I need advise 3.5mm left on brake pads should I change? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2006, 07:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

I need advise 3.5mm left on brake pads should I change?

My car has about 3.5mm of pad left on the fronts and 3mm pad on the rear. I autoXed it a few times and do alot of mountain driving. Car has 7500 miles on it.

I plan on Going to the tail of the dragon in 2 weeks which is 400 miles away from me (800 mile round trip) and driving it for 3 days. Those of you that are not familiar with the dragon its basically a road that is 11 miles long and 318 turns...very windy.

Should I change my pads or will they last?
Grip Factory is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2006, 07:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

Your pads started with about 9mm on the front. And either 6.5 or 9mm on the rear, depending on who you believe.
FlyLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 07:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyLo
Your pads started with about 9mm on the front. And either 6.5 or 9mm on the rear, depending on who you believe.
hmm so Im assumning then thats a yes. Does anybody know for sure?
Old 05-08-2006, 08:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

I wouldn't use them for a track weekend, but for autocross or street driving (even mountain streets) they're fine in my opinion. When they get down to about 1mm is the time to change. At your current rate, a quick calculation shows you have about 3400 miles to go to use up the remaining 2.5mm on the fronts.
Elistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 08:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elistan
I wouldn't use them for a track weekend, but for autocross or street driving (even mountain streets) they're fine in my opinion. When they get down to about 1mm is the time to change. At your current rate, a quick calculation shows you have about 3400 miles to go to use up the remaining 2.5mm on the fronts.

1mm?

I would change fronts now, maybe rears. Keep in mind as there is less pad material there is more heat transfer through to the caliper and fluid. Also the extra heat will burn the remaining material off faster. There is also a greater tendency for uneven wear the less material you have so you could end up wearing right to the backing plate in one area and still have plenty left in another.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:16 AM   #6 (permalink)

Sorry, missed the Dragon reference. Either change them now, or bring a spare set of pads. Be sure to check the inside pads, as these sometimes wear more quickly.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

Change them....
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 08:35 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack
Change them....
yeah thats what Im gonna do..better safe then sorry and I really dont feel like changing pads when I am up there....Just wanna drive
Old 05-08-2006, 09:58 AM   #9 (permalink)

What's the minimum pad thickness for the rear? I know the answer to this may change depending on what kind of driving you are going to do in the short term. My fronts look okay, but the rears look a bit low.

Guess I'll have to measure this weekend.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:38 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage
What's the minimum pad thickness for the rear?
From the service manual:
Attached Images

I love being married. It's so great to find that one person that you want to annoy for the rest of your life. - Rita Rudner

Chantilly, VA http://members.cox.net/elans4/
05 Lotus Elise - Chrome Orange - No Touring - No LSS - No Hardtop - Lotus Driving Lights - Lotus "Chin Guards" - plain and simple.
94 Miata R Package - Black
72 Lotus Elan Sprint - Colorado Orange/Cirrus White
TimMullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 10:00 PM   #11 (permalink)

Any brake pad manufacturer will tell you to change pads when they reach around 2.5mm remaining friction material.

Most conveniently most have made the groove in the pads just deep enough, so when they are worn smooth then it's time to change..

At around 2.5mm friction material thickness you start running into different problems when they are then still used.

Very thin material means much more heat transfer to the backing plate and into the calipher, boiling the brake fluid and possibly even damaging the rubber seals on the pistons.

Also the pad material is fixated on the back plate by different means. Once the friction material gets very thin this bond may break causing pieces of material to flake off.

Some pads (AFAIK Pagid RS14's for instance) also use brass rivets embedded in the friction material to provide extra support to the bond between the backing plate and the friction material. Once you drop below 2.5mm these will get exposed and rub on the brake discs. Although the brass is softer than the brake disc steel it usually does not give a problem, but sometimes they do score the discs.

And then there's also the composition of the pad material itself. The base of the friction material is usually made of a somewhat different composition, so when you get below around 3mm pad material you'll notice that the brake pedal feels much more 'wooden' and the pads lose their bite. They will still slow down the car, but it's obvious that they no longer work like they did when new.

Bye, Arno.
Arno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 05:41 AM   #12 (permalink)

There's that 6.5 number again. Has anyone managed to squeeze 9mm pads on the rear?
Old 05-09-2006, 06:12 AM   #13 (permalink)

I just got off the phone with the dealer. I had him measure the thickness of a stock brembo rear pad and he said just over 6mm of material. He also said 254.00 for the rears, which seems awfully high to me.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:30 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arno
Any brake pad manufacturer will tell you to change pads when they reach around 2.5mm remaining friction material.

Most conveniently most have made the groove in the pads just deep enough, so when they are worn smooth then it's time to change..

At around 2.5mm friction material thickness you start running into different problems when they are then still used.

Very thin material means much more heat transfer to the backing plate and into the calipher, boiling the brake fluid and possibly even damaging the rubber seals on the pistons.

Also the pad material is fixated on the back plate by different means. Once the friction material gets very thin this bond may break causing pieces of material to flake off.

Some pads (AFAIK Pagid RS14's for instance) also use brass rivets embedded in the friction material to provide extra support to the bond between the backing plate and the friction material. Once you drop below 2.5mm these will get exposed and rub on the brake discs. Although the brass is softer than the brake disc steel it usually does not give a problem, but sometimes they do score the discs.

And then there's also the composition of the pad material itself. The base of the friction material is usually made of a somewhat different composition, so when you get below around 3mm pad material you'll notice that the brake pedal feels much more 'wooden' and the pads lose their bite. They will still slow down the car, but it's obvious that they no longer work like they did when new.

Bye, Arno.
great explanation thanks!
Old 05-09-2006, 07:15 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 008
1mm?

I would change fronts now, maybe rears. Keep in mind as there is less pad material there is more heat transfer through to the caliper and fluid. Also the extra heat will burn the remaining material off faster. There is also a greater tendency for uneven wear the less material you have so you could end up wearing right to the backing plate in one area and still have plenty left in another.
2.5mm according to the service manual.
Elistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:20 AM   #16 (permalink)

Thanks guys. I actually didn't even consider looking in the svc manual
wdonovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:33 AM   #17 (permalink)

Change them because you really dont want brake failure on the Dragon in certain corners but you really wont use your brakes that much on the Dragon. Yes, there are 313 curves but the Dragon is a rhythm piece of pavement where you never really get up that much speed for corner entry. Plus you may get caught behind the multiple pace cars and motorcycles(the H-D crowd will NOT pull over for anyone) and never really use the brakes hard at all.
Enjoy it and let me know when you will be there. I am 45 minutes away and spend a lot of attitude-adjustment time on the Dragon.
Wayne Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:49 AM   #18 (permalink)

Since you do autoXed, 3.5mm is too low.
Harix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:33 AM   #19 (permalink)

Sweet jesus this thread is over five years old. Most likely the OP change pads by now. :-)
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Maintenance and Repairs.