Oil line recall in Canada? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2011, 10:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

Oil line recall in Canada?

Does anyone know if the oil line recall applies to Canadian cars?

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f101...recall-107511/
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2011, 10:56 AM   #2 (permalink)

Road Safety Recalls Database
JuLiAn-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuLiAn-Y View Post
Great info. Does this mean we just need to contact the dealership to schedule the oil line replacement? Thanks!
Old 11-16-2011, 12:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

I just called Gentry Lane in Toronto. Brian (Helder's replacement) said that it is not an 'official recall' yet. He's spoken to Ron Mann at Lotuscars USA and that is what he's been told.

This sucks for me because I had this exact problem happen to me a few weeks ago and now the car is sitting dead at the house. I've been waiting for this to become 'official' so that I can have the car brought to the dealer for the fix.

Brian did say, however, that if this becomes official, then the cost to transport my car to the dealer would be covered. I don't know if this is true, but I guess I'll just have to be patient.

Hopefully this becomes official soon. Snow seems like its just around the corner...
ephc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ephc View Post
I just called Gentry Lane in Toronto. Brian (Helder's replacement) said that it is not an 'official recall' yet. He's spoken to Ron Mann at Lotuscars USA and that is what he's been told.

This sucks for me because I had this exact problem happen to me a few weeks ago and now the car is sitting dead at the house. I've been waiting for this to become 'official' so that I can have the car brought to the dealer for the fix.

Brian did say, however, that if this becomes official, then the cost to transport my car to the dealer would be covered. I don't know if this is true, but I guess I'll just have to be patient.

Hopefully this becomes official soon. Snow seems like its just around the corner...
I hear you. This is really bad having the car sitting dead hoping for the oil line recall to be 'official'. Let's hope it will be official before..... the next spring....

Seriously, the oil line failure is a design problem causing a safety issue and Lotus is trying to put their customers at risk to save a few dollars. This Lotus tactic is for sure giving customers a lot of confidence on their future vehicles.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:28 AM   #6 (permalink)

The government site states that this is a problem with 2006 and 2007 cars... has anyone seen the problem with 2008s?
'69 Elan : QED Head, 420 Cams , CV Joints, Spax, Panasports
'12 Audi S4: My DD
'05 XC70: The kart trailer hauler
MattSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 05:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

To answer my own question, according to the nhtsa web site the failures were due to a faulty process at a supplier that was corrected in october 2006.. I would hope that the bad parts were out of inventory very shorlty after that.
'69 Elan : QED Head, 420 Cams , CV Joints, Spax, Panasports
'12 Audi S4: My DD
'05 XC70: The kart trailer hauler
MattSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattSB View Post
To answer my own question, according to the nhtsa web site the failures were due to a faulty process at a supplier that was corrected in october 2006.. I would hope that the bad parts were out of inventory very shorlty after that.
I would assume no oil line issue with the 2008 cars solely because no oil line issue has been reported on these cars. Still hoping Lotus in Canada confirms recall before the oil line fails. It is like a time bomb.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
los

Transport Canada issues latest recalls - Autos.ca

read under:
2006-2007 Lotus Elise
2007 Lotus Exige
Vehicles affected: 230
On certain vehicles, the engine oil cooler lines could fail, causing an oil leak. Dealers will replace the lines.

2006-2007 Lotus Elise
2007 Lotus Exige
Vehicles affected: 230
On certain vehicles, the engine oil cooler lines could fail, causing an oil leak. Dealers will replace the lines.
los is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:30 AM   #10 (permalink)

Just wanted to provide an update. The car was towed on a flatbed down to the dealer this morning. They put it up on the hoist and have taken pictures of the problem (hose had completely separated from the fitting). They've sent it to LotusUSA and are waiting on directions.

Crossing my fingers that they'll have the go ahead soon. And as far as I know, this still isn't an official recall, hence all the back and forth with head office.

I'll keep you guys posted.

For those of you in the Toronto area, Brian at Gentry has been pretty up front with information. I understand the position he's in but he has also been helpful especially when I told him the car was dead on my driveway. I had spoken to Helder a number of times in the past and he treated me well. I was worried when Brian took over that there may be a change in attitude, but so far, so good.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:38 AM   #11 (permalink)

my dealer (montreal) is not informed yet of the recall

Elise 2006, white, BOE/EFI, 275 whp
List of mod: I am just stupid putting that much money on that car!
elise/europa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 02:34 PM   #12 (permalink)

Today's comment from Ron Mann, Lotus Cars USA..."Lotus is working on a remedy and as soon as possible will notify the appropriate authorities, its customers and dealers and will provide a timetable for completion".
Old 12-12-2011, 01:58 PM   #13 (permalink)

Oh well, mine is put away for the winter now. I expect a lineup at the dealer when the snow melts!
Old 02-04-2012, 02:58 PM   #14 (permalink)

Any updates on this?

2009 SCCA National Championship - 2nd CMod
2005 Canadian National Champion - CSP
Yarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:07 PM   #15 (permalink)

I receive a letter last week about that saying that it is a risk, and they are looking for a solution... no recall at the moment... just take care if you see oil leak...

Elise 2006, white, BOE/EFI, 275 whp
List of mod: I am just stupid putting that much money on that car!
elise/europa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:53 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Just wanted to provide an update. The car was towed on a flatbed down to the dealer this morning. They put it up on the hoist and have taken pictures of the problem (hose had completely separated from the fitting). They've sent it to LotusUSA and are waiting on directions.

Crossing my fingers that they'll have the go ahead soon. And as far as I know, this still isn't an official recall, hence all the back and forth with head office.

I'll keep you guys posted.
Did you get the repair covered? Anyone has any update for the oil line recall in Canada?

Pretty scary knowing the oil line could explode any minute out there...

Oil Line Ruptured on the Bay Bridge :(
Old 05-28-2012, 11:50 AM   #17 (permalink)

Oil line went on mine also.

Car's fine now, let me stress though, don't read or get random info off this site, seems like people talk worst case scenario and I thought I'd be needing a new engine.

Drove car for a good 20 minutes, which I know now was a bad idea and didn't help that it starting giving me issues just as I drove onto a bridge.

But car is fine, so if it happens to you, don't stress, get it checked out by people who are in the know first.

daz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:27 PM   #18 (permalink)

Sorry, I missed this post...

Yes, my lines were repaired, but according to Brian, it was a one off due to my situation. Last I spoke to him, they were still waiting for parts. I guess Lotus knows there will probably be a lot of owners wanting this done as soon as they give the green light, so good idea to have the parts ready. Just wish they would move faster. lol
Old 05-29-2012, 11:20 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz01 View Post
Oil line went on mine also.

Car's fine now, let me stress though, don't read or get random info off this site, seems like people talk worst case scenario and I thought I'd be needing a new engine.

Drove car for a good 20 minutes, which I know now was a bad idea and didn't help that it starting giving me issues just as I drove onto a bridge.

But car is fine, so if it happens to you, don't stress, get it checked out by people who are in the know first.

It is truly thankful not to have any engine damage running the engine for 20mins without oil. Have they done the compression test on the engine and physically checked the cam, valves and springs with the engine cover off?

Quote:
Sorry, I missed this post...

Yes, my lines were repaired, but according to Brian, it was a one off due to my situation. Last I spoke to him, they were still waiting for parts. I guess Lotus knows there will probably be a lot of owners wanting this done as soon as they give the green light, so good idea to have the parts ready. Just wish they would move faster. lol
So Lotus is still taking the "not-broken, no-fix" approach? Why it takes so long to get a green light in Canada? There are not even a lot of Eliges in Canada for the oil line recall.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:39 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:

I called Gentry Lane last week and got a similar story... "Its not official as they don't know what the exact problem is, blah, blah, blah". That's BS.

Has anyone talked to Scotti or Weissach? I never have a good feeling from GL.

For something as seemingly simple as an oil line and associated fittings, how can it possibly take so long to figure out the problem, or get parts?!?
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Regions > Canada