The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Track days w/o a trailer: what do you bring and how do you pack it.

5K views 23 replies 19 participants last post by  slowturn 
#1 ·
I'm getting prepped for my first DE in the lotus. I don't have a tow vehicle/trailer and trying to figure out what to bring and how to get it there. In my old STI I could fit a cooler, plastic tub full of spares, fluid and tools, jack and stands, folding chair and a full set of tires if I wanted to. The Elise is a totally different story.

Show me your set ups please!

#4 ·
I have a tow vehicle and a trailer now, but have driven the Elise to many track days. It's not bad. I have a small soft-sided cooler that will fit in the trunk along with a tool bag, folding chair and my helmet. There is still room to wedge in some extra bottles of fluids, glass cleaner, rags, whatever. The tool bag just has a good tire gauge, OBDII scanner and some basic tools like sockets, screwdriver, pliers, etc. My passenger seat was always empty, but you could put a jack in the floor. On hot days in the summer, I would carry a larger more insulated cooler in the floorboard on the passenger side.

#5 ·
I have put a 5 gal gas can, medium sized cooler, and 10" canopy in the passenger seat and floor (I usually go to the track topless, but it should also work with a top). In the "trunk", I put my helmet, selection of emergency tools (including torque wrench), spare oil and brake fluid, rags, towel, painters tape (for numbers and to cover headlights and turn signals), windshield cleaner, my soft top (in case of rain), wheel chocks, and a small jack. It gets a little tight, but I am prepared.

#8 ·
I've only done one HPDE event but I didn't find I needed much. A folding camping chair, a small softside cooler w/ water and a couple snacks, helmet, hat, sunscreen, and a handful of tools is about it. Just have fun, most likely the guy next to you in the 24' trailer will have something if you need to borrow a tool, air up your tires, or provide shade.

#14 ·
Nickshu has a point. I did start checking to see if my friend from Midland would be at the event. He brings pretty much anything you can imagine, including spare parts and a trailer with a lift inside it.

I did the BOE trailer hitch and small trailer for a while. It is very nicely made and works well. It just got to the point where I prefer getting things ready the night before in my own garage and not having to crawl around on the ground changing tires in the dark at the track. Too lazy.

#13 ·
Cooler in passenger footwell. Overnight bag and backpack on passenger seat (these contain a second set of clothes, sunscreen, extra hat, snacks, laptop, etc). In the trunk I have small air compressor, helmet, head and neck restraint, collapsible orange cones, small low-profile jack, engine oil, paper towel, windshield cleaner, torque wrench and all my other assorted tools (which isn't much).

You guys and your portable chairs -- what luxury!

#15 · (Edited)
I pull the 40 x 48" trailer with 12" wheels. It carries race wheels with slicks, air tank, three-drawer toolbox, and five gallon fuel can. Duffel, helmet bag, torque wrench, and hoverboard (pit vehicle) in boot. Jack, coolant, oil, and small toolbag in passenger footwell. Cooler on seat. A 24V impact wrench and foam pad for kneeling make wheel changing reasonably quick and painless.

#16 · (Edited)
You'll be surprised how much stuff our trunks can hold as long as you utilize the space wisely. I bring a large gym bag and it are tools, torque wrench, gloves, baclava, 1qt. of oil, mL of Motul RBF, small tire inflator, tire pressure gauge, windex, paper towels and other misc. A small tool bag. I also bring 2 helmets, my communication equipment in a case, tire pyrometer in a case, two 2x2 plywood planks, a yoga mat, and a sweater or jacket. Now in the front footwell, I'm able to fit a jack helper, a small harbor freight jack, a 5 gallon plastic gas can, a foldable chair, and a farmers hat. On the passenger seat, I have a little back pack that I have my personal stuff.

I forgot my Necksgen HNR goes in the boot also.

#19 ·
I by no means am an expert on this, I track my car 12-15 times a year but have only been doing it 3 years so I consider my self still new to it.

1. I hate working on my car at the track, I'm there to have fun, drive and learn. Not play mechanic so I make sure my car is 100% ready to go. I do take some spares but very little and tools to get me by.

2. Tires should be no problem for you because your new at it. Most likely your not going to outdrive what you have on the car and if you do its a good learning experience in car control.

3. Important things.....Keep yourself hydrated, fed, and in the shade if you are in a warm climate like Road Atlanta in July. Take what you need to achieve that. I have a friend that shows up in her 944 with a cooler, a chair, sunscreen, tires and an umbrella. And low cut tops but........... I take all kinds of **** in the summer, ext cords, fans, head wraps, ****** hats.......It gets hot. Plan for it.

4. 4 things I use the most, tire gauge, torque wrench, 12v air comp, and a jack occasionally. Factor in fuel also, are you going to buy fuel at the track or locally? Plan for it.

5. Last.......I see a lot of people drive to the track that have mechanical problems and then spend the next 4 hours trying to figure out how to get home. We push our cars on the track and it does happen to the best of us. Research a local towing company that can take you home, a Uhaul truck and dolly, etc....... Don't get stuck on sunday afternoon saying WTF. Have a contingency plan, Be like Scotty on Star Trek and be able to go into damage control mode quick.

Hope this helps a bit.........PM me if you have any questions.

Reactions: SS Lotus Elise
#21 ·
I did... to another forum member.

#22 ·
My 12V compressor has alligator clips and long leads so I don't have to use the power socket in the interior.

Seen too many blown fuses and even 2-3 melted power sockets.

#24 ·
I Agree. In my first 2 seasons participating in DE events, I drove about 180 miles each way with a small plastic box. In it I had 1 qt of oil, a decent air pressure gauge, front brake pads, a roll of paper towels, 2 microfiber towels, glass cleaner and an umbrella. Focus on learning and have Fun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.