Autocross next season - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 09:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Autocross next season

Hey guys, I am already super excited for autocrossing next season. I was wondering if anyone would like to form an actually friendly competition between just us Lotus guys. I like autocrossing with the Chicago VW club. They are a great group of guys and very well organized. I was thinking we could just piggy back off of all of their events over the summer and we can keep track of times amongst ourselves.

I would really like this to be a solid competition between us Lotus guys. Maybe two different groups like FI cars are one group and the NA cars are another. Or maybe do it in teams like pairing up a FI car with an NA car and times are added together. Idk how it'd all work out. Maybe we can all pool a bit of money(maybe like $20) and after a certain amount of events, top three cars/teams split the money. Or we pool together and buy some Lotus swag like key chains, apparel, gift cards, or even parts. We can even make a funny trophy that will get passed on to the next season's winner. It'd be a really fun, cheap, and hilarious tradition. Also, we'll all get to hang out more often than just going on large group drives.

Unfortunately, we'd have to be somewhat committed to the competition. I know we all have jobs but most autocross events are on Sunday and most events are fairly local.

Let me know what you guys think. I think it'd be really fun and it'd give us reason to go all out on the track.
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 09:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

man that sounds really fun, wish I could participate lol
Old 11-29-2012, 12:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

I think this is a good idea too! I'd have to think more but it would be cool if we allowed for some flexibility (ie not everyone has to show up to all events to be ranked).

However, scoring would definitely be easier with assumed participation in all events. Then you make a smaller number of events part of the competition so that people have a decent shot at being able to participate 100%.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

That sounds like a freaking blast.
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds62f View Post
I think this is a good idea too! I'd have to think more but it would be cool if we allowed for some flexibility (ie not everyone has to show up to all events to be ranked).

However, scoring would definitely be easier with assumed participation in all events. Then you make a smaller number of events part of the competition so that people have a decent shot at being able to participate 100%.
Yeah we can figure something out where you don't have to make 100% of the events. I go offroading alot during the spring and summer, sometimes that consumes my entire weekend. We should formulate some kind of point system that would make everything reasonably fair yet still able to accommodate everyone's schedules.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

i will definitly be in for some more auto-xing this coming year. Count me in!
Old 11-29-2012, 06:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

I think if we had around 5-6 guys would make this a really fun competition. I was thinking more about this tonight and I have a decent idea that would eliminate the need to show up for every event. Maybe we could just treat each event like a tournament. Drivers or teams would score points each run. Or we could just compare everyone's times each run and the top guy wins the round. Most rounds won by the end of the day gets the cheesy trophy. The guy that takes the trophy home has to show up to the next planned event with the trophy. Maybe we could take it a step further and say whoever wins the most event in the year wins the pool of money, prizes, whatever, and gets to keep the trophy as a mantle piece to display their autocross awesomeness.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:18 AM   #8 (permalink)

I believe CVO alteady has a point system in place for their events to track for the season (I certainly could be wrong, it's been years). If not I know Audi club has a point system I could get. Rather than reinventing the wheel maybe just borrow an existing format and use the points from the best 3 or 4 finishes. That way if someone misses one or two events they can still be competitive and if someone is struggling a bit they can be rewarded by showing up for all the events and having their worst finish or two dropped from the calculation. Just a thought. Thanks for the enthusiasm to move this forward!

The bitterest tears are shed over graves for words left unsaid & deeds left undone - Harriet Beecher Stowe
KenRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:42 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenRK View Post
I believe CVO alteady has a point system in place for their events to track for the season (I certainly could be wrong, it's been years). If not I know Audi club has a point system I could get. Rather than reinventing the wheel maybe just borrow an existing format and use the points from the best 3 or 4 finishes. That way if someone misses one or two events they can still be competitive and if someone is struggling a bit they can be rewarded by showing up for all the events and having their worst finish or two dropped from the calculation. Just a thought. Thanks for the enthusiasm to move this forward!
Good idea. I didn't know that a point system already existed. I'll look into it a bit further.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:49 AM   #10 (permalink)

I would be up for this. Never tried autocross, but have 35+ track days under my belt. Probably wouldn't be able to make every event either, due to work travel.

Keep us posted.....
ZQQM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:57 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZQQM View Post
I would be up for this. Never tried autocross, but have 35+ track days under my belt. Probably wouldn't be able to make every event either, due to work travel.

Keep us posted.....
With 35+ track days under your belt, you'll likely smoke all of us. You don't need any racing experience to autocross. Heck, my first autocross event was this past summer and I've never had any racing experience. I'm sure if enough people show interest in this thread, we'll build up a good group for next season and things with start to fall into place.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:02 AM   #12 (permalink)

Pooter, Thanks for the pointer to this thread. I'll see you guys at the events. I'm not sure I'll be able to compete on the teams, my car looks like it ate a lotus (Fat car needs a thousand pound diet). We should see how close our times are, and if it makes sense I'll try to get more of the Vette guys out.

Cheers,

-J
J Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:36 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooter View Post
With 35+ track days under your belt, you'll likely smoke all of us. You don't need any racing experience to autocross. Heck, my first autocross event was this past summer and I've never had any racing experience. I'm sure if enough people show interest in this thread, we'll build up a good group for next season and things with start to fall into place.
heck, im still not as fast as costlydakota, not even close,, he'll wipe us all.....
ZQQM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:45 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZQQM View Post
heck, im still not as fast as costlydakota, not even close,, he'll wipe us all.....
Not exactly. I was very close behind him the last time we went!
Old 11-30-2012, 12:12 PM   #15 (permalink)
Orange

I'm in!

I never made it to an autocross event, but I'm excited for it - hey, gotta pop the cherry sometime, eh?

I like the fact that they are local (Sears Centre, Maywood, etc).

I sold my place in Lake Geneva so I should have more availability on weekends in the season.

But what the hell, it's like 55 outside and sunny. Get out and drive!!!
-'08 Elise SC (Chrome Orange) - was stock for about an hour. Rota Torques, Difflow 3 element, Micro Mirror, Lidbone, upgraded speakers/headunit/amp, BMW M3 wheel studs, RLS nav mount, garage door remote mod, MrC radar bracket, hardwired GPS/radar, Larini SC, LotusShii glove box, Lowtush splitter, OnRailsEngineering double cup holder, carpeted interior. Ghost B.C. blasting from the stereo. 100% awesome.
-'14 Audi S4 Quattro (Daily Driver)
SwingLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:17 PM   #16 (permalink)

Unfortunately my Midwest Region locality is in Saint Paul Minnesota.

A lot of guys in my club go to events in Milwaukee, but I do about 10 events a year closer to home.

Big-track or racing experience does not always translate to autocross. I knew one guy who had the lap record at Blackhawk, and he could not adjust to autocross. Said things happened too fast for him.
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited, Regal Blue Pearl
http://www.mnautox.com
philethier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:41 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooter View Post
Not exactly. I was very close behind him the last time we went!
I look forward to the competition next year. And I won't be running wore out tires this time
Old 12-01-2012, 09:26 PM   #18 (permalink)

Well Kim got second in our class the first time she drove my car in a autox, so just send the check/bling to her address. And now she has her own car so we are all screwed. (she got 6th over all out of 26 drivers and the only ones that beat her were the top drivers in each class)

I will be deploying this spring but will hit as many events as I can. I enjoy a track better but I will do my best. Hopefully not like that autox I did with you guys, I won't be a week out of surgery and whacked out on pain meds. Hell, I don't even remember being there, but at least i wasn't last

Last edited by cashxdr; 12-01-2012 at 09:47 PM.
cashxdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:58 AM   #19 (permalink)

Garage
Im down. There are 4 or 5 clubs in the area, so there is pretty much something every week. Also, check out the Miata club. They give you by far the most runs usually 12-16.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:08 PM   #20 (permalink)

Potentially important consideration when partnering with a host club would be availability of rental helmets for our participants who are newer to this and might not have justified the purchase of their own helmet yet.

The bitterest tears are shed over graves for words left unsaid & deeds left undone - Harriet Beecher Stowe
KenRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Regions > Midwest Region