Tools for the track, what do you bring? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 09:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Tools for the track, what do you bring?

I guess this applies to autocross or any other forms of motorsports.

I've been autocrossing almost 2 years now and just began doing track days.
I'm just curious what tools/equipment/spares are must have, nice to have, and probably overkill?

The tools I bring a pretty simple, for now:

Torque wrench, breaker bar, sockets
Tire pressure gauge, pump

I might look into getting data loggers and pyrometers in the near future, although at this point, investing in more seat time to tighten the loose nut behind the wheel will probably be the biggest improvement.

http://www.youtube.com/forkmeupscotty
forkmeupscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2012, 10:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Torque wrench- Check
Pressure gauge- Check
Air tank- Check

So far so good:-)

GOOD TO HAVE
Upgraded toe links
Baffled oil pan
Baffled fuel tank
Low profile jack w/hockey pucks
A good pyrometer
Turtle wax bug and tar remover
RainX
Oil
Video camera with mounting hardware.
Extra fuel if gas stations are not close by. (Especially important for track days. Fuel starvation)
Food and H2O

OVERKILL
2 post lift
150 gallon compressor
Air tools
2 level car carrier with grill and personal chef
Tire blankets

NICE TO HAVE
Data logger
Pit crew (friends that happen to be car guy/girls)
Rain tire/wheel set up

MORE SEAT TIME would be at the top of the list.
I saw an instructor take a complete POS miata (bald junkyard tires, some rust, oxidized paint, torn up top, beat up roll bar around the track at an insane speed. He proudly told me he bought it for $1,500. He was passing everything, Vettes, Porsches, BMW's etc..... His bio states "It's better to drive a slow car fast than to drive a fast car slow." Seat time and skill trump go fast parts:-) Skill and go fast parts is my ultimate goal.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

02 Wrangler Sahara. 3" suspension lift, 1" body lift, 33" tires. Different tool for different job

Last edited by LotusCC; 10-03-2012 at 11:40 PM.
LotusCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

I bring some oil, brake fluid, breaker bar, hex keys, wrenchES, contractor garbarge bags (for rain), pancho, extra set of pads, tire pressure gauge, torque wrench, a couple microfiber cloths. Theres probably stuff I'm forgetting but thats most of it. All fits in a tote that rides in the passenger seat.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
www.theapexinn.com

spare brake pads
Elise #2292 / CO / Starshield / Nitron Sport SA / RTDbrace / Uprights machined / Down Low rails / DBA 4000 Wiper Slot Rotors/ V1 / SS lines w/Pagid Black / G-Pan / Odyssey PC680 with RLS Bracket / Difflow 5 Element diffuser / Stebel Nautilus horn
www.theapexinn.com www.apex-inn.com
" I started flying when Sex was safe and Hang Gliding was dangerous "
kestrel74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:25 AM   #5 (permalink)

Bring an atractive female to help corner balance your car, unless you have already had it corner balanced. My times are always faster with a passenger.
Storm titanium 2005 Elise with carbon fiber spoiler, BWR sway bar, BOE toe links, gPan2, LidBone, sector 111 wheel studs, Grey RAC Monolite wheels with toyo R1R, Team Dynamics 1.4 with Hoosier A6/R6s, Katana2 Supercharger, ECU with 265 flash. PPE headers w/decat, CEL angle eliminator, Silent touch catback, Rear Panel Eliminator, HKS intake, V2 fuel tank, Walbro255 fuel pump. HID lights.
addertooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

Well, looks like I have most of it covered so far.. including the hot chick.
I have the in-car camera setup that I forgot to mention already, I may run some sort of smartphone GPS app or something until I get a proper datalogger.

Glass&bug cleaner/rag, check
Oil, check
Oil starve/fuel starve... I'll look into it.

extra brake fluid/pads.. I'll need some

maybe blue tape/trakk tape..

Hmm. it WOULD be nice to have a truck/trailer setup to bring EVERYTHING I can probably think of, but I travel light.. for now.

Looking to get a quality pyrometer.. and all I see is the Longacre needle probe type pyrometers, which I think costs a bit much than it should... Any suggestions?

Old 10-09-2012, 04:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

What would you need a Pyrometer for? To determine tire temps outside the surface or inside the tire?

....Because my wireless retrofit TPMS system I have on my car tells me how much pressure AND the temps in the tires. Would this work as a good alternative to needing a Pyrometer?

'13 Smart ForTwo Electric Drive
Shoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

A pyrometer is used to get tire temps just under the tire surface at 3 locations, inside-middle-outside of tire to assist with determining proper tire pressure and suspension settings.
da40flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:57 AM   #9 (permalink)

I bring everything but the part or tool I need
kverges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:05 AM   #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kverges View Post
I bring everything but the part or tool I need
That always seems to be the case…no matter how much you bring, you will never have it all. So that’s why the F-1 guys have so many 18-wheelers…each!

A man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.
[Oliver Wendell Holmes]
<@¿@> is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:58 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoof View Post
What would you need a Pyrometer for? To determine tire temps outside the surface or inside the tire?

....Because my wireless retrofit TPMS system I have on my car tells me how much pressure AND the temps in the tires. Would this work as a good alternative to needing a Pyrometer?

Because I'm a data freak.
I like to have more data than I know what to do with them.
In reality, I don't have any sort of datalogger. Hell, I don't even use a stopwatch since I'm still kind of new at this.
The plan for now is, be aware of what's ahead of me and survive each session and start driving consistently before trying to chase something. I only have one track day under my belt so far, after all.

I'm hoping the temperature data will give me insight to how I use the tire. I could be under driving them or over driving them. I could maybe afford an extra camber at the front. Maybe I'll increase or reduce tire pressure. Maybe I fell out of the optimal temperature range.. etc etc etc.

I like your TPMS setup, though. Looks interesting...
But cars from 2008 and on, including mine, comes stock with TPMS due to the gov't regulation. It's pretty dumb, though. It's basically like a O2 sensor as in you are either within the accepted range or not.
I'd be curious about your system's accuracy and sample rates and how it reads the temperature.
Ideally, I'd want an IR sensor that'll give me live temperature data like how the F1 guys do.
IRN8 C - Automotive sensors, test departments sensors, IR tire temperature - Texense sensors - By Texys
But for me, a 4 channel system like this will do.

Of course, it'll still be way out of my budget, though

Old 11-11-2012, 03:00 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by forkmeupscotty View Post

I like your TPMS setup, though. Looks interesting...
I'd be curious about your system's accuracy and sample rates and how it reads the temperature.
The psi reading is spot on to my hand held pressure gauge, as I did my first HPDE last month and was constantly readjusting the tires to the recommended hot pressures. Biggest problem I had was every time I pulled in for the session, I immediately aired down the tires to be 26F/28R because they were heating up significantly. The tires didn't cool down all that much in between sessions, that when I went out for the next session, the pressure was up again to about 29.4F/31.2R, and I would air it down again to 26/28 Hot. I borrowed a fellow's Pyrometer just for the heck of it to see what kind of readings I would get. The hottest reading was the inside of the driver's rear tire, which neared 150 degrees. The temps on the interior of the tire as shown on the sensor display is nowhere close to the exterior readings I was getting with the pyrometer, of course...
Old 11-11-2012, 03:17 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoof View Post

Nice setup. Do you have a link to where you purchased that?
pray4mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:50 PM   #14 (permalink)

Small hydraulic jack
1 jack stand
2 small tire chocks (wood blocks)
(no use having spare brake pads if you can't jack the car up and support it)
foam pad for knees
bicycle floor pump

Brake bleeder hose & empty catch can
Spark plug socket + long extension rod
Spare spark plugs
Socket wrench set
combo wrenches
screwdrivers & hex wrenches

Duct tape
Wide painter's tape
assorted hose clamps
paper towels & windex
oil
brake fluid

Most of this fits in a small tub and a tool box that is short enough (9") to fit in the trunk of my Elise. Folding chair, cooler, jack and floor pump sit in the passenger footwell.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:19 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pray4mojo View Post
Nice setup. Do you have a link to where you purchased that?
Sure -
Amazon.com: Schrader SCH-BRK-4PC TPMS Retrofit Kit For Passenger Car and Light Truck (Wireless-Battery Operated Display): Automotive Amazon.com: Schrader SCH-BRK-4PC TPMS Retrofit Kit For Passenger Car and Light Truck (Wireless-Battery Operated Display): Automotive

They also make a wired version:
Amazon Amazon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Track and Technique