where is the closest track from San Diego, CA? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2007, 10:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

where is the closest track from San Diego, CA?

is it cal motor speedway in fontana? as much as i like tracking or HPDE, driving 500 miles roundtrip (that's without the actual track event which is another 100 miles) in a day to willow spring is no fun. and no, i can't stay overnight there since it's so boring there, i don't know what to do after track day.

just curious...

thanks.
gameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2007, 08:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

Cal Speedway is closest for now. Someone's building a track evidently in Riverside, but it'll be awhile if it happens.

Cal Speedway is great, so is Willow. You can stay at a hotel for cheap 20min from Willow and have a great couple of days driving if it's a two-day event. Yep, I'd say driving up and back for a one-day is a bit much from here.
Super D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameson
and no, i can't stay overnight there since it's so boring there, i don't know what to do after track day.

You stay overnight the day before. So drive up as late as you want. I like to get to the hotel in Lancaster (for Willow) or the hotel at Buttonwillow around 9:00pm. Get up the next morning and grab some breakfast, gas up, and hit the track. You can then leave anytime, often I will not stay the entire day, and head back to San Diego and be home before 8:00pm.

Otherwise I recommend karting and kart tracks. There are a lot of them. Or autocrossing. We are autocrossing today through Sunday at El Toro near Irvine. (SCCA ProSolo). Last weeks track at San Diego was pretty typical and is like a road course, over 1 mile long.
Randy Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 08:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super D
Cal Speedway is closest for now. Someone's building a track evidently in Riverside, but it'll be awhile if it happens.

Cal Speedway is great, so is Willow. You can stay at a hotel for cheap 20min from Willow and have a great couple of days driving if it's a two-day event. Yep, I'd say driving up and back for a one-day is a bit much from here.
I think you're thinking of the "Riverside Raceway" that's being built, which is way up in Central Cal, nowhere near Riverside...There is a "track" close to San Diego, but it's really just an old airport people use for a track. I haven't driven it, but it's supposed to be incredibly bumpy. It's called Holtville, and any illusions you might have about it being like Sebring in any way (they are/were both airports) is just that, an illusion. They're both bumpy and concrete, but that's all they have in common.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxen
I think you're thinking of the "Riverside Raceway" that's being built, which is way up in Central Cal, ........
It's near Merced to be exact.
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 04:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxen
I think you're thinking of the "Riverside Raceway" that's being built, which is way up in Central Cal, nowhere near Riverside...There is a "track" close to San Diego, but it's really just an old airport people use for a track. I haven't driven it, but it's supposed to be incredibly bumpy. It's called Holtville, and any illusions you might have about it being like Sebring in any way (they are/were both airports) is just that, an illusion. They're both bumpy and concrete, but that's all they have in common.
Holtville is great! I did a TT there in '97. If you like old airfields with huge cracks and dust storms in the middle of nowhere, it's heaven!

Bummer, didn't know the Riverside facility isn't going to be near Riverside.

We need a nice road course in SoCal that's closer to SD.
Super D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 04:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Holtville is pretty much gone now.
Randy Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Track and Technique