The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Texas World Speedway (TWS) - Closing

6K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  RBH 
#1 ·
TWS is frequented by others in this forum more than me but it was still depressing to hear of its pending closure. If you want to visit this historic place, and the "easiest to access" Superspeedway in Texas you should work to book some track time ASAP!

It was announced early in 2014 that TWS will be re-developed into a neighborhood. At the time of this writing it is uncertain if we will get to drive at TWS in 2015. Do yourself a favor and search the Internet for historical TWS information. You will soon realize why it is tragic that we are losing this historic track.

Although personally I have always had horrible luck during my visits (mechanical or weather) I still continue to make the 4hr drive down to College Station, TX from Dallas to give it a go.

I noticed on the two Lotus forums that I frequent that no one has really mentioned that the track is being closed. I have however seen a few videos from other forum members from this track, how about posting them up here to pay our respects and celebrate our great memories at TWS!

My video starts with my best lap from the last HPDE I attended, then continues with various highlights, antics, and pictures from that event.

My videos

See less See more
#2 ·
TWS is frequented by others in this forum more than me but it was still depressing to hear of its pending closure. If you want to visit this historic place, and the "easiest to access" Superspeedway in Texas you should work to book some track time ASAP!

It was announced early in 2014 that TWS will be re-developed into a neighborhood. At the time of this writing it is uncertain if we will get to drive at TWS in 2015. Do yourself a favor and search the Internet for historical TWS information. You will soon realize why it is tragic that we are losing this historic track.

Although personally I have always had horrible luck during my visits (mechanical or weather) I still continue to make the 4hr drive down to College Station, TX from Dallas to give it a go.

I noticed on the two Lotus forums that I frequent that no one has really mentioned that the track is being closed. I have however seen a few videos from other forum members from this track, how about posting them up here to pay our respects and celebrate our great memories at TWS!

My video starts with my best lap from the last HPDE I attended, then continues with various highlights, antics, and pictures from that event.
Texas World Speedway (TWS) - 2.9mi CCW - YouTube
Yep, it sux. I always enjoy TWS. You are running some nice laps there. I will try to post a video from time trials last month (clockwise). That vette is very familiar to me, the guy is always like that. I pretty much just cruise through the hot pit when I catch him now.

#4 ·
Yes, NASA....The Driver's Edge....and they have their own Performance Driving School. Also, Chinn Motorsports has been there recently.

I drove down once for an "open lapping day". Wow, that was different. You had to be solo approved. Other than that, it was just drive all you want for a whole day. No groups or sessions.

#10 ·
Ok, I am going to volunteer one that still cracks me up. It has been posted at LT and other forums before by the author but I think it is worth a revisit!

Fast hands avoid a Lotus Exige spin at Texas World Speedway (TWS) - YouTube
I have tried that stunt but differently, just too green to get back on throttle quickly and balance the car.

Having hands quick enough or being lucky enough to regain straight line with essentially no weight on the rear is pretty remarkable. I have tried it a few times, never got past three swings of the pendulum.

But yeah, hate to see a piece of history lost like that. Not as bad as losing more woods and natural areas but regrettable. Progress. What are you gonna do?

#11 ·
Exactly a year after the video I started this thread with, on May 16-18, 2015 I made it down to TWS for the final time. Hosted by The Drivers Edge, my friends and I had an absolute blast bidding it farewell. It was a great moment spent with them and we are all very sad that it has closed.

R.I.P. - Texas Motor Speedway - 1969 to June 2015

Attachments

#12 ·
Some facts from their website before it goes down for good, additional info can be found at: Texas World Speedway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Texas World Speedway was completed in 1968 and its first sanctioned race was in 1969.

The historic Texas World Speedway is one of only seven Super Speedways in the USA and is the only Super Speedway in the Southwest. The other US Super Speedways are Indianapolis, Daytona, Pocono, Talladega, California, and Michigan (TWS’s “sister track”).

TWS’s two mile high bank oval became known as "The World's Fastest Speedway" when Mario Andretti set a world closed course speed record of 214.158 mph on October 6, 1973 while qualifying for an Indy car race. That record stood in the Guinness Book of World Records for twelve years.

TWS has been the site of numerous Indy car, stock car, motorcycle, truck, and sports car races including:

TEXAS 500, LONE STAR 500
BUDWEISER/NASCAR 400
TEXAS GRAND PRIX
TEXAS RACE OF CHAMPIONS
TEXAS 200, ARCA/WINSTON WEST 500
TEXAS WORLD GRAND PRIX
EXXON SUPERFLO 500

Sanctioned by United States Auto Club, NASCAR, ARCA, Sports Car Club of America, the American Motorcycle Association, WERA, IMSA, and other racing organizations.

Historic Events @ TWS:

Mario Andretti set a world closed course speed record of 214.158 mph on October 6, 1973 while qualifying for an Indy car race. That record stood in the Guinness Book of World Records for twelve years.

The World Record for a Diesel Bob Tail Truck was set at TWS in April, 1981 by Charlie Baker at a speed of 132.6 mph.

A. J. Foyt has won more races at TWS than any other driver. Additionally, he is the only race car driver to have won races in both an Indy Car and a Stock Car, and the only driver to have won races in both types of cars on the same day.

Johnny Rutherford won his first national championship at Texas World Speedway, October 31, 1976 at the Texas Grand Prix.

At the 1993 ARCA race held at Texas World Speedway in 1993, Darrell Waltrip won in a Chevrolet and Page Jones, at 20, became the youngest driver in ARCA history to have sat on a superspeedway pole. Additionally, Mickey Gibbs won at TWS in '92 and two-time series champion Bill Venturini was victorious in '91 at TWS.

TWS has always been known as one of the safest race tracks in the country. In 1979, a NASCAR Grand National (now Sprint Cup) Stock Car race went 396 out of 400 miles before a yellow "caution" flag came out for two laps. The following year the race went all 400 miles without a yellow "caution" flag. Thus, in 800 miles of NASCAR racing there was only one two lap "caution" period.

TWS originated the rule of not finishing a race under the yellow "caution" flag in the 1977 TEXAS RACE OF CHAMPIONS. The rule provides for two finishing green flag laps to be run following a yellow "caution" period so as to not deprive race fans of an exciting finish to a race. This rule was later adopted by the USAC Stock Car Division and later by several other racing sanctioning organizations.

Ferrari introduced its new F-50 model at TWS, which was featured in the January '96 issue of Autoweek, the June '96 issue of Motor Trend, and was featured on the Motor Trend TV.

The '97 Pontiac was at TWS for a feature article in Popular Mechanics magazine.

The Chevrolet Monte Carlo Nascar car was tested at TWS as were Firestone tires in preparation for their return to the Indy 500.

Many race fans recognize TWS in TV commercials for Budweiser, Texaco, Mobil, among others. Jaguar, Honda, Pontiac, and Saturn are among those who have hosted their dealers for "Ride and Drives".

#13 ·
And....of course, you heard that it is staying open to the end of the YEAR!! Woohoo! Delays in the housing development = more track time for us. Let's play.

#14 ·
Whooooot! :clap:

Bill Mather, president and CEO of operations for Texas World Speedway, told The Eagle on Wednesday the track would remain open through the end of the year, depending on how soon several issues related to the planned development can be resolved.

The development, which included 1,400 homes along with parks and commercial and retail space, still is moving forward, despite a petition to keep the speedway open permanently that gathered more than 2,500 signatures. Mather expects construction to begin around summer 2016.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.