The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

SMOG CHECK QUESTION...

8K views 58 replies 21 participants last post by  Lotusmotion 
#1 ·
Yup my first smog check is coming up.

I have DECAT+Arqray since day one=won't pass smog.

Will have to put stock cat + OEM exhaust on.

HOWEVER, diffuser doesn't have hole for OEM exhaust

QUESTION: You think techs will give me a hard time with no diffuser and naked rear?

DUE TO LACK OF TIME: entertaining taking the car to shop to switch exahust and do smog. Quotes are $200 + smog fees. Sounds high for a few minute exhaust bolt and unbolt.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

#38 ·
I think the dealer charged me 2 hours worth of labor to swap the OEM cat back in. I installed the FTP cat myself with ramps. I took my time and had some clearance issues but could probably do it in 2 hrs now. Maybe you can find an independent shop that'll charge you just one hour. It really is a simple process and a lift makes it much easier, IMO.

#44 ·
i will tell you this - if you 'fail' a smog test, no one will give it a "pass" because its gets tracked at that point. it will pass with intake, headers, etc.. WITH a cat. mine does...

modern high flow cats... i mean - honestly it almost better to have it on the car. any power diff is so minimal

#47 ·
Jim Dunford <dmccomponents@gmail.com>

made me a cat with in a reasonable time frame, for a very fair price. i honestly think the car runs better with the high flow sport cat, than with no cat.

#49 ·
you have to drive the car for about 45 min, and leave it running at smog station... so its broiling hot. it won't pass if they just start it and let it warm up for a few min.

#50 ·
My car failed multiple times with an FTP cat. Pretty sure the shop did what they could. Perhaps some of the other aftermarket cats are more efficient but just wanted to offer up my experience.

#51 ·
That does sux man.. Many variables. For sure the cats do not last long though. Mine only had about 20k miles at most and around 5 years on it and it was blown out completely clean. Nothing at all in side! I don't know what make of cat Jim made me, but he did say they were the next generation and more efficient. The inspection station I used said. Just to get it very hot and to not turn it off... To squeez out better #'s to be sure. It's not really that hard for me to swap out the Forced fed cat. Guess that also depend on your set up. Tune as well.

#52 ·
+1 on life span on the cat. That will definitely affect the results. Mine is still new pretty much from lack of use.

sturgeon's problem could also be that he has an 05 elise and those weren't supercharged and the smog shop is using data file for a NA elise (which of course all 2005s were).

#53 ·
Well finally after the car sitting for almost 14 months, getting oil recall done this Sat.

10/19 will take it for smog. Will contact Harry. My car had Decat last 5 years. Put the stock CAT back on, but the clamp that tightens the stock CAT on the Arqray pipe, there was a small leak.

Hope that doesn't make me fail smog

After smog, Decat going back in.

Will keep ya'll posted.

If Harry can't fit me in, if anybody have recommendations for good smog shop in West La, or Valley/Ventura, I am all ears.

#55 ·
Exactly to the day after I posted this thread one year ago, went to Smog it yesterday, and IT PASSED!!!:clap::clap:

Now that recall is done, smog is done, I can finally take off the PNO, and register it for street using again....going to dump the personalized plate

Oh how I missed driving her...

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.