Santa Monica Mountains; EOM (end of month) drive Sunday 11/25/2012. Open invitation. - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 11:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Santa Monica Mountains; EOM (end of month) drive Sunday 11/25/2012. Open invitation.

Santa Monica Mountains; EOM (end of month) drive Sunday 11/25/2012. Open invitation.

Here are some specifics:
November EOM Drive
Sunday, November 25, 2012
Meet at 9:00am, "driver's meeting" and route discussion at 9:30am, roll out at 9:40am
Vons on PCH
at the corner of Sunset Blvd and Pacific Coast Highway
17380 Sunset Blvd
Pacific Palisades, CA 90272
we meet toward the west side of the lot nearest the Starbucks

Details are the same as last month so you can eyeball this thread for details:
Santa Monica Mountains; EOM (end of month) drive Sunday 10/28/2012. Open invitation.

No sign ups. Just show up with a full tank of gas, a bottle of water to stay hydrated, and an empty bladder.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

I hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday weekend in whatever you end up doing. If you are driving to visit family and friends, be careful out there. The roads are packed with frantic travelers trying to get from point A to point B, and sometimes they aren't in really good moods about who they are heading off to see at point B (in-laws, siblings, etc.), so I hope everyone can just relax and allow some extra time and patience in your drives. :-D

Happy Turkey Day all!
RMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 01:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Turned out to be a lovely day. Amazing how the coast at PCH and Sunset was incredibly foggy in the morning, but as soon as we got inland a mile everything was bright and sunny. View from above the fogline at the Stunt overlook was just beautiful.

We had about 13 cars start the day. A 14th caught up with us at a stopping point, two or three left after lunch for previous commitments, but another joined us at the lunch point so it worked out nicely. Ended a little later than I like to, but I think that's because we started later (letting fog burn off a bit) and we lingered at the Overlook awhile longer than normal.

And other pics...
EOM Drive November 2012 - fearrange's Photos
Old 11-26-2012, 03:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

You were parked at the end of Tuna on Sunday, no? Saw a big line of cars with a bright yellow S2000 and a group of people hanging out when me and my family passed by. Took my wife's white Altima on the run. Not nearly as fun as the Lotus and my wife's car kept acting up after that (hence sitting around at the bottom for a few minutes).
451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 451 View Post
You were parked at the end of Tuna on Sunday, no? Saw a big line of cars with a bright yellow S2000 and a group of people hanging out when me and my family passed by. Took my wife's white Altima on the run. Not nearly as fun as the Lotus and my wife's car kept acting up after that (hence sitting around at the bottom for a few minutes).
Yes, we were. That's funny, because I am pretty sure I remember that white Altima. We actually were talking about your car for a minute because the brakes smelled like they got a *serious* work out! :-D Didn't notice you were there at the stop sign for terribly long, but admittedly we probably all would have just figured you had to wait for a break in traffic anyway. Sometimes the left out of there can be a real PITA.

Tuna had us all a little nervous (okay, maybe just me) because some of the areas which remain in the shade all day were slightly damp still. But still a fun day.

(I think we were down to only 8 cars at that point. Tight group that ran about the same pace so we had a nice run of it.)

Last edited by RMurphy; 11-26-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

I believe the phrase "on fire" best described the brakes.

I wasn't having a go of it full tilt but the brakes still got nice and toasty. Something else is wrong with the car but that's a different story.

I noticed the parts of the road you were talking about being damp - also spotted a few deer after the first shady turn out and ravine - one of which was right in the middle of the road.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yikes. Yeah, that is one of those roads where even in an automatic, I would want to be in a lower gear.

I didn't notice any deer when we drove through, but they could easily have been in the bushes alongside the road and we would never have seen them. In the *middle* of the road would definitely be a bit unsettling.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yup, agreed! And yeah, right smack in the middle of the road just chillin' till I got closer then she ran off with her fawn or whatever the hell they're called and down into the brush. I shudder to think what would have happened if it were a group drive or solo run with some speed finding them.

I've only been twice but they seem to congregate right in that brushy ravine area near the first turnout, hope I never ever see one further down.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 451 View Post
I shudder to think what would have happened if it were a group drive or solo run with some speed finding them.
I was thinking the same thing about a car full of family with brakes working real hard. All of those circumstances are worth shuddering over. Scary sh!t no matter how you slice the venison.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:23 AM   #9 (permalink)

Some RockStore Photos. Scroll through to see the group.

Morning session starting at:
_DSC2044 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

and also at:
_DSC2068 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Afternoon session starting at:
_DS30479 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

He didn't get all of us, but he got most.

And from Highwayphotos.net, starting here:
WJY_5861 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Regions > California Region