Irish Spring = Mouse Repellant?? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2006, 07:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Irish Spring = Mouse Repellant??

I was discussing putting the Elise away in the garage for the winter the other day with a guy who has a Z. He was telling me a horror story about mice nesting in his car and the foul smell that resulted when the AC was turned on.... So he said he heard you can prevent mice from getting into the car by putting a bar of Irish Spring soap on top of each wheel while it's parked in the garage. Has anyone else heard of this? Is it possible mice don't appreciate the manly fresh scent of Irish Spring?
e-Lise is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2006, 07:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Shave some from a bar with a potato peeler and distribute where needed.

Lambda_drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 10:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
BANNED

All I know is the rancid smell of death from a mouse is hell. My friend was driving his old Bimmer 2002 to work after winter storage and just looking in it would about make you hurl.

But it may work. My cousin is a landscaper and shaves deodorant soap into plants and flowers and it keeps the deer from eating them.
SweetDaddyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 01:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

Moth balls help also. I cleared some mice out of a shed with a liberal spreading of moth balls.

Actually, I used traps to take car of the mice. The moth balls kept other mice from coming into the shed after that...

I love being married. It's so great to find that one person that you want to annoy for the rest of your life. - Rita Rudner

Chantilly, VA http://members.cox.net/elans4/
05 Lotus Elise - Chrome Orange - No Touring - No LSS - No Hardtop - Lotus Driving Lights - Lotus "Chin Guards" - plain and simple.
94 Miata R Package - Black
72 Lotus Elan Sprint - Colorado Orange/Cirrus White
TimMullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 03:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

I also read that some 'bounce' sheets in your car will keep mice away, they don't like it and will keep your interior smelling oh so fresh!
'06 Ardent Red Elise - black interior with LSS, Touring, HT, Starshield, Lotus Sport Clutch, Moroso Oil Pan, Ekological HIDs, Lotus Driving Lights, Stebel Horn, Bootie, Razo '06 Pedal mod,Snorkel Delete,Odyssey 680 with s111 bracket.
WOO-HOO!
goelise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 04:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

I had this problem with my old trackcar -- put it on the lift for winter and brought it down in the early spring only to find mouse droppings on the block! Now, I've got mouse poison/traps in all the points where mice might get in. Never tried anything else, but it seems to work. Good luck!
2005 Graphite Gray with Black Interior, Sports Package, Touring Package, Hard Top, Starshield, 6-point Schroth Harness, Fire Extinguisher, and Wiring Loom for DL-1. Otherwise bone stock -- and staying that way -- okay, okay, that's true if you ignore the Braille battery, Micro mirror, Multivex mirrors, ROTA slipstreams, RA-1s, two-piece rotors, springs, polyurethane ASB bushings, RTD brace, Sparco seat, and all the stuff I've taken out of the car...

Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 08:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMullen
Moth balls help also..
I dunno if I can stand the idea of putting the Elise "in mothballs" for the winter (despite the fact that Irish Spring doesn't smell much better)!
Old 12-26-2006, 08:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

ah ha now the ball is in farnsworths court.

use cayenne red pepper and dash it around each wheel and on top of the wheel.

no mice, no dogs,no cats, no deer, nothing except some poor animal in nasal pain saying.... I AIN'T COMING BACK HERE.
consider yourself forwarned !
2005 Elise 250 whp | Forcedfed Custom Intercooled Supercharger | EFI | Forcedfed Street Header | Fujita CAI | TB Bypass | Toda flywheel | ACT HD Clutch | Forcedfed Prototype Exhaust | Micromirror | Forcedfed Half Carbon Splitter | Greddy Catch Can | ForcedFed Engine Damper
2-Y-CHROMOSOMES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 09:52 AM   #9 (permalink)

Moth balls

I use moth balls on my cars that are stored. I know it keeps away mice and squirrels.

I hate it when they chew wires and thing go dead like lights or motor etc. The moth balls work.

Lee
ladams1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 03:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ridge Man

Randy wants me to invest in a 'Racing Cologne'
he has come up with but, come to think about
it, the scent does remind me of 'dead mouse'.
I'm going to have to give this possible investment
some more thought now.
Ridgemanron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 03:38 PM   #11 (permalink)

High Tech Answer

About a month ago I found that some creature (mouse, rat, squirrel?) was making a nest in the boot beside the battery; presumably getting in through the vents. I vacuumed out the torn up paper and the next day it was back. This continued for a few days before I decided to check to see if any other Elise owners had a solution and found this thread.

I tried the Bounce sheets first. The mouse used them for its nest. I went out and bought a bar of Irish Spring soap. Can't say that the mouse bathed with it but it did use the bar to support part of its nest. I did not want to buy moth balls or poison/traps due to the potential smell/mess.

I went to my local Home Depot & bought an ultrasonic rodent repeller. It is called PestChaser made by Victor. It uses frequencies above what humans and even dogs can hear but apparently rodents can hear it. They do not like the sound and move away (I suspect it is a form of ultrasonic Hiphop).

Sure enough I put it in my garage pointing at the boot and no problem since. I bought a plug in model with two speakers, but I was surprised to see many different battery and plug in versions.
Road Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 03:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
pip

Found about 100 pieces of torn Kleenex in car...

last Oct. as the weather started to get cold. Put 9 bars of Irish Spring uner the car (3X3) and haven't had a problem since!
pip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 03:59 PM   #13 (permalink)

We used Irish Sppring to deter deer from our fruit trees last year with success, no joke. One bar per tree.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:26 PM   #14 (permalink)

Go to www.pestrepellerultimate.com Will have chose of three model's . I currently use one in the garage and one in the hanger where the lotus is stored and no problem's. More than a bar of soap, but added security!
dakotan50sw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 07:00 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EburgE
We used Irish Sppring to deter deer from our fruit trees last year with success, no joke. One bar per tree.
Eating nothing but red meat for a few days and then wizzing on the tree trunks right about the height of a coyote's cocked leg also works, no joke. Just a little gross.
RoadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 02:50 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip
last Oct. as the weather started to get cold. Put 9 bars of Irish Spring uner the car (3X3) and haven't had a problem since!
Do you eat a single Cheerio with a cup of sugar too?
(sold to a friend)
'07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (4 door!)
Excelsior-Henderson Super X
Rugbyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 03:04 PM   #17 (permalink)

So if you eat nothing but mice for a coupla days and then pee around the perimeter of the Elise will that keep the mousies away??
Old 03-12-2007, 03:32 PM   #18 (permalink)
xtn

The idea that putting anything on/around the tires only will keep vermin out is silly. The Elise/Exige is low enough that they can climb abord anywhere there si an opening.

xtn
2006 McLareghini Bugatterrari, Storm Titanium... installed: air horn, Scroth 4-point ASM harnesses, Sector111 halon extinguisher and mounting bracket, Von Hep exhaust and rear panel delete, Pagid brake pads, red Volks CE28n wheels, Toyo RA-1 tires, Nitron SA coilovers, Sector111 (WorksBell) quick-disconnect steering wheel kit. awaiting installation: Scroth "pull-up" lap belts, Sector111 RTD Brace, Tony's heater bypass mod, and dropped steering rack mounting plates.
xtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 04:38 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-Lise
So if you eat nothing but mice for a coupla days and then pee around the perimeter of the Elise will that keep the mousies away??
I'm gonna try that one
RoadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Maintenance and Repairs.