K&F meet 11/8/12 - Page 6 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 12:24 PM   #101 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimgt View Post
I blame Rich too, he is such a prick.
Hey! I resemble that remark!
451 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 12:46 PM   #102 (permalink)

Ya if the group is much bigger, I think I'd rather do a decker canyon run. With the mustangs I did a run of about 15 cars and nobody got lost. Just thinking about for next time.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:01 PM   #103 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 451 View Post

*note that I'm not saying that it can't be done or shouldn't be, just wouldn't be my preference to be part of some 20 car convoy on that route.
Agreed that 20 cars, if not handled properly, can only be dealt with as a cruise and not spirited. In situations like that you have to split into smaller groups. The EOM drives average 10-15 cars. When it's 10, we stay one group. At 11, we split.

Part of the trick is respecting each other's pace and having a route that is carefully chosen.

This is a bit long, but it's an incredibly well written piece on group drives. Not all drives need to be planned to the nth degree, but the post gives great insight worthwhile to anyone thinking of inviting a few friends out for a drive.

http://s2000.com/forums/showthread.php?p=225043

After you've done a few, it becomes second nature. That stated, some days you just want it to be you and the road, or you and a couple of closely matched driving buddies.
2005 Lotus Elise
RMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:31 PM   #104 (permalink)

In my opinon, 5 cars going down the mountain is the ideal number. if more than 6 or 7 cars show up next time, we may want to split up or go down in groups or something.
deadtruthrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:02 PM   #105 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadtruthrex View Post
In my opinon, 5 cars going down the mountain is the ideal number. if more than 6 or 7 cars show up next time, we may want to split up or go down in groups or something.
Do you guys usually do drives where you just cover the same bit of road over and over?
2005 Lotus Elise
Old 11-12-2012, 03:15 PM   #106 (permalink)

We did 2 runs down to get video from 2 perspectives lol sucks only having one camera. Also helps to go down once at a little slower pace for the ones that dont know the road. Then the second run down they know what to expect and can have a little more fun I thought it worked out perfect
Old 11-12-2012, 03:19 PM   #107 (permalink)

Agreed, I thought all of us enjoyed it. Except Kim who soiled himself

And I'm *this* close (which is pretty close) to pre-ordering one of those Hero3 GoPro's for next time.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:41 PM   #108 (permalink)

Quote:
Agreed, I thought all of us enjoyed it. Except Kim who soiled himself
NOT TRUE, I enjoyed myself.......after i changed.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:44 PM   #109 (permalink)
Back to the Future, again

Quote:
BTW I was only able to get a photo of the coolest cars.
Fixed it for ya:
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #110 (permalink)

haha, I was always under the notion when I had my Celica that canyon runs/track/autoX would be a breeze with a high end sports car. as if it would take less effort for that car in the same corner than my Celica. Once I got the Exige I learned you still have to work just as hard if not harder to drive the car fast. I'm still learning how to drive a manual properly, that plus getting used to no powersteering was interesting. Its was a great experience, but now I can't help but wish I could talk with myself 4-5 years ago.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:49 PM   #111 (permalink)

Yep, the easiest car to toss around was my Miata, which made every other car I had, cheap or expensive, seem like way overweight and complicated. I dare say it was even easier than the Lotus to drive fast on a very tight section of road because of its power steering and neutral front/rear balance.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:51 PM   #112 (permalink)

That's not Lotus... It doesn't count ..lol
jlotusd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:53 PM   #113 (permalink)

hmm, thats an excellent way to put it. there is not a doubt that the lotus has WAY more grip than any normal car, but it makes you work for it and takes considerable skill to drive properly (skills i know i don't have....yet)
Old 11-12-2012, 03:59 PM   #114 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlotusd View Post
That's not Lotus... It doesn't count ..lol
Sorry, you're right... he did say coolest in the context of this drive so it would have to be Rich's Lotus with the Difflow diffuser and Vision Function exhaust. Those parts make his car the coolest, no other way around that fact. It's a fact, you know. Facts, I say!

Quote:
hmm, thats an excellent way to put it. there is not a doubt that the lotus has WAY more grip than any normal car, but it makes you work for it and takes considerable skill to drive properly (skills i know i don't have....yet)
Actually, the Lotus Elige series do not have that much more grip than any regular decent car with decent tires. It is still rated at under 1G and the front/rear balance is actually pretty bad, as there is only so much you can do with the mid-engine layout.

A Miata with upsized sticky tires can match the Elige for ultimate grip and the 50/50 front/rear balance makes it easier to hustle without worry about the snap oversteer that a mid-engine car can be prone to.

Besides, spirited canyon driving is not too relevant to testing ultimate grip, but rather, ease of control, body roll dynamics and chassis stability helps way more in the canyons than ultimate grip. You will not get anywhere close to ultimate grip in the canyons and if you do, you're going to crash soon thereafter.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:00 PM   #115 (permalink)

I can't imagine anyone with a performance vehicle not enjoying Tuna Canyon, but then it's possible I lack imagination. I don't think so, though.

I have been considering multi-input black box dash cams for several months. I placed the order for one with both front and rear cameras yesterday. I contemplated waiting since my current car may get sold if I find just the right Elise, but who knows how long it will take for that, and I can always transplant it to the next vehicle. I'm actually getting it for dual purpose: witness capability and just general recording on the road. GoPro with the WiFi remote is the hot ticket for quality, but I also want the always on continuous loop recording, and the shock sensor black box/accident recording capabilities. GoPro can't really do that.
2005 Lotus Elise
Old 11-12-2012, 04:13 PM   #116 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
...he did say coolest in the context of this drive so it would have to be Rich's Lotus with the Difflow diffuser and Vision Function exhaust. Those parts make his car the coolest, no other way around that fact. It's a fact, you know. Facts, I say!
QFT

Old 11-12-2012, 04:29 PM   #117 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
A Miata with upsized sticky tires can match the Elige for ultimate grip and the 50/50 front/rear balance
Old 11-12-2012, 04:35 PM   #118 (permalink)

"A Miata with upsized sticky tires can match the Elige for ultimate grip and the 50/50 front/rear balance"

I don't track but I think my quite-stiff MRS has more stick when turning tight on medium/poor roads. The Exige, with inherent harder suspension and better everything, will way outperform at higher speeds.

also: it will take me a long time to get used to not having power steering.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:49 PM   #119 (permalink)

<M. Buffer>Lettttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt's get ready to ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuumble</M. Buffer>

If it's one thing this forum needs desperately it's some good old fashioned heated debate. I just don't see enough of it. I've been to the "Other" section and thought: "hmmmmmm, not much going on in here, everyone agrees with one another and everyone is getting along nicely.... boring".

And this K&F thread is the *perfect* place to stage a showdown between the Miata and the Elige on handling to see who comes out on top.

I expect to see linear and non-linear acceleration graphs, I want to see some math, science and physics on lateral G's and not just back of the cocktail napkin calculations either. I want formula's and proofs. I want to see the kind of math like they do in Good Will Hunting. Whatever that crap is, that's what I want to see in this thread. Lots of it.

I want to see track data, molecular analysis of tire compound vs. suspension spring rate and geometry. Oh and I want all the data collated, signed in triplicate and notarized as well.

Once all the data is in, and has been collated and sorted (2 to 3 weeks time), then we can begin the discussion on which car is more fun and where. Until then, this discussion is rather... rudimentary, wouldn't you say old chaps?

Let us not fall into another vapid discussion wherein everyone agrees. That is so... boring.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:07 PM   #120 (permalink)

Quote:
<M. Buffer>Lettttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt's get ready to ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuumble</M. Buffer>

If it's one thing this forum needs desperately it's some good old fashioned heated debate. I just don't see enough of it. I've been to the "Other" section and thought: "hmmmmmm, not much going on in here, everyone agrees with one another and everyone is getting along nicely.... boring".

And this K&F thread is the *perfect* place to stage a showdown between the Miata and the Elige on handling to see who comes out on top.

I expect to see linear and non-linear acceleration graphs, I want to see some math, science and physics on lateral G's and not just back of the cocktail napkin calculations either. I want formula's and proofs. I want to see the kind of math like they do in Good Will Hunting. Whatever that crap is, that's what I want to see in this thread. Lots of it.

I want to see track data, molecular analysis of tire compound vs. suspension spring rate and geometry. Oh and I want all the data collated, signed in triplicate and notarized as well.

Once all the data is in, and has been collated and sorted (2 to 3 weeks time), then we can begin the discussion on which car is more fun and where. Until then, this discussion is rather... rudimentary, wouldn't you say old chaps?

Let us not fall into another vapid discussion wherein everyone agrees. That is so... boring.
Shouldnt be a problem for Kim look how good he did figuring out the bill at lunch lol
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Regions > California Region