The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

[DFW]Jack Junkies - DIY Garage in Plano

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  CosmosMpower 
#1 ·
Note: This is not a paid, discounted, or otherwise incentivized endorsement or review, and I have no affiliation to the following other than being a happy customer.

And, even though I sold my Elise last year, I'm compelled to tell you guys about this place.

Yesterday, I finally made time to visit Jack Junkies, which is a facility in Plano that has 2-post, 4-post, and jack-stand only bays for rent, like $23 per hour for a 2-post lift. Rates are listed here. You can bring in your own tools or use theirs. They include basic hand tools with each rental and have plenty more available for a small fee. Once I got the run-down of how the lift works, I was left to my own devices (yes, you sign a waiver/rental agreement). They have fluid disposal containers, Wifi, tables for your stuff, TV's on the wall, shop air, clean-up area, creepers, and much more. They have plenty of specialty tools for rent as well, including a tire mounting machine & wheel balancing machine. If you get stuck or get it over your head, you can leave your car there for a small nightly storage fee. Their 4-post lifts have floating plates for making alignment adjustments, but since they don't have an alignment rack, bring your camber gauge & string.

You can hire an on-site certified mechanic for $39 per hour. Some people just leave their car with the mechanic to do all the work, making it run like a regular shop. If you price it out on a 2-post lift, $23 + $39 = $62 per hour, which is significant savings over most shops ($100 per hour). You can also hire the mechanic and then help out on the job, in theory reducing the total number of hours required.

When I first started, I was a bit self-conscious, but I settled in to my routine pretty quickly. Raising & lowering the lift was all kinds of fun, believe it or not. Even though I've been under my can on jack stands plenty of times, when my car was 6' up, I had to pause before going under - it's an odd feeling the first time you do it. But, like I said, I settled in and had a really nice time doing some fluid changes, tire rotation, and inspecting lots of other bits.

And, in December, they're going to start offering classes/tech sessions on some basic maintenance items. If they do this right, it should be a hit because you can't get this sort of program anywhere else.

All of this being said, Jack Junkies is not the place to things like extensive motor tear down work, fabrication, or body work. Its wheelhouse is the 1-day or less jobs like preventative maintenance and other bolt-on mechanical repair.

Point being: for you folks who are looking to learn, you have a place to go. For the seasoned folks who want/need a lift to make your life easier, you have a place to go.

You're welcome. :coolnana:

See less See more
#2 ·
It would be more enticing if it were a national chain, as versus one location in Texas.

#4 ·
I haven't had a chance to check it out yet but a local Miata guy swapped a transmission there in one day. I think they also have tire mounting/balancing equipment.

I may use them to do some basic stuff on the GT-R and Cayman.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.