Tire Puncture Repair Spray - Success Rate - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2010, 02:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Tire Puncture Repair Spray - Success Rate

So we do not get a spare tire. We get a spray tin to repair flat tires.

I'm curious about the success rate.

Anyone tried the Lotus supplied tire repair spray?

Did it work?

Did it fail?
David Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2010, 03:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

My personal opinion... Don't use it. Massive mess and the shop changing your tire will charge you a lot after using it. I carry a tire repair kit and have more than a few times plugged my own tire on the side of the freeway. Cell phone, AAA, a tire repair kit and a portable air compressor is all you need. If you can't get AAA for some reason and are so inclined you can fix a nail hole in 15 minutes without even taking the wheel off....
pounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Not the admin anymore

Garage
Some of the people that have decided they would use the factory can say it's not enough and that you should get a second can. You always could carry a spare...check out Dan's thread-

Answer to the lack of a spare tire.
RacyTracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

Interesting about the tire repair kit and also about the spare tire.

Thinking more about this subject I wonder if most tow trucks could repair the tire instead of towing. That way you could avoid the tow along with the worry that goes along with it.

My actual flat tire experiences involve 3 flats in 400,000 km on a Corolla and 0 flats in 300,000 km on a Toyota Tercel. Of the 3 flats two were on a highway and the third was at (of all places!!) a Lion safari.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Moderator Extraordinaire!

Actually tires are very reliable these days and you rarely see one just blow out under normal use. What seems to be the most common cause of flats these days is sharp objects and debris on the road. We seem to have a lot of junk laying on the roads these days that we can't see and we inadvertanly run it over and get tread punctures. Within this scenario, the aerosol sealant cans make sense, however if you are traveling at speed and can't stop right away after a puncture, you stand the chance of shredding the tire which of course is not going to be repaired by anything other than replacement. This is why I went through all the work to figure out a spare tire for my Elise. As for a regular tow truck operator being able to repair your tire and work on your car at the side of the road, I wouldn't trust them to not damage the car and would rather just put my spare on and get myself to a safe place where I could have the tire properly replaced or repaired.
tesprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:31 AM   #6 (permalink)

In 40+ years of driving, I've had two flats while on the road - and both of them were over 20 years ago (one was a piece of metal that sliced a tire, and the other was a blowout. I've probably had 10 other flats during that time, but there were all from something like a nail in the tread that caused a slow leak over night (which would then be solved by jacking up that corner of the car, taking off the wheel, and taking it to get it repaired).

I don't think I've used (mounted) a spare tire since the blowout.

I'm not worried about a flat in my Elise, and if I get one, I'll just call for help...

I love being married. It's so great to find that one person that you want to annoy for the rest of your life. - Rita Rudner

Chantilly, VA http://members.cox.net/elans4/
05 Lotus Elise - Chrome Orange - No Touring - No LSS - No Hardtop - Lotus Driving Lights - Lotus "Chin Guards" - plain and simple.
94 Miata R Package - Black
72 Lotus Elan Sprint - Colorado Orange/Cirrus White
TimMullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:03 AM   #7 (permalink)

Luck of the Irish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMullen View Post
In 40+ years of driving, I've had two flats while on the road - and both of them were over 20 years ago (one was a piece of metal that sliced a tire, and the other was a blowout. I've probably had 10 other flats during that time, but there were all from something like a nail in the tread that caused a slow leak over night (which would then be solved by jacking up that corner of the car, taking off the wheel, and taking it to get it repaired).

I don't think I've used (mounted) a spare tire since the blowout.

I'm not worried about a flat in my Elise, and if I get one, I'll just call for help...
Tim you are indeed a lucky man----
In 34K miles on my E55,I have replaced 29 tires,Mostly to potholes. 24K miles on my Diesel Liberty,one flat.
But 40 years of driving Lotus------No Flats,except when the RF wheel flew off my Elan-the tire was lost but when I found the tire and wheel a few days later it was not flat. The car was suprisingly controllable with 3 wheels,with the exception of braking.
Having said that,I will probably have a flat a day--pray to the Tire Deity!
lwein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

Those fix a flat cans are designed to get you to a gas station, shop or home to have the tire properly inflated so you can keep on driving until you can get the tire properly fixed. they require you to add air to the proper air pressures and obviously the more air you loose or the bigger the tire the lower your air pressure will be . i have used them in the past and they do work as a temporary solution and they have even lasted as a "permanent" solution, although this may vary depending on the size, location and type of puncture , that being said i would have the tire properly repaired every time.

On a side note, I have never been charged extra at a shop for having used a repair can prior to getting it fixed.
Mad MaTTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Tire sealant issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad MaTTer View Post
Those fix a flat cans are designed to get you to a gas station, shop or home to have the tire properly inflated so you can keep on driving until you can get the tire properly fixed. they require you to add air to the proper air pressures and obviously the more air you loose or the bigger the tire the lower your air pressure will be . i have used them in the past and they do work as a temporary solution and they have even lasted as a "permanent" solution, although this may vary depending on the size, location and type of puncture , that being said i would have the tire properly repaired every time.

On a side note, I have never been charged extra at a shop for having used a repair can prior to getting it fixed.
If I remember correctly,it was a safety issue-------you should let the tire guy know if the tire had sealant in it.
lwein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

You can probably kiss your TPMS sensor for that wheel goodbye too (later models). Any idea if the fix-a-flat goop can be cleaned off a sensor so it can be re-used?
D Britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:28 PM   #11 (permalink)

The water based sealants like fixaflat are safe on sensors, there are other brands aside from fixaflat that may contain chemicals which damage the TPMS.

Some brands use propellants which may ignite if there is a spark, but as far as i know the major brands do not use propellants anymore. but i guess you should advise the mechanic before hand so hes not smoking his cigarette while fixing your tire. as a safety measure i would have him deflate the tire first.

Last edited by Mad MaTTer; 01-27-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:32 PM   #12 (permalink)

BTW, off the subject a tiny bit.

I have had two tires patched, Pirelli Pzero Rosso (285/35-18's) using the Pirelli and Michelin approved mushroom plug patch method. No problems at all! Worked great.

IIRC Michelin and Pirelli both say that a proper mushroom plug patched tire can retain it's original speed rating (including Z) if the repair was not in a critical area like the side wall. Mine were in the middle of the tread, one was between rows of blocks and one was in the middle of a block.

Tire Tech Information - Flat Tire Repairs

Wouldn't drive one on the track though.
Vulcan Grey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:34 PM   #13 (permalink)

That's WAY to freaking dangerous Fuzz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pounce View Post
My personal opinion... Don't use it. Massive mess and the shop changing your tire will charge you a lot after using it. I carry a tire repair kit and have more than a few times plugged my own tire on the side of the freeway. Cell phone, AAA, a tire repair kit and a portable air compressor is all you need. If you can't get AAA for some reason and are so inclined you can fix a nail hole in 15 minutes without even taking the wheel off....
Fix-a-Flat and forget it. Roll to your tire store as soon as possible.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:44 AM   #14 (permalink)

Thanks for all the tips.

Sounds like the tire repair spray does work if you are desparate.

I just picked up a tire inflator kit this week. Canadian Tire had a $42 one on sale for $15. Sale ends Thurs Feb 4/10.

I might pick up a trie repair kit too if I see one on special.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:23 PM   #15 (permalink)

one more thing i negelected to mention, if its on the sidewall forget it, wont work. get towed and buy a new tire.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:03 AM   #16 (permalink)

Tire repair kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Craig View Post
Thanks for all the tips.

Sounds like the tire repair spray does work if you are desparate.

I just picked up a tire inflator kit this week. Canadian Tire had a $42 one on sale for $15. Sale ends Thurs Feb 4/10.

I might pick up a trie repair kit too if I see one on special.
A friend of mine mentioned that Tire Repair Kits are not put on sale very often and are usually very cheap anyways. So, I picked up a Victor Tire repair kit. My friend says he has fixed flats at least 3 times with one of these kits so I am very encouraged by that.

My kit was only $5.99 at Canadian Tire. Here is a link to a kit that has 3 strands in it. Mine was the same but had 5 strands in it.

Google Image Result for http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/wcsstore/CVWEB/staticproductimage//N3190/thumb/1910019_vic_v104_pri_thmb.jpg

Thanks again forum members for the advice. I have the original Lotus spray tin + an air compressor + a tire repair kit. I can sleep well at night now!
Old 03-22-2010, 04:10 PM   #17 (permalink)

Here's a top-of-the-line kit that uses a plug with a mushroom head that gets forced through to the inside of the tire:
No-Mar: Using the Stop-N-Go Tire Plugger

No-mar sells three versions of the kit:
Scratch Proof MOTORCYCLE TIRE CHANGER machines, supplies and accessories.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:19 PM   #18 (permalink)

They now make a size for B I G truck tyres ... that work better
jimkoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:22 PM   #19 (permalink)

The best way to use the fix a flat stuff is to spray a little bit into the tire and then use a tire inflater (air compressor) to inflate the tire to correct pressure. Then drive the car so the tire stuff can circulate evenly and not cause a heavy spot throwing off the balance of the tire.
I did use it to inflate the tire once and it threw the balance all out of wak
I have never been charged by a tire repair place for having the stuff in my tire.
I have yet to use it for the lotus but have used it on previous cars.
bman6074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:54 PM   #20 (permalink)

On my 300ZX, I've used Fix-a-Flat on a few occasions, which kinda worked, but for som reason that car is rather prone to tires deflating.

When I took it to the tire shop, the guys often mention how poor of a condition my rims were INSIDE the tire, due to corrosion from the fix-a-flat stuff. causing the chrome to peel apparently, making a poor seal.
1974 MGB Roadster
(1991 300ZX 2+2 - RIP girl, you treated me well.
Gizmo3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Maintenance and Repairs.