The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Track Spin compilation

15K views 53 replies 23 participants last post by  EricH 
#1 ·
I spun twice at Pocono Friday.

added those two to my lime rock one a while back

needless to say, I need to work on my wet driving.

First one the second came kicked in mid corner to throw me out
Second I got light over a small crest and lifted too much which turned me around
Third was literally minutes after the second and I was just mentally out of it and really should have taken the rest of the session off

#5 ·
Good job keeping it on the pavement! :clap:

Driving in the wet is a very good teaching tool for driving at the limit but it does get old quickly when you are not able to catch it quick enough to keep from spinning.

#6 ·
Continental ExtremeContact DWS with half tread depth left. All tires still show the S tire wear indicator.

I was able to catch the first one of the day that is not on this video, but yea, getting a little weary.

#7 ·
Fun video above! Especially because no damage! I love watching track / spin videos.

Since this is a spin-centric thread, I wanted to post up some of my favorites.

In my opinion this next video is exciting but more so because it is humorous than adrenalin pumping.

Although it appears that the video is playing in fast forward the driver is performing ultra-fast wheel work! I am convinced it actually contributed to the almost spin vs preventing it. No one was hurt, it was a learning experience for him, and I thought it was entertaining to watch so here you go! Video was taken at Texas World Speedway (TWS).

#8 ·
I thought it would be fun to consolidate all the video of all the spins my wife and I have witnessed or been a part of with my Exige-S. In almost 20k miles of track driving we have spun a few times while learning to drive. In Texas we have a luxury of no walls at most of our tracks so "playing" is usually fun to do on an empty track. No traction control and no stability control and mid-engine means a spin might happen how and then. ;)

There are some real pearls in here...

#10 ·
#11 · (Edited)
#17 ·
Taken from another thread - http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f231/interesting-359697/ , posted by NICKSHU

"These cars are twitchy at the limit for sure and I am still learning.

I have experienced the lift/spin on the track twice, on two different tracks, one time on each track. I had the exact same thing happen as noted above. Both times were the kind of corner where you brake lightly and carry speed (like an chicane type turn) thru the turn. Both had a small hill crest just before the chicane. I came in hot and tried not to brake much. Then I realized I was going a little too fast so I lifted off the throttle as I entered the turn....and spin, spin, spin off I went.

Here's a video of one of them. You can see my mistake in the video here, this time exiting the chicane over a crest and braking for a big turn, here I lifted too early before the car was straight."

#21 ·
The second reason. He came through too hot. Dropped wheels. Stirred up a dust cloud, all before I arrived. The odd bit is the high cement barrier and low Lotus position means I had no warning of the dust until I crested at full throttle. Made the mistake of lifting which unsettled the Exige...but had I stayed in the throttle, I would have been much closer to him as he was barely off the track out line.

I did my own tank-slapper coming through 12 after going hot through the 10-11-12 combo at Palmer. Didn't get video though.

#23 ·
Ouch! That one hurt.

#30 ·
My contribution: a spin at VIR after unloading the suspension on a small crest. I shoulda deferred passing the BMW...
I remember being taught pretty early on at VIR that you cannot brake in the uphill esses. When you're too hot, and I've certainly been there, you can tip out of throttle and hang on to your drift, but touching the brake is almost a guaranteed spin.

I've gone off 1, 3, 14, 17... and the back straight lol. But never 8,9,10, that's a scary place to have it let go for sure.