LA Lunch or Dinner? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 11:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Difflow Lotus Diffusers

LA Lunch or Dinner?

Anything going on in the L.A. area this weekend (Nov 16th-18th?) My wife and I will be in L.A, would be fun to join in on a lunch or dinner with some Lotus enthusiasts!
qu1Z is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 12:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Maybe we can do a K&F meet Kim what do you think? Too soon for another meet?
Old 11-12-2012, 12:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

^^ i'm in
jlotusd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'm down. Qu1z let us know what works for you.

Also, this might be a good time if anyone wants anything and save on shipping. And deals Qu1z?
Old 11-12-2012, 01:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

I am in. Especially if it's in West LA or North LA
Old 11-12-2012, 03:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Difflow Lotus Diffusers

I don't have diffusers with me, but talk to me at the lunch/dinner/event this weekend and I'll be happy to give great deals!
Old 11-12-2012, 03:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

hehe, I was thinking smaller. like aero plates or rear diffuser block off plate, but i'll see you then.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

Subscribed.
sb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Difflow Lotus Diffusers

How about lunch on Saturday at Portillos Hot Dogs? 12:00 PM? Or any other recommendations?

8390 La Palma Avenue
Buena Park, CA
Old 11-12-2012, 06:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

I'm in. Which city will you be staying qu1z?
pray4mojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:16 PM   #11 (permalink)

sounds good
Old 11-12-2012, 06:23 PM   #12 (permalink)

sounds good to me too
Old 11-12-2012, 06:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
Difflow Lotus Diffusers

Awesome

Still figuring out which area to stay in. Any good hotel recommendations?

Friday I'll be stopping by a lot of the bodyshops/lotus tuner shops.

Saturday I want to go to Cars and Coffee in Irvine, heard it was awesome. Then do the Lotus lunch at Portillos at noon! Then I want to check out the road where people drive in the wrong lane and fly off the cliffs, and where jay leno drives, that's mulholland right? On sunday, we are free - so what other fun things can my wife and I do? Gotta fit shopping somewhere in there, haha!

Last edited by qu1Z; 11-12-2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:48 PM   #14 (permalink)
Difflow Lotus Diffusers

https://www.facebook.com/events/110931905737381

Created an event, rsvp!
Old 11-12-2012, 06:51 PM   #15 (permalink)

2008 Burnt Orange Exige
Heavyweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #16 (permalink)

Now I'll be reminded haha
pray4mojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #17 (permalink)

I'm excited about this! I've spoken to Glenn a few times via PMs and he sounds like a nice and Lotus Knowledgable guy. Also, Buena park is my hood!

I'll be there!
deadtruthrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:07 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qu1Z View Post
Saturday I want to go to Cars and Coffee in Irvine, heard it was awesome. Then do the Lotus lunch at Portillos at noon! Then I want to check out the road where people drive in the wrong lane and fly off the cliffs, and where jay leno drives, that's mulholland right? On sunday, we are free - so what other fun things can my wife and I do? Gotta fit shopping somewhere in there, haha!
Portillo's Hot Dogs to Mulholland Hwy - Google Maps (<-- that's a link to a map)

Perhaps you would be better off doing Mulholland Highway on Sunday morning. The drive from Buena Park to The Snake on Mulholland Highway is at *least* an hour and a half. Could be longer depending on Saturday afternoon traffic. If your lunch is only one hour long and you leave promptly at 1, you *could* make the snake by 2:30, but more likely 3pm. And that's not allowing time to actually drive any of the roads, just get there. Sunset in LA next weekend will be about 4:45pm. You will have some seriously long shadows at 3pm, cooler temps, and the local deer population becoming more active (they are most active at sunrise and sunset). And if you are interested in driving Tuna Canyon, you'll definitely want to allow more time. It would be tempting fate (aka dangerous) to try at that time of day.

Not saying, "Don't do it!" but you might consider if there is something else you want to do instead on Saturday in the OC (shopping at South Coast Plaza or Fashion Island; drinks out on Balboa.) and hit the Snake on Sunday morning instead. And that is the day that Leno is usually out, if he's out driving. If that is actually important to you. And there will be cool cars at the Overlook, and cooler motorcycles at the Rock Store, if you're interested in that. If you go Saturday at 3pm, there will be none of that on Mulholland Highway.

As an aside, be sure not to confuse Mulholland Highway and Mulholland Drive. Two different roads. The former is great. The latter becomes a dirt road.

I know Malibu pretty well. I can suggest roads with very detailed directions and commentary that will save you a lot of hassles and get you to all the cool spots. If I haven't got other commitments, I'm happy to show you the roads.

Aside: I don't own a Lotus at this time. I'm shopping though. Seeking a 2007 Elise. Presently still in an '07 S2000.

PS Regarding places to stay: If you want to be near C&C, consider booking in the South Coast Metro area in one of the hotels that normally caters to business travelers. On weekends they are generally dead and have excellent rates and availability. Just locate South Coast Plaza on the map and find local 4 star hotels near there. Alternatively, there are hotels near Fashion Island as well. Just depends on what you are seeking. Avoid Santa Ana. No, not all of Santa Ana is bad, but if you don't know the area, you can land in a less than favorable location so it's easier to avoid and stick to Irvine and Newport.

Last edited by RMurphy; 11-12-2012 at 08:16 PM. Reason: added hotel info
RMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:17 PM   #19 (permalink)
Back to the Future, again

I'll be there, but no Lotus. Sounds like fun and will be cool to meet you finally. You helped out greatly and recommended the awesome 7 element when I thought it was going to be too busy.

As for the other events, there's always Supercar Sunday in Woodland Hills and then you can stop by Malibu afterwards because it's not too far from there to see the Rockstore and Jay Leno.

I would say you should check out Angeles Crest but that is more for bikers, but you do get a lot of car clubs going up there too.

So you are staying in the north OC area, I take it? If you stay closer, I can even meet up with you Friday early evening, I will be out in the West L.A. area around that time, not in the Lotus either.

Oh, there is a Friday night Bob's Big Boy rockabilly meet in Burbank. All sorts of retro hot rods and cafe racers there, and everyone is dressed up too. Pretty cool event.

So the recommendation is:

Saturday early morning, CnC in Irvine, then back to Portillos for lunch. That keeps you in OC area.

Sunday morning Supercar Sunday in Woodland Hills, then Malibu across the 101 on Las Virgenes, to Malibu Canyon Road, right on Mulholland, Rock Store, and then the Snake and Lookout. This keeps you in North LA area.

Don't have to rush for anything, just plan it out according to where you are going to be.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:20 PM   #20 (permalink)

Re Shopping: If you get near it I suggest a unique experience shopping at Santee Alley (a.k.a. Fashion District, Garment District). But Google it to see if it's your "thing."

Re Hotels: Priceline away. Beach cities are good for tourists.

I'll join the group on the weekend if it get as far north a Santa Monica or Malibu!

Last edited by Im_Not_In_San_Fran; 11-12-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Im_Not_In_San_Fran is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Regions > California Region