The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Where can I get a PPI in Dallas?

7K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  zakiu 
#1 ·
I just called the local Lotus dealership in Plano, TX to ask how much they would charge for a PPI of a Lotus Elise.

They said they don't do PPI's. I asked why and they said for "legal reasons". They were unable to suggest anybody who could do a PPI on a Lotus.

Any suggestions on where I could get a PPI in the Dallas/Fort Worth area?

Thanks. Very much appreciated!

Ji3m (the 3 is silent)

#2 ·
Maybe try Autoscope Park Cities? They are the only other shop around that I know has worked on several Lotuses. For as big as DFW is, there are surprisingly little resources out there for our cars.

#7 ·
Another +1 for Auto Scope

I was a noob and needed an objective report on a Lotus I was considering in the Dallas area, they were very easy to deal with, knew the car, very thorough, great report, willing to discuss by phone (I was in Virginia, had never seen the car). Price was very reasonable, I would highly recommend them. Multiple locations in DFW area.

#8 ·
Autoscope would be good to go to, personally I don't like the plano dealership...my dad bought his Elise there and the guy was awesome(until after he bought his elise) Dunno, would think their salesman there would be a little more personable after the sale...guess I was wrong.

Would love to meet up with some of you fellow DFW Lotus owners, we should schedule a meet up! =D

-Ty-

#9 ·
In a perfect world, you will want an ECU data dump, as it will give information abotu engine usage, time in rpm bands, that kind of thing and maybe the dealer will at least do that if Autoscope does not have the data. Be sure the PPI includes a visual inspection of the cam lobes, leakdown test, and then other basics like looking for leaks, chafes, damage, signs of previoulsy-repaired damage, and the rest.

#11 ·
I called Autoscope. Very friendly and polite. The PPI is $300. Compression check and leak-down test are extra. I believe it was $125 for the compression check and $150 for the leak-down if I remember right. I'll have to call back to see if they dump the ECU data.

#12 ·
Compression check is a 20 minute job tops FWIW. You could easily do this yourself.

#13 ·
those purple cars seem rare. Really good looking.

#16 ·
DFW Lotus hopeful and also new to the site :wave:. Have been considering making the trip up to McKinney to check out the purple Elise - not to buy that particular one, but to try to get a test drive and get a real feel for the car. If any other DFW Elise owners wouldn't mind taking me along for a ride or letting me take a look at their car in person, it would be really helpful for my hunt!

Went up to Lotus Plano to look at Evoras. Their Lotus rep was with someone else - despite an appointment - and after 20 minutes sent a more junior guy to give me the test drive. The junior guy was much nicer and seemed more passionate about the cars, pretty sure his name was Justin. After the drive and another 20 minutes, the main salesman came out for a minute and tried to explain what a great deal the car was at ~88k "because any and all of the parts can be bought at your local Autozone, even the seats!" :huh: He then had to get back to his other client. Main guy wasn't so great and a bit dismissive, but may just have been really busy. Younger guy was really well-informed about the full Lotus range and seemed to love the brand.

#18 ·
DFW Lotus hopeful and also new to the site :wave:. Have been considering making the trip up to McKinney to check out the purple Elise - not to buy that particular one, but to try to get a test drive and get a real feel for the car. If any other DFW Elise owners wouldn't mind taking me along for a ride or letting me take a look at their car in person, it would be really helpful for my hunt!
Where about in Dallas do you live? Might be able to meet up with you so you can take a look at mine =)

I'm in Allen, just south of McKinney =P

-Ty-

#19 ·
Hey, thanks!

I'm in the uptown / Oak Lawn area of Dallas, so about a half hour away. I don't find myself up that way too often. But for the chance to see an Elise, I think I could make up an excuse!

Sorry to be taking this thread away from the intedned direction, but how is it driving an Elise around this area? I haven't seen too, too many optimal Lotus Roads. Seems like we have pretty ideal weather for one though.

#24 ·
Well for one the listing says magnolia but that interior is biscuit.

$300 for a PPI seems excessive. Each time I've had one done it's about 1 hour of shop time or $110-$130 bucks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.