Where can I get a PPI in Dallas? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 10:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Where can I get a PPI in Dallas?

I just called the local Lotus dealership in Plano, TX to ask how much they would charge for a PPI of a Lotus Elise.

They said they don't do PPI's. I asked why and they said for "legal reasons". They were unable to suggest anybody who could do a PPI on a Lotus.

Any suggestions on where I could get a PPI in the Dallas/Fort Worth area?

Thanks. Very much appreciated!

Ji3m (the 3 is silent)
Ji3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 11:14 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ji3m View Post
I just called the local Lotus dealership in Plano, TX to ask how much they would charge for a PPI of a Lotus Elise.

They said they don't do PPI's. I asked why and they said for "legal reasons". They were unable to suggest anybody who could do a PPI on a Lotus.

Any suggestions on where I could get a PPI in the Dallas/Fort Worth area?

Thanks. Very much appreciated!

Ji3m (the 3 is silent)
Maybe try Autoscope Park Cities? They are the only other shop around that I know has worked on several Lotuses. For as big as DFW is, there are surprisingly little resources out there for our cars.
2006 ST Exige - GT-28RS, Darton sleeved/decked/line-honed, ARP hardware, Wiseco 8.8:1 pistons, MWR valves/springs/retainers, RC injectors, Walbro pump, CWorx oil pump, Moroso oil pan, S111 TrackMounts, Spearco intercooler, GReddy catch-can, Turbosmart BOV, Fidanza clutch/flywheel CF Panels/scoops, S111 Rear Diffuser/Rear-Panel Delete/discNOIR Brakes w/SS lines/RTDbrace/Towhook, APR CF Splitter Alpine unit w/MBQuart, CF binnacle/shifter, Schroth harness, S111 shift brace (Sold)
bpfergu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Such moderate

Which car are you looking at? I'll be down there thursday and wouldnt mind going and taking a look if I get a chance.
doge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpfergu View Post
Maybe try Autoscope Park Cities? They are the only other shop around that I know has worked on several Lotuses. For as big as DFW is, there are surprisingly little resources out there for our cars.
+1
2007 Exige S Chrome Orange
Mickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Such moderate

Are you still looking at the purple one?
Old 11-05-2012, 02:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yeah, it's the purple one at the Volkswagen dealership in McKinney:

Used 2006 Lotus Elise For Sale in Dallas & McKinney TX | VIN: SCCPC11186HL30030

Would love to go with you to see it and get your comments first hand. However, I could only go in the evening after work.

Ji3m
Ji3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Another +1 for Auto Scope

I was a noob and needed an objective report on a Lotus I was considering in the Dallas area, they were very easy to deal with, knew the car, very thorough, great report, willing to discuss by phone (I was in Virginia, had never seen the car). Price was very reasonable, I would highly recommend them. Multiple locations in DFW area.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Autoscope would be good to go to, personally I don't like the plano dealership...my dad bought his Elise there and the guy was awesome(until after he bought his elise) Dunno, would think their salesman there would be a little more personable after the sale...guess I was wrong.

Would love to meet up with some of you fellow DFW Lotus owners, we should schedule a meet up! =D

-Ty-
TyMurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

In a perfect world, you will want an ECU data dump, as it will give information abotu engine usage, time in rpm bands, that kind of thing and maybe the dealer will at least do that if Autoscope does not have the data. Be sure the PPI includes a visual inspection of the cam lobes, leakdown test, and then other basics like looking for leaks, chafes, damage, signs of previoulsy-repaired damage, and the rest.
kverges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
Such moderate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kverges View Post
Be sure the PPI includes a visual inspection of the cam lobes, leakdown test, and then other basics like looking for leaks, chafes, damage, signs of previoulsy-repaired damage, and the rest.
That would be one hell of a PPI.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:47 PM   #11 (permalink)

I called Autoscope. Very friendly and polite. The PPI is $300. Compression check and leak-down test are extra. I believe it was $125 for the compression check and $150 for the leak-down if I remember right. I'll have to call back to see if they dump the ECU data.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:20 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ji3m View Post
I called Autoscope. Very friendly and polite. The PPI is $300. Compression check and leak-down test are extra. I believe it was $125 for the compression check and $150 for the leak-down if I remember right. I'll have to call back to see if they dump the ECU data.
Compression check is a 20 minute job tops FWIW. You could easily do this yourself.
2006 ST Exige - GT-28RS, Darton sleeved/decked/line-honed, ARP hardware, Wiseco 8.8:1 pistons, MWR valves/springs/retainers, RC injectors, Walbro pump, CWorx oil pump, Moroso oil pan, S111 TrackMounts, Spearco intercooler, GReddy catch-can, Turbosmart BOV, Fidanza clutch/flywheel CF Panels/scoops, S111 Rear Diffuser/Rear-Panel Delete/discNOIR Brakes w/SS lines/RTDbrace/Towhook, APR CF Splitter Alpine unit w/MBQuart, CF binnacle/shifter, Schroth harness, S111 shift brace (Sold)
bpfergu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:53 AM   #13 (permalink)
Gamera The Atomic Turtle

those purple cars seem rare. Really good looking.
Lotus Elise #134 - June/2004 build date - BOE REV400 street car built at BOE in KC. , Stock motor, low boost w/stock cat/mani, 336.4bhp, (5.95 lbs/hp) passes all 50 states emissions/OBD, BOE ST exhaust, ACT HDSS, BOE Clam Hinge, BOE Oil Cooler Relocation, BOE Surge Tank/750cc injectors, BOE Race Links, MWR Rear Lift Kit etc. 0-100 = you bet!
Build thread :
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f160...seline-114302/
komiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:13 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw330ciandr6 View Post
That would be one hell of a PPI.
Other than ECU dump I can do this in 3-4 hours max in a properly equipped shop and even at $120 an hour for a professional mechanic it should be under $500. All 4 wheels and undertray should come off to do it right.

My personal rate would be way higher as I have more projects than time
Old 11-08-2012, 07:17 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpfergu View Post
Compression check is a 20 minute job tops FWIW. You could easily do this yourself.
That is a bit of exaggeration as you have to get the car in the shop all the plugs and coil packs out and figure out how to crank the engine without the injectors and coils firing. The latter point I actually don't know how to easily do without tapping into the wire harness. I actually think a leakdown is easier since you can hand crank to TDC on each cylinder
Old 11-08-2012, 11:02 AM   #16 (permalink)

DFW Lotus hopeful and also new to the site . Have been considering making the trip up to McKinney to check out the purple Elise - not to buy that particular one, but to try to get a test drive and get a real feel for the car. If any other DFW Elise owners wouldn't mind taking me along for a ride or letting me take a look at their car in person, it would be really helpful for my hunt!

Went up to Lotus Plano to look at Evoras. Their Lotus rep was with someone else - despite an appointment - and after 20 minutes sent a more junior guy to give me the test drive. The junior guy was much nicer and seemed more passionate about the cars, pretty sure his name was Justin. After the drive and another 20 minutes, the main salesman came out for a minute and tried to explain what a great deal the car was at ~88k "because any and all of the parts can be bought at your local Autozone, even the seats!" He then had to get back to his other client. Main guy wasn't so great and a bit dismissive, but may just have been really busy. Younger guy was really well-informed about the full Lotus range and seemed to love the brand.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:29 AM   #17 (permalink)
Such moderate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kverges View Post
That is a bit of exaggeration as you have to get the car in the shop all the plugs and coil packs out and figure out how to crank the engine without the injectors and coils firing. The latter point I actually don't know how to easily do without tapping into the wire harness. I actually think a leakdown is easier since you can hand crank to TDC on each cylinder
Disconnect the coils, and pull the fuel pump fuse.

And a compression test on these cars shouldn't take more than 30 minutes at the MOST.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:48 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrodman View Post
DFW Lotus hopeful and also new to the site . Have been considering making the trip up to McKinney to check out the purple Elise - not to buy that particular one, but to try to get a test drive and get a real feel for the car. If any other DFW Elise owners wouldn't mind taking me along for a ride or letting me take a look at their car in person, it would be really helpful for my hunt!
Where about in Dallas do you live? Might be able to meet up with you so you can take a look at mine =)

I'm in Allen, just south of McKinney =P

-Ty-
TyMurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:59 AM   #19 (permalink)

Hey, thanks!

I'm in the uptown / Oak Lawn area of Dallas, so about a half hour away. I don't find myself up that way too often. But for the chance to see an Elise, I think I could make up an excuse!

Sorry to be taking this thread away from the intedned direction, but how is it driving an Elise around this area? I haven't seen too, too many optimal Lotus Roads. Seems like we have pretty ideal weather for one though.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:52 PM   #20 (permalink)

Garage
Sportscarworld in Dallas
'12 Evora S GP Special Edition #1/14 with BOE-KomoTec Stage 1.8 (BOE CAI, Custom BOE Tune and Larini Sport on top of KomoTec Stage 1)
Lotus Driving Academy Level 3 School 1:1 w/ Ed Morris @ Hethel
New to piston power, my other track toys have Rotaries
Julian73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Regions > Texas Region