The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Where do you mount phone for Harry's Lap Timer?

16K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  ZeRoSL 
#1 ·
Hi. Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere. I did a search and couldn't find any helpful info. It's been about 7 years since I did any data logging (I was on a very long track day hiatus). My DL1 doesn't work anymore, and now Harry's Lap Timer and RaceChrono look like strong "close enough" solutions for what I need. I just need some advice on the set-up, though:

1) Where do people mount their phones, and how? During one of my first track days back after the hiatus, I had a suction-cup mount for GoPro right below the rear-view mirror (that is, inside the car, stuck to the windshield). I found it distracting, and it blocked my field of view during right-turn corners. A phone will probably be bigger, so I'm confused about the mounting location.

2) I have never used these apps before, so I'd like some advice on whether the phone running Harry's Lap Timer can go anywhere in the car, and still provide useful data. My current spot for the GoPro is right on the flat deck of the dashboard (I use the adhesive mount). If I used the GoPro for video, and the phone/app for data acquisition, can I basically mount the phone anywhere as long as it has line-of-site with GPS satellites?

3) For that matter, does anyone use external GPS for more accurate data? How exactly does it connect to the phone -- Bluetooth?

4) And, finally, is anyone using either Harry's or RaceChrono to trigger/control GoPro? Any advice? Is the set-up self-evident once you begin using the app?

For what it's worth, not sure which phone I'll be using for this. It will probably be Android. I have a bunch of phones (review units) sitting around, and will probably use the Galaxy S6 Edge unless popular opinion says that's not a good idea.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

See less See more
#5 ·
Bottom right corner of the windshield works for me most of that area is blocked by the fender anyway. Plus you can glance over and see the time on the straights.

You can see the suction mount in this pic: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rnair/26265221556/
Sample Race Chrono vid from a Nexus 5X
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMXm-rSeRRE
Rahul: With the phone mounted that far to the left, how do you get the video image so well centered? It looks like the phone/camera is almost in the middle of the dash. Also, which app are you using? Thanks much.

#4 ·
I will take a picture tonight, but I mounted my phone on a speaker delete plate, driver’s side. It is low enough to be out of the way and I bolted it to the plate, don’t have to worry about the suction cup not holding. I’m using Harry’s Lap Timer and syncing to GoPro video after. I have not moved to using external GPS sensors but I’m guessing once I need that I will need better data than this setup provides. I have not tried using the phone to start the GoPro, might have to play with that some.

#6 ·
I use Harry's on my S6, with the Hero3 (wireless) and Qstarz BT-Q818XT (Bluetooth). First using it was last weekend and messed it all up due to user error. Otherwise it seemed to work great aside from my moment of stupidity.

You have to be mindful which GoPro you get. Harry's can only remotely control a few of the GoPros (Hero3/3+ silver and Hero4 silver).
My phone is suction cup mounted to the dash right between the center air vents with an . I keep it in landscape mode and have it down low covering the top portion of the vents. Not sure if that will be my long term location or not, still experimenting.

I highly recommend the external GPS units. The one in your phone (1hz) is complete garbage for track or autoX data logging IMO. It all depends on your expectations and what you're doing with the GPS data.

#15 ·
Same here. And use phone to check and control the separate camera (such as gopro) as well as Harrys Timer

#9 ·
More than anything, mounting location tips would be helpful. As in: People who use the phone to record video, where and how do you mount? (Though even that may be moot: I already have a compatible GoPro, and I'll get an external GPS. So I imagine in this scenario, I could have the phone mounted anywhere I like.)

#10 ·
I put mine on the passenger's side of the wind shield. However, since you are using external video and GPS, it makes no difference where you put it. You could tape it in the glove tray. You could put it in your pocket. Its a power hog, you will want to plug it in.

Get a bluetooth ODB2 adapter and Harry's will record that data also.

#11 ·
Yeah, I was wondering about OBDII -- what data does it actually pull? Also, does the app give you a variety of visual themes/designs for the gauges?

As for power, I can't get anything to actually stay in the 12V port anymore. But it looks like I'll be using a Samsung GS6 for this, and at least that has quick-charging. Also, it looks like the imminent version 20 of Harry's will allow the user to turn off local (phone) video recording. I would imagine this will help save power as well.

#14 ·
Thanks for the pics! But I think I want to keep the speaker. :)

#18 ·
I use the ram mount on my dash but I also have a mount for the harness bar. Can't remember where I got the mount from but it usually works fairly well. I prefer this view rather than the dash view. Wind noise is louder here and it takes a little patience to set up, but it works with the phones internal GPS in this location.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.