SoCal Paint Protective Film info thread - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 08:39 PM   #21 (permalink)

definitely check the edges of your film to make sure there's no lift. it does take time for the film to rest and conform to the compound angles of the car. I found one small corner that had a tendency to create an air pocket and lift. i grabbed a small bit of painters tape to hold it down while it "cured" for the weekend, and all is well. a couple small air pockets were visible on my side rocker when I got it back, but it too disappeared over the course of a week.

Drivetrain: MWR Racer Xpress engine | TODA | Moroso | Canton Racing | Ishihara-Johnson | Arqray | ProRad | Sector111 | Radium Engineering | ACT | Cusco | Harmon Racing
Suspension: Penske | V2Motorsports | Sector111 | RAC | Toyo | BOE | DBA |
Interior: Reverie | Schroth | Sector111 | Sparco |
Aero: Sector111 | APR |Prototype Composites |
imstillonjava is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 09:16 PM   #22 (permalink)

Thanks for the Pro-tip, gonna check for any lifts now, got some tape in the trunk
Old 11-19-2012, 03:01 PM   #23 (permalink)

Ok, after a weekend with the car and some time to inspect the work, it still looks great. Pics to show how it came out. Completely worth the money, does it job and remains relatively invisible.

Passenger rocker panel

Fender, try to find the film's edge on the fender

Some bubbles that still need to get worked out

Front end, you can see the seam where two films were combined to cover everything.

rear lower portion

Whole car, polish really brought back the shine!
Old 11-19-2012, 03:15 PM   #24 (permalink)

Looks stunning! I always love the looks of a black car, but after having owned a couple I fully admit I'm not up to the task of keeping another one clean and pretty. Glad that there are people out there who are.

Very nice.
RMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:45 AM   #25 (permalink)
Back to the Future, again

I had two black cars in my life... swore to never do it again... but nothing looks as good as one, no doubt, when it's clean.

Good deal, Kim. Looks new again, and totally worth the money in the pride of ownership it gives you. Did you also touch up the rear spiders?
Old 11-20-2012, 08:40 AM   #26 (permalink)

Thanks!! I've made a commitment to this, 1st color choice for the Exige was black, 2nd was white. "no regerts"

As for the spider cracks on the rear, TJ agonized over this, but in the end there wasn't a good way to cover it and make it look better. if you didn't see the cracks, you see the paint trying to cover it up in the exact same pattern. What sucks is its right on the "EXIGE" sticker, if its ever fixed i'll probaly have to get another 06 sticker and "L O T U S" chrome decal too.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:51 PM   #27 (permalink)

@ KIMGT: Nice and glad that you finally put the film on. Did you also applied to your headlights?

I also had them put on my Elise and Evora's headlamps. No issues with fog, fading, peeling or the film turning yellow after 5 years on the elise and 1 year on the Evora. I did it because I was getting rock chips and scratches on the headlamps.

Here is another shop in the OC area that does a great job.

Premier
544 W. Katella Avenue, Unit H, Orange, CA 92867
714-628-0100

Premier Protective Films International (aka Premier Mobile) clear bra, paint protection film, tint, auto tint, safety film, chip paint, kits, custom, car
secret_cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:53 PM   #28 (permalink)

Peter (?) thanks for your input, I didn't check out premier, although I should have. I got everything on the front end covered, headlights and all, feelsgoodman.jpeg
Old 11-20-2012, 05:45 PM   #29 (permalink)

Just don't wax it.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:28 PM   #30 (permalink)

Yes, don't wax it. I would just hand wash it and lightly dry it off. The Clear Bra shops also offer sprays to protect/condition it which I haven't tried yet.

Now, I just have to search on how to remove swirl marks on the clear bra.
secret_cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:46 PM   #31 (permalink)

I was told to use plexus, its a plastic cleaner/glaze that will keep the clear bra in tip top shape. Going to look for it tomorrow at local motorcycle shops.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:56 PM   #32 (permalink)

I use Plexus on my motorcycle body pieces, helmets, and clear shields. It is actually a plastic polish which does clear up swirls and also cleans very nicely.

It's not cheap though, but worth it. However, for regular cleaning I just use Pledge.
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Regions > California Region