Fix-a-Flat Shelf Life is 5 years - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2006, 10:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Probably Lurking

Fix-a-Flat Shelf Life is 5 years

I believe this subject has come up before but I can't find it.

From Fix-a-Flat:

Quote:
Dear Shawn,

The Fix-A-Flat product has a shelf life of 5 years. When using the product it is recommended that the entire contents of the can
be dispensed into the tire to ensure proper sealing of the leak.

Sincerely,
Product Technical Service</tt></tt></pre>
Although they didn't explicitly say that 5 years was the shelf life if kept in the trunk, they were aware that I keep the can there.
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2010, 06:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Probably Lurking

Bump. That can of flat repair in the boot has expired for many owners.

Anyone use it after the 5 year mark?
Old 07-23-2010, 06:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

I know someone that used it after 3 years and it only partially inflated the tire.

That is why I carry a compressor in my trunk too.
xxxotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have a can of fix-a-flat (the actual fix-a-flat brand) that I bought in 1990 that I still haven't used...
RoadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

This '05 Elise owner thanks you for the heads up! On the plus, side I've made it 5 years without a flat (of course, in that time, I've gone through 3 sets of tires )

Tom
milehitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:31 AM   #6 (permalink)

I carry a new can of Fix-a-flat (larger can), a small jack with small tire iron (check to make sure it fits the "Special
Socket for the Bolts), a med. size 12 volt air compressor I got at Sam's Club. and a tire repair kit, (the kind that you push the rope like material into the hole with the glue etc.).. and probably the most important a 'Cell Phone" to call for assistance ..
2008 Nissan Xterra
chazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Get a small compressor and a Patchboy kit. You can do a permanent fix on the road in 15 minutes. I did one on a Camry 1 month ago never took the rear wheel off. Do not forget some needle nose pliers and latex gloves for your kit.
Janeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxotic View Post
I know someone that used it after 3 years and it only partially inflated the tire.

That is why I carry a compressor in my trunk too.
Even a new can of the type that comes with the car will only partially inflate the tire. That's why some people carry additional cans and/or a small compressor.

Others carry a AAA card...

I love being married. It's so great to find that one person that you want to annoy for the rest of your life. - Rita Rudner

Chantilly, VA http://members.cox.net/elans4/
05 Lotus Elise - Chrome Orange - No Touring - No LSS - No Hardtop - Lotus Driving Lights - Lotus "Chin Guards" - plain and simple.
94 Miata R Package - Black
72 Lotus Elan Sprint - Colorado Orange/Cirrus White
TimMullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Fix a flat and those rope style patch kits effectively ruin the tire, more so the fixaflat. It seals the flat to some degree by attacking and swelling the rubber, so the rubber blocks the hole. It softens the rubber in the whole tire, not just by the hole. Once its in there, the damage is done, taking it out won't help.

Rope style when you jam that metal thing in and out of the hole you are damaging the steel belts, that speaks for itself.

These types of tire repair are fine for everyday use, but high performance use would be, in my eyes, questionable.

Best idea to keep the tire useful is to have the tire taken off the rim and patched from the inside so there is no damage to the belts or the rubber. then there is no softening of the rubber and the steel belts stay intact.

gm
Old 08-27-2010, 12:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
U.S. Cobra Distributer

Others, carry a spare tire
Michael
SirLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
Probably Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by glacialmoraine View Post
Fix a flat [ . . . ] effectively ruin the tire, more so the fixaflat. It seals the flat to some degree by attacking and swelling the rubber, so the rubber blocks the hole. It softens the rubber in the whole tire, not just by the hole. Once its in there, the damage is done, taking it out won't help.
Can you provide a reference for that claim? My understanding is that Fix-a-Flat brand does not damage the tire, is water soluble, and easily removed. But, it would be good to know for sure if that isn't true.

Quote:
These types of tire repair are fine for everyday use, but high performance use would be, in my eyes, questionable.
I wouldn't use any repaired tire repair for high performance use. Most event coordinators I know won't allow them either. Otherwise, I have never found any data that proved patching a tire after a fix-a-flat or plug repair is really an issue.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:01 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Can you provide a reference for that claim? My understanding is that Fix-a-Flat brand does not damage the tire, is water soluble, and easily removed. But, it would be good to know for sure if that isn't true.
You may be right, the only reference I found to the rubber swelling was about an older product. Apparently times have changed.

So, I would use fixaflat, have it removed and have the tire patched internally. I'd feel safe at speed with a tire patched from the inside, given there was no damage to the steel belts. Usually I would expect there would be damage.

sorry for the misinformation,

gm
Old 08-28-2010, 02:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
Probably Lurking

Quote:
I'd feel safe at speed with a tire patched from the inside, given there was no damage to the steel belts. Usually I would expect there would be damage.
I agree, but want to add that I always make sure that a patch/plug combo is used. I don't know if that's redundant but I believe some places just patch.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:32 PM   #14 (permalink)
Back to the Future, again

When I went to the store to get the fix a flat, the worker there told me to be careful and only use as a last resort because when the goo dries inside, it becomes a solid mass that you have to chip off the rim when time comes to replace the tire.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:40 PM   #15 (permalink)

the fix a flat sucks, i have a plug kit but reminds me i need a quick inflator like Co2 or something small for after the plug.
rijowysock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:45 PM   #16 (permalink)
anglophile in exile

Quote:
<snip>.. those rope style patch kits effectively ruin the tire, <snip>..

Rope style when you jam that metal thing in and out of the hole you are damaging the steel belts, that speaks for itself.
<snip>..
Best idea to keep the tire useful is to have the tire taken off the rim and patched from the inside so there is no damage to the belts or the rubber. then there is no softening of the rubber and the steel belts stay intact.

gm
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijowysock View Post
the fix a flat sucks, i have a plug kit but reminds me i need a quick inflator like Co2 or something small for after the plug.
Seriously plug kits are not suitable for a Lotus. You might use them on a trailer to get you out of trouble but as described by GM above they are no good for the tyre, and even if they work can't sustain any high performance use at all so are a "get you home" solution only. Get the best roadside tool kit available for repairing tyres... a mobile phone!

PS: must look at the fix-a-flat in my car... it is original and therefore nearly 9 years old!
Aedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Maintenance and Repairs.