts strong controls over passing - it is as low-risk as you can get, save renting the track by yourself.

We have professional corner workers and an EMT staff on hand, just like a roadrace or TT, but we make very sure that we're "on top" of everything.

It'd be great to see more Lotuseseseses (my plural of Lotus) out next month - if you want to get out on a track, but are concerned about damage/reckless drivers/Corvette people/etc, this is the perfect opportunity.

I'll likely be working the next TNiA at HPR - if you have questions, please PM me, happy to help!

Iain Mannix
Thanks for the report Iain. Hope Ross didn't scared the newbies :D I'm doing NJMP in July and I'll report back.

#4 ·
Sounds like a blast, shouldn't have missed it.

I've never done a Colorado SCCA event (just NASA and lapping days) so I had no idea what the crowd would be like. Sounds like with only 15 people it was lots of nice wide open track. I'll see if I can swing the July one with work and head out there. I'll try to haul my parents and their Boss 302 out as well.

#9 ·
I love the TrackNights events also! Have done these instead of autocross this year, been a nice change. The format is awesome, very laid back and fun events. Here is a video from one of the events I did back in April @ AMP.

#10 ·
Been meaning to chime in as I did have a good time and everyone running the event, Mannix was especially was great. I arrived a bit late as I figured it would be similar to a open lapping day and not a big deal. It wasn't but seemed that normally it would be, when Mannix asked "have you been here before" and my answer was "uh, yeah, probably have 4000 laps here" he looked at me and said what he said here "uh, this event isn't really aimed at you". I didn't mind in the least, I'm not "that guy" and can easily just have fun when that's the call vs. shoot for a lap time. I went and unloaded, got the car ready and waited for the next "advanced" run group.

My only real complaint with the event was the lack of instruction combined with total novice drivers. In this case not much you can do about that given the size of the group and cost for drivers. I do strongly recommend people do many days with an instructor before going solo but with that said given this was so small and no pressure so it worked ok. While I hate seeing novice drivers build bad habits, as no one is telling them otherwise it's just the nature of the beast. A few that I chatted with that clearly wanted to do it again I strongly recommended a PCA event as for an extra $30 they get someone like me as their dedicated instructor.

Surprisingly it actually was a great event for me as they let me grid first and as it would take me about 4 laps to lap the pack I got 4 totally clean laps. It'd take about 2 laps to get around the field (of 4 others only!) then I'd get another 4 clean laps. At the end of the event Mannix said "when the final checker comes out just keep going, we'd like to give you another 20 minutes solo". That was extremely generous but I did cut it short. On my last lap all the corners were throwing the black (for everyone to come off) and I just didn't feel like making 8 or so people wait so I could do 8 more laps. I lapped on Friday, Saturday and Sunday after so I got plenty of track time this weekend and wanted to be nice/generous to the corner workers (corner workers ROCK!)

Definitely unfortunate given the low turn out (14 cars total) but I was very impressed with how great, laid back but also safe the event was run. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they didn't do this again next year at HPR, as Mannix said there are many chances to get on HPR for about that money and/or for a bit more get a qualified instructor, etc. Totally see how it would work in major markets.

Only real bummer for me was I thought it ran until 10 (really only 8) as I was looking forward to running in twilight/dark as I haven't done that in the Exige before. Definitely hoping to see Mannix back out and to take some laps with him, always love being in an Elige!!

-Ross

#18 ·
Hi David, do you have PM enabled? I don't see a way to PM you. Also, the $50 off is for certain tracks only. Which track do you plan on going? Thanks

Richard

#13 ·
#16 ·
I will be going to my 3rd this Thursday! Did one in my focus st. Alot of fun and pretty relaxed atmosphere. I have had instruction many times on PBIR so it is just practice now. I would do events with an instructor first as it really helps especially on a new track. I hope this gets more people out on the track and off the streats. I think they are pushing normal sports cars mot just high end ones. The alfa 4c ran great last event. The owner traded his s240 for it. I still like my Elise

#17 ·
Btw if your an scca member it is already $25 off.

#24 ·
So how was it, Tommy? I was planning on going out and got stuck at the office, but am hoping to make the next one (next month).

My SCCA membership lapsed next year. Would you (or anyone else who's a current SCCA member) PM me your membership # so I can take advantage of the referral discount? (Wonder if I can refer myself with the old one?)

-Scott

#21 ·
Thanks JWA!

Looking for how to enable PMs (odd that they're disabled on this forum by default?) - I will be going to High Plains Raceway next week. I have been out there a number of times over the years and really enjoy it.
David, once you have over five posts shoot me a PM and I'll get you the code.

#25 ·
Hey Scott, great time but really hot the 1st session. Usually Jack will send out an email a couple weeks before each event with a discount code. When I get the email I will pm you with it. There was another Elise there running in novice group. His name was Ed, not sure if he is on the forum. Tommy

#30 ·
Resurrecting an older thread vs starting new - Track Night in America is back!

I'm still working the Denver/High Plains events; the next event is June 7th - just a few weeks away.

It'd be fantastic to put names to faces from here, for those in the Denver area. We've always had lower turnout than other parts of the country, and we're looking to change that. HPR is not THAT far from Denver - it is 63 miles from the intersection of I25 and I70, and traffic around noon is typically good - and once past Pena Blvd, there is no traffic.

High Plains is a lot of fun, the Colorado Region has REALLY stepped up to the plate as far as corner workers, driver coaches - we now have two, Anthony Simmers (https://www.anthonysimmers.com) and Mike Pettiford - both accomplished roadracers with thousands of laps at HPR (and most other tracks, if you're planning on traveling, ask them about Turn 3 at Some Other Track, they'll know...).

The CO Region is also bringing food/snacks/drinks - it really is a fun evening.

Check out specific details here - http://www.tracknightinamerica.com

Also, there's a $25 off code - GRM4209Z6 - I know it works for Denver, may or may not work at other tracks.

Or, hit me up here via PM or email (ircmannix/gmail) if you have any questions. TNiA is an awesome program.

Hope to see you in June!

Iain Mannix

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.