Bleeding coolant system - Need advise
I unsuccessfully refilled my coolant system today after replacing the radiator. Need some help with what I'm doing wrong.
First I drained both front coolant pipes (Left and right), drained the block, and flushed the reservoir with distilled water.
1. Opened front and rear bleeders
2. slowly poured 1.5 gallons of fluid into the reservoir
3. fluid came out of front bleeder, closed it
4. started engine, let idle to 180, fans came on. let it climb to 209.
5. front coolant pipes never got warm, neither did Radiator. Coolant level in the reservoir raised and flowed out the overflow tube.
6. I squeezed the front driver side radiator hose (a lot), the one w/o the bleeder, and it didn't feel pressurized. I could hear air and fluid sloshing around in the Radiator.
7. If I opened the front bleeder fluid just pours out, no air.
** I left the reservoir cap off the entire time.
It doesn't seem like the coolant is circulating.
Am I doing this right? Shouldn't the front coolant tubes and radiator get warm right away once fluid is flowing? The water in the reservoir was 119 and steaming.
BTW: I have the Radium expansion tank
, not the OEM one if that matters.
2006 Lotus Exige: Avery Matte Graphite wrap, partial built motor (9:1 Mahle pistons, Ferrea Competition valves, ACT Clutch, ARP head studs), REV300(ish) TVS, Nitron SAs, BOE QS exhaust, Ultradisc rotors, Moroso Oil pan, Circuitworks oil pump, CF Stuff (Cup Roof, ReVerie diffusor, side scoops, APR air dam, craftsquare mirrors), Worksbell quick release, Odyssey PC625, Morimoto Xenon HID
Last edited by mwehnes; 03-19-2017 at 07:39 PM.