Track exhaust advise - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2008, 10:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Track exhaust advise

Trying to reduce engine heat on the track so removing the diffuser was advised. I have a Larini Sport under diffuser model with Larini sport cat and it's too loud. I'm an aggressive driver, but a wuss when it comes to noise, especially for endurance sessions (6-8000 RPM) and the drive home (4000 RPM). So I need advise on the right above the diffuser muffler - light, not too loud, preferably legal at Laguna Seca, no drone, brain seems to prefer high over low pitch.

I heard the Von Hep on the track and it was very nice. Concerned about endcap screws, even though that seems like a good feature if it doesn't fall apart. Tubular has so many sizes - which one is just right? Is Larini's new Clubsport too loud??

Winner gets a free stock muffler
fine print: shipping n/incl.

Sorry if you all feel like this belongs in another catagory, but I trust my bros and sisters of the track more than the avg LTers
- 2010 Lotus Challenge Series Superstock champion
- 2012 Lotus Cup Open Class 2nd Place

R'elise Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2008, 06:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

I assume you mean rear pannel removal and not diffuser. Assuming that, I liked the sound of someone at the track that ran custom Borla setup. He bought a universal Borla muffler and had a welder fab up brackets for it. Bought two 2.5" muffler clamps and a 90 degree mandrel bent 304 stainless 2.5" pipe. Sounds quieter than stock (verified by a dB meter) and no drone on the highway. However, the sound was more lower pitch than stock.
AZReason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:56 AM   #3 (permalink)

Glen,

Have you checked out S111's Larini Sport 8 inch exhaust?

Larini 8 Inch Single Tip Exhaust for the Lotus Elise and Exige

I have been considering it for many of the same reasons you mentioned.

I'm not sure how its dB ratings compare to other exhausts...I think Shinoo runs the 8 inch on his car (or has a car at S111 that does).
Old 06-19-2008, 07:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

Glen, I tried no rear panel and it didn't really run any cooler. And I also have had 3 different 2ublar exhausts and they all drone @ 3.5-4k . now im back to stock heavy but I can drive 2 hours to the track with out a headache. Monday was hot all the cars were running 207-220 also the streets doesn't create the air flow that bw or the big track does because of the tight sections and the short straights.carl
Old 06-19-2008, 07:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

For on-track times, you should wear earplugs. You will lose very little feedback and gain much sanity.

As far as sound at Laguna, do you make it with your current setup? 92db can be tough in just about anything once you open up the exhaust substnatially.

Steve
SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Buz

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl View Post
Glen, I tried no rear panel and it didn't really run any cooler. And I also have had 3 different 2ublar exhausts and they all drone @ 3.5-4k . now im back to stock heavy but I can drive 2 hours to the track with out a headache. Monday was hot all the cars were running 207-220 also the streets doesn't create the air flow that bw or the big track does because of the tight sections and the short straights.carl
Did you try the 8"x24" 2bular with a 2.5 inch or smaller core? With a 2.5 inch core that should flow plenty for 300hp at the crank it is quieter than stock at cruise and no drone. The 2.25 inch core for a na car would be even be a bit quieter with no worries of being black flagged at noise limited tracks. Removing the heat shielding, ceramic coated header, bypassing the tb coolant, and Waterwetter did make it run about 5 degrees cooler. Mesh grills on the engine lid also seem to either let more heat out or more cool air in. h
Buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:06 AM   #7 (permalink)

I've got to say I loved the Von Hep that I had one for the one day before the motor went. minimal drone, nice deep sound, nothing like the arqray high pitch rasp. Ported stock header, larini decat, and vonhep will be my setup. I will either bolt up the stock muffler or get creative at Laguna Seca.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:42 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buz View Post
Did you try the 8"x24" 2bular with a 2.5 inch or smaller core? With a 2.5 inch core that should flow plenty for 300hp at the crank it is quieter than stock at cruise and no drone. The 2.25 inch core for a na car would be even be a bit quieter with no worries of being black flagged at noise limited tracks. Removing the heat shielding, ceramic coated header, bypassing the tb coolant, and Waterwetter did make it run about 5 degrees cooler. Mesh grills on the engine lid also seem to either let more heat out or more cool air in. h
No the last one was 7X24 X 2 1/2" ok above 4 or below 3. also the sc cars have more drone. carl
Old 06-19-2008, 12:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

+1 on the 2bular 8X24!!!

Darth G-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 04:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Switchblade

Glen, you drove my Exige, what did you think? It has the 8" Larini. I love the sound and it does not drone. Come on down to our shop and take it for a cruise on the freeway to confirm. I've listened to so many exhausts on the Lotus that I've lost count.

I think the Larini 8" is the way to go. It meets all of your listed requirements - though Laguna noise legality is not known.

And it is in stock.
Facebook, YouTube, Twitter
shinoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:02 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinoo View Post
Glen, you drove my Exige, what did you think? It has the 8" Larini. I love the sound and it does not drone. Come on down to our shop and take it for a cruise on the freeway to confirm. I've listened to so many exhausts on the Lotus that I've lost count.

I think the Larini 8" is the way to go. It meets all of your listed requirements - though Laguna noise legality is not known.

And it is in stock.
I was in the car a lot on monday and i agree Glen its the best i've heard. carl
Old 06-19-2008, 08:06 PM   #12 (permalink)

Yah - I felt that way about it too after driving Shinoo's car. Very soft, clean sound. Very liveable. Almost lovely :-? I suppose it's the best choice for me but I'm attracted to the lighter weight models for obvious reasons and I'm wondering if they are just too loud. I've tried the earplugs - several kinds - and while they help in the noise dept, my ears get swollen and they are impossible to insert after a couple sessions. So I've resorted to overdoses of Advil which ultimately give me nosebleeds. I'm telling you - I'm a mess! I know what you're thinking - this guy needs the Midas touch.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:12 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
For on-track times, you should wear earplugs. You will lose very little feedback and gain much sanity.

As far as sound at Laguna, do you make it with your current setup? 92db can be tough in just about anything once you open up the exhaust substnatially.

Steve
From what I understand stock is the only thing that passes the noise limitation there. I KNOW the Larini I have wont cut it - it's much, much louder than stock.

Sounds like Tubulars all drone from Carl's comments. So it's down to:

Larini 8" (quiet and heavy)
Von Hep - lightest (someone describe hwy sound please)
Larini 6" - heavier than Von Hep but better looking (even though they all seem to look like old BBQ's after a couple track days). - Does anyone have one yet? Any feedback Shinoo?

Last edited by R'elise Me; 06-19-2008 at 09:00 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
Switchblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by R'elise Me View Post
...I suppose it's the best choice for me but I'm attracted to the lighter weight models for obvious reasons and I'm wondering if they are just too loud...
Developing a nice exhaust is a serious challenge on our cars. We worked with several mfgs. You get to choose only one of the following:
1. Light
2. Quiet
3. Cheap

Luckily you have an Elise. The Exige is far boomier...
Old 06-19-2008, 09:00 PM   #15 (permalink)

Glen,

Have you tried Etymonics "EtyPlugs" earplugs? I have used them at BW when on-track in my Exige and at the Long Beach GP as a spectator. They are comfortable, reasonably priced, and work well.

Etymotic Research, Inc. - ER•20 High Fidelity Earplugs
Old 06-19-2008, 09:06 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinoo View Post
Developing a nice exhaust is a serious challenge on our cars. We worked with several mfgs. You get to choose only one of the following:
1. Light
2. Quiet
3. Cheap

Luckily you have an Elise. The Exige is far boomier...
When you say cheap do you mean monetarily or qualitatively? The Von Hep is both light and cheap monetarily and I like the fact that you can repack it (if that is in fact as easy as Jeff claims). If you think it's bunk quality then I'll forget about it. The 8" Larini looks a bit oversized in the exhaust bay and I don't want the car to look to geriatric. The 6" sounds perfect, but how much louder is it than the 8" Larini and the one that I have?

Old 06-19-2008, 09:09 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotusmotion View Post
Glen,

Have you tried Etymonics "EtyPlugs" earplugs? I have used them at BW when on-track in my Exige and at the Long Beach GP as a spectator. They are comfortable, reasonably priced, and work well.

Etymotic Research, Inc. - ER•20 High Fidelity Earplugs
I have another brand of the same concept made for musicians. Cost twice as much . THese may work in the children's size when my ears swell up.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:57 PM   #18 (permalink)
Switchblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by R'elise Me View Post
...I like the fact that you can repack it...The 8" Larini looks a bit oversized in the exhaust bay and I don't want the car to look to geriatric. The 6" sounds perfect, but how much louder is it than the 8" Larini and the one that I have?
Why is repacking your mufffler something to like? This definately adds to the lifetime cost which is why I would not consider it a cheap solution. I believe we were one of the first to test the VonHep. It sounded good to me but it is not a quiet solution.

The Larini 6" will be much closer in sound to your current muffler. I still think you should go with the 8" if you really want a drone free system.

Honestly Glen you need to decide what characteristic is most important to you. Pick one. You can not get it all....trust me.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:40 PM   #19 (permalink)

Shinoo - thanks for the feedback. I think the 8" sounds like the way to go. Can you post a photo of your car's gorgeous, nude ars here for all to enjoy. It's getting late and my wife is already in bed. If I get a rise, I'll have to take one along with the cool diffuser holder thingy.

Whenever I see a sexy machine's exposed parts it reminds me of one of my many degenerate Italian friends who dropped his trou's and attempted to hump a Ducatti Monster at a party in Florence many years ago. It was a humerous but truthful expression of our latent mechosexuality. We all chuckled with envy - he got the hottest f**k at the party that night it turned out (after all, we were surrounded by Italian girls).

Old 06-23-2008, 07:42 AM   #20 (permalink)

Shinoo's posting about exhaust failures got me thinking...

The naked look has a distinctive appearance, but it may offer other functional advantage aside from added ventilation...especially for track rats.

You can visually inspect the cat for signs of cracking and exhaust connections for looseness without dropping the diffuser. Also, you can easily direct a fire extinguisher's spray into the exhaust area...should the need arise.

These could be significant advantages when at the track.

Any thoughts?
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Track and Technique