Building a mechanics tool box - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 12:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

Red face Building a mechanics tool box

I have decided for 2013 to lower my Lotus's cost of ownership and start doing some of my own basic labor. I also recently added a Miata to the family for my GF that needed a bunch of little stuff done it. (Although I am looking forward to playing with it as well).

What do you guys who wrench consider essential?

I have a nice two ton low profile speed jack, jack stands ext.... Some basic tools but looking to build out a new box just for the cars.

Metric sockets, a few deep sockets, metric allen head set. Various long and short screw drivers, viceclips, adjustable crescent wrenches etc...

What else do you guys recommend? Any clever set of wrenches worth more than a good set of conventional?

For breaker bar, sockets and my torque wrench should I be going all 1/4" , 3/8" drive or should I be using 1/2?

A little help in the right direction so I don't have to make repurchases would be great.

I was thinking about something like this:
Product Page

Sku:934118 if it does not load.

But feel there is probably a lot of stuff in that kit I don't need.

Thanks
nextdoorlotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 01:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
German Reimport

Start here and then just click thru the linked threads

Essential tools for self maintenance
Old 01-13-2013, 02:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

When I bought my Elise nearly 5 years ago I put some tools together and have built from there. I would recommend a socket set 1/4 3/8 inch drive combination (Supatool has been totally reliable). And a set of ratch ring spanners (Kincrome). All metric.
2006 111R Elise,Rev 400 ,BOE CAB intake, BOE surge tank, Mahle 10.5 pistons, Crower Maxilight rods, Ferrea Valves & springs, Circuitworx oil pump gear,PPE headers and decat ,HIDs,SSC Harness bar,Nitron,Shaved V2 steering arms Freno full carbon brakes,FF engine damper. Saikou Michi catch cans, NGK wideband. Modded Toyota E153 gearbox ,60l Proalloy fuel tank ,Exedy clutch LSD , Fastworks ECU, CompositeWorx SP1 seats ,Varex muffler, BOE marque mirrors, Aussie-clamhinge.
RichardNHCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Such moderate

I have WAYYY too many tools. But I guess that comes with being a tech in the past. Honestly, there really isn't all that much needed to take apart a lotus.
doge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elise Guru

You can get away without 1/2 except for wheel hubs and lower ball joints. I find that deep-offsets can come in handy in a few places as well as shorty box wrenches.

A good set of Allen sockets short and long is handy as well as gear wrench ratcheting box wrenches.

Lotus Performance Parts and Accessories

Blackwatch Racing
fzust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:45 AM   #6 (permalink)

Honestly Id start with a little bigger base set. If you don't have much in the way of tools it is convient and cost effective to buy "big" sets espescially when they go on sale at sears.

I have the set you list as my portable set to throw in the car. It isnt too bad, but of course you need a set of pliers, screw drivers, hex bits, wire cutters, vice grips, etc. THe list goes on and on but you can buy that stuff as needed.

My only advice is to look for sales, buy decent tools, and always buy the extended sets even if you only need one tool.
Also:
84 930 turbo, 06 WRX Wagon
aschen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Such moderate

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschen View Post
Honestly Id start with a little bigger base set. If you don't have much in the way of tools it is convient and cost effective to buy "big" sets espescially when they go on sale at sears.
Good advice.
doge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Maintenance and Repairs.