The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Wheel Touchup Paint

6K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  shay2nak 
#1 ·
OK, I had a freak "accident" with my car and the front passenger wheel got nicked. It's a bad enough nick that I want to touch it up. Anyone know where I might find a paint that can color match close enough to make me feel better?

Thanks, I searched and couldn't find anything on topic.

#2 ·
What wheels do you have? Some were anodized and some painted. I think the anodized had a more grey finish and the later wheels are painted a bright metallic silver.

I have the later LSS wheels that are painted the bright metallic silver and found a VERY close match at Advanced Auto. I can check the bottle when I get home. My "incident" chewed up the lip of the rim a little too. I used some primer/filler that is available in the touch-up bottles to build up the surface some. This worked great.

#3 ·
I believe they are painted, but it's a 2005. Doesn't look like simple a anodized finish. I'd appreciate the heads up, as I'm sure others would too.

Thanks!

#6 ·
I'd like to know what to use. One of my wheels is messed up.

#8 ·
Sorry... I just plain ran out of time yesterday and did not get a chance too look. I have setup a reminder on my phone to make sure I do it tonight! :eek:

#10 ·
cory1000 said:
I know a guy that will powder coat all 4 for 160 if you cant find anything else..any color..right outside philly..

I will need a set powder coated. Who in Philly?

if you want ...email tvacc@lotusowers.com or reply here.

#11 ·
Guys name is David Wix, Company is called LFS Coating Services. I actually meet with him today. Great guy, great prices, owns his own shop, he is only employee and has been in business over 30 years. (Im getting nothing from him for any of this, he was just a really nice guy). He charged me 200 for all 4 rims, rear diffuser and gas cap. hes going to media blast finish off and do proper prep work all for 200. I went with flat black but he will do any color. just let him know that you I (Cory) told you to contact him..he normally charges 200 just for 4 rims.. He can be reached at 610-461-1076, he is in airport area of philly.

#12 ·
I can live with the nicks short of powder coating all the wheels...but I do have some parts of my stove that need to be redone, I'll probably contact him about them and my gas cap. :evil:

#13 ·
That's super cheap for powdercoating. I found a guy in San Francisco that will do it for $100/wheel! I'm holding off for the time being, hence would be nice to fix my wheel.

#14 ·
AgentTripleX said:
That's super cheap for powdercoating. I found a guy in San Francisco that will do it for $100/wheel! I'm holding off for the time being, hence would be nice to fix my wheel.
It is a great price for the powder coating, but it's more than powder coating to consider when doing this. The biggest issue is I have nothing to put on the car in the mean time. Anyone know how long it would be OK on jackstands before suspension damage do to droop?

#16 ·
RegGuy said:
It is a great price for the powder coating, but it's more than powder coating to consider when doing this. The biggest issue is I have nothing to put on the car in the mean time. Anyone know how long it would be OK on jackstands before suspension damage do to droop?
I remember seeing a thread on here about that. As long as your car isn't up there for months, you should be OK. A week or two should be no problem. I am not sure what term to search for, but there's something here somewhere for that.

#17 ·
Want to borrow a set of rims/tires for a week or two?

RegGuy said:

#19 ·
cory1000 said:
Want to borrow a set of rims/tires for a week or two?
I think I'm just whining :eek: I want to just touch up the two ugly "tears" to the one wheel and not have to go through powder coating, etc. Also, if I take the tires off the rims I'll want to replace the rears and they still probably have a few thousand miles on them. But I wouldn't want to take them off, remount, and rebalance them with only 1,500-2,000 miles left. :shrug: So, that's where I am with that. Oh, but thanks for the offer!

#20 ·
Ok... I used the Dupli-Color touch paint (Scratch Fix 2in1 applicator with Roller Ball Tip and Brush).

I used Dupli-Color NG SF 031 Gray Filler & Primer to build up the area a little. It goes on fairly thick, but still can take a number of coats if the scratch/damage is deep. I used a very fine grit paper to knock it flush and form the proper contour off the area (lip of the rim in my case).

Once I got the surface the way I wanted it, I applied several coats Dupli-Color NG GM 340 Silver Metallic. I then did a light wet sanding and applied a couple of coats of Dupli-Color NG SF 125 Clear Top Coat to finish it off.

When doing the sanding, I found it best to use very small blocks of wood formed in the shape I would need and then wrap a proper size piece of paper around it.

The NG GM 340 Silver Metallic was a very good match for my factory silver painted LSS wheels. It also appears to be a very close match for my extra set of factory base wheels.

#21 ·
Baysailor said:
Ok... I used the Dupli-Color touch paint (Scratch Fix 2in1 applicator with Roller Ball Tip and Brush).

I used Dupli-Color NG SF 031 Gray Filler & Primer to build up the area a little. It goes on fairly thick, but still can take a number of coats if the scratch/damage is deep. I used a very fine grit paper to knock it flush and form the proper contour off the area (lip of the rim in my case).

Once I got the surface the way I wanted it, I applied several coats Dupli-Color NG GM 340 Silver Metallic. I then did a light wet sanding and applied a couple of coats of Dupli-Color NG SF 125 Clear Top Coat to finish it off.

When doing the sanding, I found it best to use very small blocks of wood formed in the shape I would need and then wrap a proper size piece of paper around it.

The NG GM 340 Silver Metallic was a very good match for my factory silver painted LSS wheels. It also appears to be a very close match for my extra set of factory base wheels.
THANKS! This is exactly what I was looking for. I'm traveling a lot over the next two weeks, but I'll try this early March. I appreciate your detailed response.

Joe

#23 ·
My wheels have no curb rash but the finish is definately coming off of them :(

It's really weird... it looks like paint is "dripping" off of the rear wheels. I can see a black primer or something underneath the paint.

I may have to respray the entire wheel... I hope the new paint lasts.

#24 ·
There is black primer under the paint. Mine got bit when I parked and a grate tipped and my car lurched forward and hit the curbing. I got a slice in the front clam and two tears in the front passenger wheel. Very annoying and also a bit scary as the car was stopped (mostly I guess) and it moved forward and right as I'm trying to press harder on the brake to stop it. Oh well, I'll fix it, but it's still frustrating.

#26 ·
I've got this pinhead sized chunk taken out of my rear LSS black rim, probably from a rock. It's very tiny, but it's all the way down to the metal. Other than the sharpie, is there any DIY stuff out there? Isn't there a paint bottle I can buy?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.