The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Help if possible in MA

2K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  exigegus 
#1 ·
Has anyone run into a problem with this? Picture will be below. The hex screw is stripped (top part) and tried three different types of hex keys (allen wrenches) and it wont budge. Basically want to check out the fuses since something isnt working correctly. I only accessed the fuse box (front right side) ONLY once with no problem. Other times it was done at dealership. Anyone in MA (Boston area) could help me out with this tiny little task it would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Sam

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Hey Sam,
If you have a drill, you should be able to use an "easy out" bit on that.

Take the bolt from the other side to Lowes and get another SS one.

My schedule is stupid right now, otherwise I'd meet up with you somewhere and see if we could get it out.

If you can't get a hold of a drill and easy out shoot me a PM and I'll figure out a time for you to come by and try to get that sucker free.

Chris

#4 ·
Another option is to use a a cut-off wheel on a dremel and cut a transverse slot across the head, then unscrew it with a flat-head screwdriver. If the remaining head of the screw starts to break off, then finish cutting off the head with the dremel, lift off the panel, and grab the shaft of the screw with vice grips and unscrew it.

Good luck!

#5 ·
If you use a Dremel, make sure you tape up the entire area....with many layers.

#9 ·
Awesome! Thanks for the suggestions. I am definitely going to do this, but have someone else help me out.

#14 ·
got it! what a relief. i know the size is m5 x 20, but what screw should i get that is similar to my somewhat stripped one i have in the photo? once again thanks for the suggestions and offers.

#15 ·
Great to hear! How did you manage in the end?

As for replacement I'd advise going with another M5x20 SS button head cap screw like you have... but don't go all Arnold when tightening it up (it is only an M5 ;)). Mine looked exactly the same as yours when I got my car... managed to get them out with a new metric allen key... then replaced with new ones and no problem for the next nine years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.