The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Track vs AutoX Suspension Settings

4K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  BlkGT3 
#1 ·
For those of you who both autox and track your cars with adjustable suspension, do you have different settings for each type of event?

Background, I recently picked up a set of Penske DAs for my 05. Finally got them dialed in just right for autox. HPDEs are a once or twice a year treat for me. My first day out at the HPDE with the Penskes felt off. I actually had an easier time on the stock bils which led me to wonder if I needed to soften up the suspension for the track vs autox.

Any thoughts? I know guess and check works, but I get so few track days, I'd like your inputs.

Details: BWR bar set to medium, Penske DAs with track springs, RE-71Rs.

#2 ·
First thought is that with Penske shocks, i'd email Fred.

I don't know much about shocks. I do know that if I was to go to a big track with my car, I would dial in more front bar. My car feels great autocrossing with the bar on soft. Two notches up, so you are probably already where I would go with the bar.

Specifically, what is the car doing that you don't like?

#3 ·
I'm not sure, it just felt like the car wanted to rotate more than before. Tires were good, and I know the car can stick, but it felt set up wrong for the track. I wasn't sure if settings would be similar for AutoX to track or if I should be adjusting between the two. I'll give Fred a shot.

#5 ·
Where are you experiencing oversteer? Entrance, mid corner, corner exit?

Do you have any video showing your steering inputs?

How much track experience do you have?

At lower speeds (auto-x), sharp steering inputs don't always cause the chassis to become unsettled. Now, bring those sharp inputs onto the track and you could have a car that seems to handle very different at higher speeds. I don't know you or your experience. I'm not trying to offend... but I have seen some auto-xers struggle on track due to a lack of smoothness that they normally get away with at auto-x events.

#6 ·
No offense taken at all, and a great point. I'm just starting out on track. I've been autoxing for years. The issue was that I did about 3-4 track days with just the bar and the stock bilsteins before I put on the Penskes. I actually felt like the car was more composed and was easier to push; however it might have just been my imagination.

I'm the first to admit that my steering inputs are not smooth at all, I have video from before the Penskes, but nothing since.

I think the real question I was trying to get at was if I should be going stiffer or softer for track days. I was noticing a lot of the issues mid corner, the confidence just wasn't there to maintain the turns. I was assuming since I felt better with the bils that it was softer, but now I'm thinking that I should experiment with firmer.

#7 ·
When you had stock Bilsteins, how did the car behave during auto-x events? Did it have more understeer at any point during the turn than your Penske setup currently has? If yes, that could explain why you are seeing a difference on track.

In my experience, cars that are setup well for auto-x perform quite well on track. I have an STR S2000 that I have done numerous track events with over the years. I have to be _very_ gentle with steering inputs while tracking at higher speeds. At auto-x events, it looks like chaos from inside and smooth from outside.

So, I don't think there is necessarily anything that says a track car should be stiffer/softer than an auto-x car. It's very track, car and driver dependent. Being mid-engined, the Elige chassis is sensitive to throttle lifts. I would recommend focusing on your inputs next time you are at the track. If you find yourself sawing at the wheel and lifting off the throttle dramatically, that could be playing into the oversteer you are currently seeing.

If you are getting oversteer on corner entrance, try increasing the front compression. For my driving style and setup, increasing rear rebound helps keep the rear in check. For some other drivers/cars, it seems to have the opposite effect. Get to know your driving style and chassis.

If your oversteer occurs only at mid corner, try stiffening the front bar.

If you are getting oversteer at corner exit, try softening front rebound or softening rear compression.

Don't be afraid to turn knobs... and make meaningful adjustments that you can feel. Turning your rebound 1 click out of 40 won't be noticeable. Try making 6 click adjustments at a time in rebound and 3 or 4 at a time in compression. This will cause noticeable changes and let you know if you are turning the knob in the right direction. Also, try not to make more than one change at a time. They could trump each other for a net zero effect.

There are also alignment changes, rear toe in to reduce oversteer, etc. The list can go on for miles...

All of the above is just my 2 cents. Take it with a grain of salt.

#8 ·
Phil - Spot on about the corner radius difference and front bar.
Jake - Spot on as well. As you say a many different variables. We do alot to help the car rotate in AutoX that is not helpful on the big track.

Generally, I have found it helpful to stiffen the front bar and dial out the toe-out on the front from autox to track.

The good news is that that knobs are there!

#9 ·
IMHO experience you want an Autox setup to be loose to rotate well, 6GT3 in SS. When tracking I tighten the car up by softening the rear bar 1 hole or if rear is not adj then tighten the front bar. Shock settings would be less compression in the rear but remember shocks only work in transitions not steady state.

Peter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.